PDA

View Full Version : Question on follow thru

sureshs
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
I have been watching several of the TTC Academy segments and they keep saying the modern forehand (obviously excluding the reverse FH) finishes across the body instead of high up as taught previously. So I tried it consciously on Sunday. The result was that the ball was always going more to the left (I am a rightie) than usual. Also it seems to contradict the "follow thru towards the target" suggestion. How do you finish across the shoulder when you don't want the ball to go the left?

The_Steak
01-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Body positioning.

The_Steak
01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Oh, also use a closed stance if you want to hit dtl. (Take a step forward when you hit)

i8myshirt
01-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Maybe since you're not used to it, you're swinging too early forcing the ball to go to the left.

Ballinbob
01-06-2009, 01:43 PM
^^^Agree. You have to hit it out in front more. You should be able to hit dtl and cross court with this follow through and with an open stance, so I dont think your stance needs changing. Try hitting it out in front more than you usually do, I think that should do the trick. It will take practice timing it, but it should help.

LeeD
01-06-2009, 01:56 PM
More than anything, you are mixing old school advice with maybe new school strokes and grips.
Wrap the forehand followtru around your other side if you hit semi to full western.
Follow the other advice if you hit continental or eastern forehands with traditional backswings for each.
But really, you hear something, you try it once, and you expect it to work?
Don't mix 1974 swing advice with 1995 hitting styles.

wihamilton
01-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I have been watching several of the TTC Academy segments and they keep saying the modern forehand (obviously excluding the reverse FH) finishes across the body instead of high up as taught previously. So I tried it consciously on Sunday. The result was that the ball was always going more to the left (I am a rightie) than usual. Also it seems to contradict the "follow thru towards the target" suggestion. How do you finish across the shoulder when you don't want the ball to go the left?

It's important to understand that how a player swings prior to and at contact influences how he / she follows through. The modern forehand finishes across the body because the swing up to the tennis ball is different from how it's done on the classic forehand.

It sounds like you are incorrectly adjusting your swing path to get the racket to finish across your body. You don't have to "swing more to the left." Rather, you swing "up" on the ball more. You hit with more topspin. Making your swing plane more vertical alters how you should be following through. Bringing the racket up over your shoulder is no longer appropriate. Instead, you need to follow through with a windshield wiper finish. Turn your arm / racket over during the follow through to smoothly decelerate. This will cause the racket to finish lower down (across the body) than on an "old-school" forehand.

Here's a video on the windshield wiper forehand (http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/videos/index.php/view/948/221/Tennis_Windshield_Wiper_Forehand) that may help you. Let me know.

sureshs
01-06-2009, 02:06 PM
I use a SW on the FH

LeeD
01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Then SW you don't follow the old school advice... not high nor towards the target.