PDA

View Full Version : Who will fall in 09?

Michael Bluth
01-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Who do you think will be the players who suffer from a dramatic fall in rankings this year? Last year some prominent examples were:

Haas: 12 to 80
Hewitt: 20 to 70
Ferrero: 22 to 52
Baghdatis: 16 to 96
Chela: 19 to 141.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Fed will probably take another plunge (although not as low as the examples went) if he still has that back injury. maybe even down to #5 if Tsonga makes some magic and Murray lives to all the hype. But my bet for biggest Top 30 faller is Davydenko. He is past winning Slams and it's tough competition in the Master's.

norbac
01-06-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't see either Fernando Gonzalez or James Blake doing much this year.

T1000
01-06-2009, 02:32 PM
i can see nadal going to 3 or 4 if his knees act up again. davydenko will definitly fall. karlovic will the way the courts are slowing down

Feņa14
01-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I see Djokovic isn't getting on too well with his new racket, i'm not predicting a major fall but he could struggle a bit.

anointedone
01-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Fed will probably take another plunge (although not as low as the examples went) if he still has that back injury. maybe even down to #5 if Tsonga makes some magic and Murray lives to all the hype. But my bet for biggest Top 30 faller is Davydenko. He is past winning Slams and it's tough competition in the Master's.

Even if worst comes to worst and Tsonga does something bigtime, there is no way Federer would fall below Tsonga in the rankings IMO. Tsonga is nowhere near consistent enough a day in day out performer, he is hopeless on clay, and he is injury prone.

counter_puncher
01-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Wow. Chela is now 141?

Michael Bluth
01-06-2009, 03:07 PM
My own bets would be Blake, Gonzo and Ferrer.

joshburger
01-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I see Djokovic isn't getting on too well with his new racket, i'm not predicting a major fall but he could struggle a bit.

hel probably just stick with the racquet hes confortable with and put a paintjob on it, like all the pros do

norbac
01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow. Chela is now 141?

Whoa, he's freaking old. He should've retired like 110 years ago.

Jack Romeo
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
hel probably just stick with the racquet hes confortable with and put a paintjob on it, like all the pros do

apparently novak is actually using a new head racket. he said he struggled to serve with it in his first match this year. so maybe he will go back to the wilson and just do with a head paintjob.

mrmo1115
01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't see either Fernando Gonzalez or James Blake doing much this year.

But I don't see them going down like the players that were mentioned in the first post.

Nadal_Freak
01-06-2009, 04:02 PM
My own bets would be Blake, Gonzo and Ferrer.
Well said. Add Davydenko to that and that is my list. Maybe Karlovic as well.

Nadalator
01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Nadal will fall to the ground after winning his 2nd Wimbledon title!!!

Motherwasp
01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Ljubicic, Robredo, maybe Berdych

mrmo1115
01-06-2009, 04:09 PM

We can't say that after just one match . I didn't see the match ,but Gulbis might have played a solid match. He is always dangerous. Nadal knows that, he tells press before playing Gulbis that it will be tough, I think this was at Wimbledon?

Feņa14
01-06-2009, 05:55 PM
We can't say that after just one match . I didn't see the match ,but Gulbis might have played a solid match. He is always dangerous. Nadal knows that, he tells press before playing Gulbis that it will be tough, I think this was at Wimbledon?

Gulbis didn't play that well to be honest, Djokovic was just awful from the ground and his serve was even worse.

As I said, i'm not predicting a major decline from him but with Murray, Nadal, and a possible resurgent Federer.. he can't afford to give an inch.

mrmo1115
01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Gulbis didn't play that well to be honest, Djokovic was just awful from the ground and his serve was even worse.

As I said, i'm not predicting a major decline from him but with Murray, Nadal, a possible resurgent Federer.. he can't afford to give an inch.

Uh-oh, I say Djokovic won't win the AO...

veroniquem
01-06-2009, 06:01 PM

As I said, i'm not predicting a major decline from him but with Murray, Nadal, and a possible resurgent Federer.. he can't afford to give an inch.
I don't think he cared that much about that tournament anyway. I suspect he will be in much better shape at the AO. Remember the Master cup, not many people expected him to win it and yet, he did. I don't think he is the main favorite at AO either but I also don't think one should underestimate what he's capable of.

joshburger
01-06-2009, 06:08 PM
i day blake falls into the low twenties and a big run for nishikori lol

GameSampras
01-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Judging by the way Djoker played Gulbis, if he keeps this up he will end up falling instead of reach #1 or 2 in the world. It could most feasibly happen.. That inconsistent play of his isnt going to get him far. You never know what Djoker is going to show up these days. One day he can play like the best player on the planet, the next he sucks

egn
01-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Okay top 4 wise I am going to say Djokovic will be taking a bit of slip. Djokovic has a lot to defend early, and if he does not get on par he is going to see the biggest fall and it will be fast. Although his lead on Murray is huge and he is not that far behind Federer, Murray has nothing to defend at the Australian Open all he has to do is show up and his ranking stays the same...(and i bet he does more.) Federer on the other hand has to protect a semi. Even if he only makes it to the quarters if Djokovic doesn't win or misses the finals he will lose ground. Let us not forget he has two master series also, one being clay. I don't see him slipping too far, but if he doesnt shape up by France he can find himself sitting behind Murray and maybe a few more places back if someone else gets run. Though I see him staying in top 10..just there are chances he can fall out of top 5.

I see Blake and Simon easily falling out of the top 10, but they have strong end of the years so they can hang around for a while..but I see them falling. Gonzo and Nalby are also taken hits in my opinion.

I think Roddick is on the button I could see him falling but if he doesn't I will not be suprised...I mean I could see him playing decent enough tennis to be stable in the top 10 still. We will see though.

matchmaker
01-06-2009, 06:27 PM
apparently novak is actually using a new head racket. he said he struggled to serve with it in his first match this year. so maybe he will go back to the wilson and just do with a head paintjob.

That would be very ironic because during all his Wilson years he has been playing with a mold based on a Head frame.

anointedone
01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Judging by the way Djoker played Gulbis, if he keeps this up he will end up falling instead of reach #1 or 2 in the world. It could most feasibly happen.. That inconsistent play of his isnt going to get him far. You never know what Djoker is going to show up these days. One day he can play like the best player on the planet, the next he sucks

I did not see the match but Gulbis hits the cover off the ball. Even vs the best players they are at his mercy to some degree to whether he is keeping his shots in court or not.

coloskier
01-07-2009, 08:37 AM
I noticed that no one has said Roddick will fall. With all the Roddick haters on this board, I am shocked. Davydenko is already going to fall because of injury. Tsonga is too inconsistent. Gasquet can't get his head screwed on straight. Blake is another headcase. Never count out Karlovic, if for no other reason his serve. Baghdatis looks like he doesn't care any more. Moya might actually move up. Ferrer is done, everyone has figured out his game. Simon will probably run out of gas even faster than Nadal. Simon is a young Davydenko. Gonzalez is too inconsistent. I predict Murray will overtake Djokovic, but not Fed or Nadal. Nadal will have to cut back on tournaments this year or his body will crater. Either that or change to a more aggressive game to end points faster, which he is capable of doing but doesn't like to do it. People will start to figure out Murray's game this year, and Murray by the end of the year will not have the success he had at the end of last year.

diegaa
01-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Wow. Chela is now 141?

Whoa, he's freaking old. He should've retired like 110 years ago.

He was injured most part of the season (he had surgery for something in his groin, i think). Besides, he isnt that old and he was a consistant top 40 for like 5 or 6 years. Why he should've retired? Nonsense.

bladepdb
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Definitely Davydenko now in light of his recent injury. I don't think it'll be a huge drop in rankings for him but anytime someone who is in the top 10 so consistently drops out of the top 10 (which I speculate), it's usually a big fall for their career.

I think Roddick is in a position where he can either climb back up or he will fall spectacularly. I'm guessing the latter.

Blake is definitely done this year IMO as far as being in Top 10 is concerned.

Telepatic
01-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Ferrer/Blake/Davydenko

Nadal_Freak
01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
I noticed that no one has said Roddick will fall. With all the Roddick haters on this board, I am shocked. Davydenko is already going to fall because of injury. Tsonga is too inconsistent. Gasquet can't get his head screwed on straight. Blake is another headcase. Never count out Karlovic, if for no other reason his serve. Baghdatis looks like he doesn't care any more. Moya might actually move up. Ferrer is done, everyone has figured out his game. Simon will probably run out of gas even faster than Nadal. Simon is a young Davydenko. Gonzalez is too inconsistent. I predict Murray will overtake Djokovic, but not Fed or Nadal. Nadal will have to cut back on tournaments this year or his body will crater. Either that or change to a more aggressive game to end points faster, which he is capable of doing but doesn't like to do it. People will start to figure out Murray's game this year, and Murray by the end of the year will not have the success he had at the end of last year.
Roddick will stay in his consistent lose to the top players and hang barely in the top 10. Not a huge dropoff.

thejoe
01-07-2009, 01:01 PM

I'm not sure about Karlovic. His game is so centred around that serve, that his movement could drastically worsen, and his drop would not be that dramatic. His enormous stride gets him to the net quick enough, and he rarely even has to play a volley :p

tacou
01-07-2009, 01:25 PM
If davy has problems with injuries like he has already then he'll slide quickly. Gonzo and Blake don't have much left but they should stay within the top 30 this year.

I predict Wawrinka will fall.

vmosrafa08
01-07-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't know... we can't predict who will fail in 2009. It all depends on the player. Some players are prone to drop in the ranking system.

Alexio92
01-07-2009, 03:20 PM

Yes, results such as the masters cup final at the end of last season really indicate davydenko is going to go down rapid in ranking.

akv89
01-07-2009, 05:18 PM
The people who're going to drop the most are those who get injured and are forced to miss tournaments as a result, as evidenced by the four players mentioned from last year in the original post. Looking at how Davydenko is withdrawing from the AO, he might drop quite a bit depending on how his injury is resolved.

Nadal_Freak
01-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Yes, results such as the masters cup final at the end of last season really indicate davydenko is going to go down rapid in ranking.
Davydenko will drop out of top 10 this year. Yes I know it's going out on the limb but I can sense it.

Michael Bluth
01-07-2009, 05:42 PM

With Davydenko it depends on how badly he's injured. He didn't have that many points to defend at the AO.

LeftyServe
01-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Who do you think will be the players who suffer from a dramatic fall in rankings this year? Last year some prominent examples were:

Every one of those guys suffered significant lost playing time because of injuries. So maybe the question is: which players are most likely to dramatically fall in ranking as a result of injury? Davydenko's a good bet. Tsonga, maybe?

tacou
01-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Roddick will stay in his consistent lose to the top players and hang barely in the top 10. Not a huge dropoff.

lose to top players? hmm... I remember him quite clearly spanking one Rafael Nadal in Dubai. I think Roddick will go top 5 this year, possibly better.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
01-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Davydenko will drop out of top 10 this year. Yes I know it's going out on the limb but I can sense it.

You or any other person will MAYBE look like a genius, being that he just withdrew from the Australian Open with a heel injury. Please stay out on that limb....

Big-Serve
01-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Maybe Ferrer, but big run this year for Stakhovsky. This guy is playing very aggressive!

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
01-08-2009, 02:01 PM

i agree with the chela one!!!

Beasty54
01-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I think djoker drops. He seems to me streaky at the moment. I think blake will stay about the same and Roddick will move up a couple of spots. Nothing to defend at slams. I think Ferrer drops, especially with his form at the moment. and I think Lopez moves up :)

miniRafa386
01-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Definitely Davydenko now in light of his recent injury. I don't think it'll be a huge drop in rankings for him but anytime someone who is in the top 10 so consistently drops out of the top 10 (which I speculate), it's usually a big fall for their career.

I think Roddick is in a position where he can either climb back up or he will fall spectacularly. I'm guessing the latter.

Blake is definitely done this year IMO as far as being in Top 10 is concerned.

i second this post.

Lendl and Federer Fan
01-08-2009, 10:05 PM
You read it here first, it is going to be either Nadal or Djokovic. :twisted:

bjk
01-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Moya is finished. If you saw him at Madrid, losing to Kohlschreiber, he looked disinterested and tired. At 32 and ranked 42, he's on the brink. He lost in the first round at Chennai after reaching the semi's against Nadal last year, so he's already lost plenty of points.

People are underrating Karlovic. SandVers develop later, he's only getting better.

I agree, Blake has to play smarter or he's in the thirties.

Dream_On
08-16-2009, 11:36 AM
You read it here first, it is going to be either Nadal or Djokovic. :twisted:

:D

:)

deltox
08-16-2009, 11:39 AM
my forecast on this topic

Tsonga - out of the top 20
Nalby - down 30+ spots
Nadal - outside the top 5
Soderling - outside the top 20
Monfils - outside the top 30

veroniquem
08-16-2009, 11:41 AM
my forecast on this topic

Tsonga - out of the top 20
Nalby - down 30+ spots
Nadal - outside the top 5
Soderling - outside the top 20
Monfils - outside the top 30

Nadal outside top 5 could not possibly happen this year after he won 1 slam and several masters. (And don't forget he didn't play master cup last year, he can only win points there.)

deltox
08-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Nadal outside top 5 could not possibly happen this year after he won 1 slam and several masters. (And don't forget he didn't play master cup last year, he can only win points there.)

im only saying this because hes recovering from injury, i, by no means, see him staying outside the top 5, but i cant see him holding in there and being actually 100% til AO next year where i predict him being runner up to murray and starting the climb for dominance again.

Roddick and Del Po, if continued will earn enough to make it close if not pass. they both could easily have over 7k points after the uso, and roddick, like rafa, has 0 points to defend in the masters. maybe it will be djokovic who falls outside the top 5 but roddick and del po if things continue will both be inside the top 5 forcing out someone.

veroniquem
08-16-2009, 11:50 AM
im only saying this because hes recovering from injury, i, by no means, see him staying outside the top 5, but i cant see him holding in there and being actually 100% til AO next year where i predict him being runner up to murray and starting the climb for dominance again.

He doesn't look that bad to me. He may not be good enough yet to recover #1 spot but I can see him recovering #2 by November (especially since Murray has a lot of points to defend in the next months)

deltox
08-16-2009, 11:53 AM
He doesn't look that bad to me. He may not be good enough yet to recover #1 spot but I can see him recovering #2 by November (especially since Murray has a lot of points to defend in the next months)

murray seems to have his form on the summer hard courts as well. only djokovic of the top 6 has been less than awesome this summer HC season. If djokovic doesnt go a little deeper next week and delpo makes another finals run delpo will be knocking on the #4 slots door. if rafa can make deeper runs than djokovic this summer then he will remain in the top 5, somewhere between 3 and 5 in my opinion.

veroniquem
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
murray seems to have his form on the summer hard courts as well. only djokovic of the top 6 has been less than awesome this summer HC season. If djokovic doesnt go a little deeper next week and delpo makes another finals run delpo will be knocking on the #4 slots door. if rafa can make deeper runs than djokovic this summer then he will remain in the top 5, somewhere between 3 and 5 in my opinion.

Delpo is gonna burn out by the time of USO, that's my prediction. Murray has been known to have counterperfs at unexpected moments and Djoko's form is shaky. I can't see Rafa dropping that much.

deltox
08-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Delpo is gonna burn out by the time of USO, that's my prediction. Murray has been known to have counterperfs at unexpected moments and Djoko's form is shaky. I can't see Rafa dropping that much.

maybe your right, but there is going tobe alot of movement in the top 5 throughout the remaining tourneys this year.

veroniquem
08-16-2009, 12:07 PM
maybe your right, but there is going tobe alot of movement in the top 5 throughout the remaining tourneys this year.

I agree with that. Finally a year where things don't seem predetermined months before the end. Should be interesting.

pow
08-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Nadal will fall to the ground after winning his 2nd Wimbledon title!!!

The irony of this post is too much!

Nadalfan89
08-16-2009, 12:50 PM
It's very hard to say this but I foresee some tough times for Nadal coming up. He has a lot of points to defend at USO and AO and I just don't know if he can keep his ranking above 4.

However, he's got FO and Wimbledon to shoot him straight back to number 1 (assuming he's healthy).

sanchino
08-16-2009, 01:04 PM
I think Djokovic will drop to the bottom half of the top 10, and James Blake will continue to sink like a brick to the bottom of the ocean

Nadalfan89
08-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I doubt Roddick will drop unless it's one spot to Del Potro.

If anything, with the way he's playing, he'll take Djoker's spot by year end.

boris becker 1
08-16-2009, 07:28 PM
robredo and ferrer are both done....

blake is even more done...

GameSampras
08-16-2009, 07:41 PM
I expect Fed to take a plunge probably by early next year. Unless there is a new found sense of fire where he feels the necessity to prepare and win every tournament in his path, which i doubt he will. Due to his focus on the slams, I dont see how he will remain Number 1 passed early 2010-mid 2010.

Djoker continues on his path of mediocrity patheticness, he will be out of the top 5-6 before you know.. Maybe clutching on to just stay in the top 10.

If Nadal doesnt get back healthy, He may be finished all together being in the top level of players.

We could see a big shakeup in the top slots by the end of next year actualy

drwood
08-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I expect Fed to take a plunge probably by early next year. Unless there is a new found sense of fire where he feels the necessity to prepare and win every tournament in his path, which i doubt he will. Due to his focus on the slams, I dont see how he will remain Number 1 passed early 2010-mid 2010.

Djoker continues on his path of mediocrity patheticness, he will be out of the top 5-6 before you know.. Maybe clutching on to just stay in the top 10.

If Nadal doesnt get back healthy, He may be finished all together being in the top level of players.

We could see a big shakeup in the top slots by the end of next year actualy

I agree, Fed is on the downside of his career -- he had to have things go right for him to win his last 3 slams (getting extra day of rest c/w Murray prior to US Open final, French draw, and Wimbledon -- similar to Sampras at Wimbledon 2000 and US Open 2002) -- once those points come off, he won't be #1 for long. That being said, he'll still win 3-4 more slams before his career is over.

GameSampras
08-16-2009, 08:18 PM
I agree, Fed is on the downside of his career -- he had to have things go right for him to win his last 3 slams (getting extra day of rest c/w Murray prior to US Open final, French draw, and Wimbledon -- similar to Sampras at Wimbledon 2000 and US Open 2002) -- once those points come off, he won't be #1 for long. That being said, he'll still win 3-4 more slams before his career is over.

Its possible Fed may grab a few more. Buts its also possible he may never win another. At this point, I dont really see the sense of motivation there for Fed ever since he won, hell the French I think. Wimbeldon was nice, but if you notice he didnt fall to the ground like he did the rest of his slam wins..

I think Fed really wanted that French Open and complete the career slam.. The only slam the eluded him. With Nadal out, Fed knew it was now or never.

If Fed doesnt win anymore slams fine, hes made his mark. Hes a GOAT candidate obviously.. has the career slam and the slam record. Good enough. I dunno what there really is left for him to accomplish to where he could actually stay motivated in doing so? He actually has to now create new challenges for himself since there really are none.. He cant prove himself against Nadal at the slams and get revenge since Nadal has been out injured, and who knows if and when he will return to his old form.

Maybe a Davis Cup?

drwood
08-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Its possible Fed may grab a few more. Buts its also possible he may never win another. At this point, I dont really see the sense of motivation there for Fed ever since he won, hell the French I think. Wimbeldon was nice, but if you notice he didnt fall to the ground like he did the rest of his slam wins..

I think Fed really wanted that French Open and complete the career slam.. The only slam the alluded him. With Nadal out, Fed knew it was now or never.

If Fed doesnt win anymore slams fine, hes made his mark. Hes a GOAT candidate obviously.. has the career slam and the slam record. Good enough. I dunno what there really is left for him to accomplish to where he could actually stay motivated in doing so?

Since Wimbledon means the most to him, I think he wants to break Pete's record there. Plus he's too good not to win another slam besides Wimbledon. I don't think he'll win another French.

GameSampras
08-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Since Wimbledon means the most to him, I think he wants to break Pete's record there. Plus he's too good not to win another slam besides Wimbledon. I don't think he'll win another French.

That would require two more wimbeldon wins to overtake Pete there.. And honestly I dont see Fed playing beyond next year.. Call me crazy but I think he will call it quits end of 2010. The chance is there. But two more wimbeldons in two years doesnt seem likely. But who knows

drwood
08-17-2009, 05:27 AM
That would require two more wimbeldon wins to overtake Pete there.. And honestly I dont see Fed playing beyond next year.. Call me crazy but I think he will call it quits end of 2010. The chance is there. But two more wimbeldons in two years doesnt seem likely. But who knows

Doubtful. He still loves the game and loves to practice. His focus has never been solely on Slams, unlike Pete....that's why his motivation won't wane too much. His biggest problem is going to be people like Murray, Delpo, Nadal, and occasionally people like Roddick in slams -- even Pete near the end lost to Todd Martin in a slam.

drwood
08-17-2009, 05:44 AM
i think federer will stay on to play the 2012 olympics, then end his career at the end of that season.

Yeah...I forgot about that, too. He definitely wants to win a gold medal in singles. Plus the Olympics will be on grass.

drwood
08-17-2009, 05:48 AM
really, i thought it would be on hard seeing it's a neutral surface.

Nope...depends on the host country. 1992 = clay, 1996 since has been HC I believe, but 2012 will be on grass.

deltox
08-17-2009, 06:09 AM
2012 is definitely on grass, i remember hearing that but.... was club or courts is it going to be held at?

PimpMyGame
08-17-2009, 06:18 AM
2012 is definitely on grass, i remember hearing that but.... was club or courts is it going to be held at?

It will be held at Wimbledon, I believe.

deltox
08-17-2009, 06:19 AM
It will be held at Wimbledon, I believe.

im wondering how they intend to get the stadium and center court back in shape by then, unless they plan to lay all new sod after wimbledon.

deltox
08-17-2009, 06:20 AM
who will fall further next year, federer or djokovic? by further i mean number of spots fallen.

GameSampras
08-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Doubtful. He still loves the game and loves to practice. His focus has never been solely on Slams, unlike Pete....that's why his motivation won't wane too much. His biggest problem is going to be people like Murray, Delpo, Nadal, and occasionally people like Roddick in slams -- even Pete near the end lost to Todd Martin in a slam.

Have you seen Fed's results at all the non slam events this year? I think its safe to say the "focus" has left Fed regarding non slam events.. THe only tournament he has managed is Madrid, and the other 2 are slams. The rest he was getting taken out before the finals

NamRanger
08-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Have you seen Fed's results at all the non slam events this year? I think its safe to say the "focus" has left Fed regarding non slam events.. THe only tournament he has managed is Madrid, and the other 2 are slams. The rest he was getting taken out before the finals

The only reason why he tried to win Madrid was to show everyone that he wasn't dead yet too.