PDA

View Full Version : Peachtree City Tennis

smithy173
01-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm looking for a good place to retire at.Someone told me about Peachtree City Ga.They said they have a great tennis center in Peachtree City.Anyone here every play there.Do they have different leagues.Just looking for some good tennis to play in a few years.Thanks

PushyPushster
01-07-2009, 07:16 AM
I can't tell you about Peachtree City specifically, but the metro Atlanta area has tons of tennis opportunities. ALTA dwarfs USTA in Atlanta so if you like to play doubles you're in for a treat. KSwiss, T2, and Peach tennis are all separate singles/doubles leagues and I think USTA just introduced their Flex singles league here as well. Between ALTA, USTA, and KSwiss (Ultimate Tennis) you can be involved in league play pretty much year-round.

JSF1
01-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Hey Smithy,
Peachtree City is a great place for tennis. USTA, Alta leagues and the others listed above. Tennis Center link is http://www.tenniscenter.net/default.htm

and there is another tennis center located at the YMCA in nearby Newnan. Many other neighborhood and city courts around as well. The Tennis Center is city owned, but charges a membership fee. Full service with pro shop, several teaching pros, etc.

treo
01-07-2009, 08:31 PM
If your retired in Peachtree City and play golf and tennis, you can get everywhere in a golf cart which is a mode of transportation there.

Z-Man
01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
It's a really nice area--a planned community with covenants, golf cart paths, and lots of golf and tennis. Atlanta is close and the airport is really close. That area (Fayette County) tends to fight growth, so although it's nice and retail is somewhat developed, it's not going to get as over-developed as the northern ATL suburbs. Fayette County has the highest median income in GA.

The tennis center is nice. Hard and clay plus some indoor hardcourts. The Summit YMCA down the road in Newnan also has nice courts plus a killer indoor pool and workout center/gym.

I hear the ALTA AA3 team at the Summit is packed with studs from LaGrange. HA!

JesseT
01-13-2009, 08:35 AM
It's a really nice area--a planned community with covenants, golf cart paths, and lots of golf and tennis. Atlanta is close and the airport is really close. That area (Fayette County) tends to fight growth, so although it's nice and retail is somewhat developed, it's not going to get as over-developed as the northern ATL suburbs. Fayette County has the highest median income in GA.

The tennis center is nice. Hard and clay plus some indoor hardcourts. The Summit YMCA down the road in Newnan also has nice courts plus a killer indoor pool and workout center/gym.

I hear the ALTA AA3 team at the Summit is packed with studs from LaGrange. HA!

I'll second the "it's nice" comments. Planned community. Golf carts everywhere. Great golf. Great tennis. Self contained.

Just be aware that "close" is Atlanta-close not what-normal-humans-think-is-close. Downtown/midtown is ~40 minutes away without traffic. Fayette is really rural piedmont, not suburban hills. You're 4 hours from N. GA mtns and 2hrs from Stone Mountain. Compared to us N Fulton folk, you *are* closer to the Airport, Augusta and Calloway. Good bonuses for retirees, for sure.

netman
01-17-2009, 02:10 PM
The Greater Atlanta Metro Area is tennis heaven. You can play year round in any format you want - doubles, singles, mixed, age class - heck you can be on 3-4 teams a season if you want.

PT City is nice. Here in the ATL we are use to having to drive 30-45 minutes to get to something so don't let that deter you.

qq49h
01-23-2009, 06:41 AM
Peachtree City is a great place for tennis. The PTC tennis center has great programs, coaches, and numerous teams you can join. As one of the posters said, ALTA is the biggest league around here and it is doubles. If singles is what you like then the k-swiss league is very good. I play out of the Newnan YMCA on a men's alta team, mixed alta team, and USTA team. The one complaint I have about the south Atlanta tennis is that once you get above 4.0 it is hard to find teams so alot of 4.5 and 5.0 players play in 4.0. It's ok now but when I first moved to 4.0 it was a huge jump.

Z-Man
01-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I play out of the Newnan YMCA on a men's alta team, mixed alta team, and USTA team.
You must be on one of Steve's 20 teams. I'll bet we've played at some point!

Slicendicer
01-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Atlanta tennis is strong. ALTA Mixed is alot of fun. On the Mens Alta, I had more bad experiences than not... including playing mixed across from the idiot Luke Jensen. The guy is French Open champ, and he's ripping forehands at my partner at net, what a tool. Theres alot of that in ALTA though. As for Peachtree City, it's great out there.

Court Valkyrie
01-29-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm looking for a good place to retire at.Someone told me about Peachtree City Ga.They said they have a great tennis center in Peachtree City.Anyone here every play there.Do they have different leagues.Just looking for some good tennis to play in a few years.Thanks

If you have the money, I heard that the Manor in Alpharetta is nice. Indoor courts. Clay courts. Golf. Gated community.

Court Valkyrie
01-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Atlanta tennis is strong. ALTA Mixed is alot of fun. On the Mens Alta, I had more bad experiences than not... including playing mixed across from the idiot Luke Jensen. The guy is French Open champ, and he's ripping forehands at my partner at net, what a tool. Theres alot of that in ALTA though. As for Peachtree City, it's great out there.

What level were you playing at to play against Luke? If you are in the AA range...don't complain.

Slicendicer
01-29-2009, 07:41 PM
What level were you playing at to play against Luke? If you are in the AA range...don't complain.

AA1. Yeah, well the guy is to good a player to be playing ALTA. And he would just rip the ball at my partner, not a "chip and dipper" as Jensen would call it... a full swing flat drive right freaking at her, totally uncalled for considering he could pretty much place the ball anywhere he wanted.

Anyhoo...

spot
01-30-2009, 05:57 AM
at some point we'll have to get all the Atlanta tennis people from this board together for some hitting.

Z-Man
01-30-2009, 02:29 PM
If you have the money, I heard that the Manor in Alpharetta is nice. Indoor courts. Clay courts. Golf. Gated community.

http://www.discoverwindermere.com/

I played an ALTA match at this place once. It was pretty nice. About as far north as PTC is south, but still impressive. I'll bet there are a few of these places around depending on your finances. There is a lot of tennis in ATL. I'm sorry I haven't run into Luke. As a headhunter, I have a few scalps on my wall--that would be a nice one to have.

Look for me in line 5 of the Newnan AA3 team. I'll see you guys on the courts!

smithy173
02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Hey Z-man,How are the players at the Newnan YMCA.I when online and its seems like a nice place.It has alot to offer.Maybe if I move down there I'll join both the Peachtree City club and The Newnan Y.Can you tell me how much the membership is at the Newnan Y.Thanks

TheGreatestAudia
02-26-2009, 07:17 AM
at some point we'll have to get all the Atlanta tennis people from this board together for some hitting.

I second that. Acworth/Kennesaw anyone?

qq49h
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
You must be on one of Steve's 20 teams. I'll bet we've played at some point!

I'm mostly been on Rogin's teams

Z-Man
02-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey Z-man,How are the players at the Newnan YMCA.I when online and its seems like a nice place.It has alot to offer.Maybe if I move down there I'll join both the Peachtree City club and The Newnan Y.Can you tell me how much the membership is at the Newnan Y.Thanks

I'm not sure about the total membership (including the pool and gym and whatever else they have). Just a single tennis membership was under $100. I don't recall exactly how much, and I'm not sure if that was for a season or not. The players at the Summit YMCA are pretty decent. Just like everywhere else, it depends on your level. There is a small group of very good 4.5s. There are quite a few 4.0, and lots of 3.5s. Once you get into ALTA, between that and USTA there's more league tennis than you'll want to play--unless you're a 5.0, in which case it's always tough to get a match, but you can be my partner any time.

That area is really nice. As others have pointed out, it's not really Atlanta. It's more like a small southern town close to the big city. But Fayette and Coweta have developed in a very nice way. You should check it out. Also check out North Atlanta and in-town so you'll know what's out there.

smithy173
02-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your reply Z-Man.I'm a 4.0 player.I play alot of team tennis for the club I belong to here in New Jersey.There's alot of good tennis here in the northeast.The only problem is the weather no tennis from Nov to April.

tideronthehooch
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
PC is a nice place, especially if you want to retire there. Not too far from the airport for going in/out of the airport, close enough to sports attractions like Braves, Falcons, etc., without Atlanta headaches like traffic and Fulton County government.

runningmann
04-09-2009, 09:25 PM
The pro at the center played Bjorn Borg. Gets my vote every time.