PDA

View Full Version : Big Ace eats through PSGD

Okazaki Fragment
01-06-2009, 01:42 PM
In less than 1 week, Big Ace mains has managed to break the PSGD crosses. I'm shocked but I see now why so many people break their crosses. I hate to see how fast PSGD mains break with BA crosses. Are there any durable PSGD-like crosses with BA?

Well, off to commit sacrilege against Yulitle and the USRSA gods.

lawlitssoo1n
01-06-2009, 01:51 PM
hahah exact samething happened to me!

Nanshiki
01-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Big Ace cuts through Big Ace too :p

Okazaki Fragment
01-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Just strung up Lightning crosses. I bet it'll kill BA just like it killed natural gut.

BA vs Lightning...who will win?

Bottle Rocket
01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
If you're using a polyester for durability purposes, as a general rule, I've found that hybrids are a complete waste of time. It just doesn't make sense and the playability increases very slightly, if at all.

On the other hand, natural gut is actually fairly durable as a cross string, but then things get so expensive that it doesn't make much sense.

hoodjem
01-06-2009, 03:05 PM
NRG2 has some poly in it. Maybe that will hold up.

Or, you could cross with Kevlar.

scotus
01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
String savers

lawlitssoo1n
01-06-2009, 03:15 PM
SPIRAL FLEX or titan(its softer than psgd)

Okazaki Fragment
01-06-2009, 03:21 PM
SPIRAL FLEX or titan(its softer than psgd)

I thought Lightning was Sprial Flex?

lawlitssoo1n
01-06-2009, 09:35 PM
not not really. i would say
psgo=titan
psgd=spiral flex

correct me if im wrong

hellonewbie
01-06-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't think mains saw through the crosses like the crosses would saw through mains. You just hit too hard and broke the cross string, don't blame big ace for that :-)

PROTENNIS63
01-07-2009, 03:22 AM
not not really. i would say
psgo=titan
psgd=spiral flex

correct me if im wrong

Titan is a very soft syn. gut- almost multi like so it is not PSGO. Spiral Flex I would say is similar to PSGD.

01-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Just use a thicker gauge of Big Ace

01-07-2009, 07:47 AM
If you're using a polyester for durability purposes, as a general rule, I've found that hybrids are a complete waste of time. It just doesn't make sense and the playability increases very slightly, if at all.

On the other hand, natural gut is actually fairly durable as a cross string, but then things get so expensive that it doesn't make much sense.

good post....

hellonewbie
01-07-2009, 08:47 AM

If one typically breaks mains much earlier than crosses, then it does improve durability by changing the mains to polyester string. This is exactly why I do poly hybrid because it ups the durability of a string job by 3x for me.

hoodjem
01-07-2009, 09:01 AM

I hear you, but I really like hybrids: good durability, decent feel and touch, no string movement, lots of spin and control, decent power, not exorbitant.

It takes some work and experimentation, but IMO, it's the best compromise of all types of strings.

01-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I hear you, but I really like hybrids: good durability, decent feel and touch, no string movement, lots of spin and control, decent power, not exorbitant.

It takes some work and experimentation, but IMO, it's the best compromise of all types of strings.

I like that hybrids add some touch, while retaining precision and spin on shots. Durability is not one of my top 3 issues, although there is some help there for most folks as well.

hoodjem
01-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Although I am doing my best to increase the spin on my shots, I am still not a string-breaker. So durability is not much of an issue for me either.

01-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Although I am doing my best to increase the spin on my shots, I am still not a string-breaker. So durability is not much of an issue for me either.

I break more if playing more singles, but I play mostly dubs now. Serving less than half as often (less deuce games) and way fewer big FHs due to getting to net, as well as less overall swings.

lawlitssoo1n
01-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Titan is a very soft syn. gut- almost multi like so it is not PSGO. Spiral Flex I would say is similar to PSGD.

well i meant that by the structure of the string. not how they play

Okazaki Fragment
01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm happy to report that Prince Lightning tore through Big Ace like it was nothing. Lightning is absolutely lethal to Mains.

chang10is
01-12-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm happy to report that Prince Lightning tore through Big Ace like it was nothing. Lightning is absolutely lethal to Mains.

Okazaki, how many hours of play do you get out of:
1) an all synthetic gut setup
2) Big Ace mains with PSGD crosses
3) Big Ace mains with Prince Lightning crosses?

I'm curious because I just bought Big Ace for the first time recently and am trying to figure out what to hybrid with it.

Okazaki Fragment
01-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Okazaki, how many hours of play do you get out of:
1) an all synthetic gut setup
2) Big Ace mains with PSGD crosses
3) Big Ace mains with Prince Lightning crosses?

I'm curious because I just bought Big Ace for the first time recently and am trying to figure out what to hybrid with it.

1) less than 8 hours
2) about 8 hours
3) less than 8 hours

Doesn't look like BA is friendly with other strings. Of course, I think someone earlier said BA also chewed through BA. Good luck!

det3
01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
i wish i could get 8 hours out of a stringjob. I've been doing pro hurricane tour on the mains, and a syn gut on the crosses and i've been thrilled to get about 6 or 7 hours. I thought i had struck gold with that setup.. haha...maybe i should keep experimenting...