PDA

View Full Version : String shredder.

The Dampener
01-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi gang,

I suddenly seem to be two going through the strings (on both my frames) about every four to five weeks.

I play with Yonex Tour Super 850 Pros, strung at 56 pounds, on a 98" 16x18 frame. I'm a 3.5/4.0 player. I play, on average, four times a week. And I rotate two frames.

Is it me? Is it the type of strings I use? Is it the tension? Is it my open-pattern frame? Or is this perfectly normal?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Damp

joshburger
01-06-2009, 03:21 PM
before you started breaking them at this rate what was your normal rate? and four or five weeks sounds pretty normal to me

Okazaki Fragment
01-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi gang,

I suddenly seem to be two going through the strings (on both my frames) about every four to five weeks.

I play with Yonex Tour Super 850 Pros, strung at 56 pounds, on a 98" 16x18 frame. I'm a 3.5/4.0 player. I play, on average, four times a week. And I rotate two frames.

Is it me? Is it the type of strings I use? Is it the tension? Is it my open-pattern frame? Or is this perfectly normal?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Damp

It just means you're hitting the ball harder and with more spin and becoming a better tennis player. At least that's how I rationalize wasting all of this money on strings...

Booyah
01-06-2009, 03:48 PM
yeah with how often you play 4-5 weeks is fine, the way i see it. perfect time to get restringing and lasts enough to be considered "durable"

hoodjem
01-06-2009, 03:54 PM
It just means you're hitting the ball harder and with more spin and becoming a better tennis player. At least that's how I rationalize wasting all of this money on strings...
You're so supportive and encouraging!

Motherwasp
01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Ive used that string in the past and if you hit pretty well, it's gona sheer and shred quite quickly. Maybe hybrid it if you're concerned about the durability. I'd go for a poly in the crosses if you like the feel of the 850.

The Dampener
01-06-2009, 05:24 PM
before you started breaking them at this rate what was your normal rate? and four or five weeks sounds pretty normal to me

I wasn't paying much attention back then, but it seemed like I'd visit the stringer about every 10-12 weeks or so.

That's what my stringer said. But he likes seeing me that often$$$.

Ive used that string in the past and if you hit pretty well, it's gona sheer and shred quite quickly. Maybe hybrid it if you're concerned about the durability. I'd go for a poly in the crosses if you like the feel of the 850.

Really? You're comparing a poly to a multi? Wow. Funny thing is, I don't really consider myself a big hitter. But I do like to throw spin on the ball, particularly on my serves.

Thanks for all the thoughts. Maybe my breakage rate isn't that high after all.

mistapooh
01-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Four to Five weeks is very nice considering how often you play.

sk8ing
01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
wow lucky i broke in 40 mins
i envi you.... ;)

tennisfreak15347
01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
two frames for 5 weeks, 4 times a week, 2 hours a session, assuming you're breaking strings on both frames within these 5 weeks, would even out to be around 20 hours each racquet. that's fairly good. Any longer, and you might end up cutting it out anyways due to tension loss. If you want more durability, I'd consider string savers or a very soft co-poly for a cross.

Motherwasp
01-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Really? You're comparing a poly to a multi? Wow. Funny thing is, I don't really consider myself a big hitter. But I do like to throw spin on the ball, particularly on my serves.

Hehe, i wasn't comparing them, they're like chalk and cheese. My point was you could use a hybrid for increased durability and if you like the soft feel of 850 you would be better to use it as a main string with a soft poly in the crosses like tennisfreak mentioned, rather than poly in the mains and 850 in the crosses. Having 850 as the main string means you still have some of its feel wheras a lot of it could be lost as a cross string.

If you look at the large number of pro's who use the Alu power/VS Gut combo I would say the vast majority use gut as the main string as they like the feel but want the poly as a cross string for increased control.

The Dampener
01-07-2009, 08:57 AM
two frames for 5 weeks, 4 times a week, 2 hours a session, assuming you're breaking strings on both frames within these 5 weeks, would even out to be around 20 hours each racquet. that's fairly good. Any longer, and you might end up cutting it out anyways due to tension loss. If you want more durability, I'd consider string savers or a very soft co-poly for a cross.

String savers? My guy suggested that. Seems like they'd require more labor & more expense. True? And do they have any impact on performance/feel?

The Dampener
01-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Hehe, i wasn't comparing them, they're like chalk and cheese. My point was you could use a hybrid for increased durability and if you like the soft feel of 850 you would be better to use it as a main string with a soft poly in the crosses like tennisfreak mentioned, rather than poly in the mains and 850 in the crosses. Having 850 as the main string means you still have some of its feel wheras a lot of it could be lost as a cross string.

If you look at the large number of pro's who use the Alu power/VS Gut combo I would say the vast majority use gut as the main string as they like the feel but want the poly as a cross string for increased control.

Do you (or any of you out there who use multis for feel) use a poly/multi hybrid and still like the feel? Don't the polys chew right through the multis?

hoodjem
01-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I have three frames which I "sort of" cycle through. But I can usually get 8 weeks out of a hybrid string job. Not too shabby!