PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Hollow Core and Luxilon M2 hybrid?

Corsair
01-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

I recently received both the Wilson hollow core string, and the luxilon M2 string samples in the mail. Just for kicks, is there anyway I could string them as a hybrid? If so, how would they play? I would put M2 on the mains, and the hollow core on the crosses.

-Corsair

RestockingTues
01-06-2009, 04:11 PM
I heard M2 was a really soft poly, if it was me I'd play m2 in a full set and sell off the set of Hollow crap

TonyB
01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Other than the fact that they're both free at the moment and are hitting the market soon, I'm not sure why you chose those two particular strings to hybrid. I can't imagine there is enough feedback or reviews of either string to make a judgement whether or not they would make a good hybrid.

But you asked the question whether or not you COULD string them as a hybrid. The answer is "Of course you can."

meowmix
01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
1. the hollow core is not crap. It's just a bit unusual. Try it. I happen to like it.

2. m2 is not all that soft. Reviews (for the most part) have stated that m2 is a typical luxilon poly- moderately stiff-stiff. I'll be stringing up a hybrid of m2 and hollow core in two days, so if you can to wait until then, I'll have a review.

Corsair
01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks everyone!

purple-n-gold
01-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey Meow and C-Air I'm trying out that hybrid to in an old I-prestige mid in the next few days as well. IMO good time of year to "monkey" round with diffrent things.

captinsane903
01-07-2009, 07:02 PM
I've actually been wanting to hybrid hollow core and M2 as well when i received both of them. I'll just wait for your reviews. :)

meowmix
01-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Yup. I'm out of time tonight (2 essays, and some other hw due tomorrow... plus a minor project) so I'm stringing up tomorrow night.

sk8ing
01-07-2009, 07:39 PM
its a very good idea luxilon being soft would get compisated by the stiffer feeling hollow core imho it would make a great hybrid

Corsair
01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Sweet! Didn't expect so many answers! Can't wait for the review!!!

BreakPoint
03-17-2009, 02:16 AM
So did any of you guys end up trying the Hollow Core/ Lux M2 hybrid? If so, how did it work out?

meowmix
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I actually did. I ended up cutting out the hybrid within a hitting session- it just played horribly for me. Keep in mind however that this was my second time playing with polyester- the first had been a M2-syn gut hybrid. IMO, the M2 played a LOT better with the syn gut than with the hollow core. Just no power, and an utterly dead feeling... Keep in mind, I LOVE hollow core in the mains...

BreakPoint
03-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I actually did. I ended up cutting out the hybrid within a hitting session- it just played horribly for me. Keep in mind however that this was my second time playing with polyester- the first had been a M2-syn gut hybrid. IMO, the M2 played a LOT better with the syn gut than with the hollow core. Just no power, and an utterly dead feeling... Keep in mind, I LOVE hollow core in the mains...
Thanks! Did you put the Hollow Core in the mains and the M2 in the crosses? Also, what tensions and which frame?

Il Mostro
03-17-2009, 11:04 PM
The only redeeming qualities of this hybrid is that both strings are freebees. Sweet Jesus!

AR15
03-18-2009, 05:39 AM
I got two sets of each of these strings, so I did a hybrid with some of it.

I put the M2 in the mains, and the Hollowcore in the crosses.

I liked the setup OK, but not near as much as other poly hybrids I have tried. Despite what others have said, I don't get much power from either of these strings by themselves or hybid together. The lack of power was my main complaint.

I usually hybrid my polys with Gosen synthetic gut or Technifibre X1. The M2/Hollowcore felt stiffer to me than my other combos, and actually gave me a little elbow pain (which I haven't had from the other combos).

Spin was par with other poly hybrids.

Durability was interesting. After playing 3 matches with the setup, the M2 showed no sign of wear, but the Hollowcore was about to break in 4 spots. The Hollowcore was splintering - looking like layers were peeling off of it where it was wearing.

meowmix
03-18-2009, 07:41 PM
I strung in a Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP (which I was playing at the time) with M2 mains at 54ish and Hollowcore crosses at 56ish. I had been playing TNT Fatcore 16, before I started trying out new strings, and ultimately new rackets.

corners
03-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Anyone try this with Hollowcore in the mains? Did the hollowcore notch?

Someone wrote in another thread that Hollowcore mains in a full job didn't notch, which would be a great attribute for a main string in a hybrid with poly cross.

jefferson
03-20-2009, 08:38 AM
I liked the feel of the M2, but they broke only the second time out. Seemed very brittle to me. Definitely not worth the money. If I am going to break every 2 times out I'll string syn gut!