PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Prince EXO

The_Question
01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I'm just thinking ahead, as I plan to get the Graphite sometimes in the near future.

On Prince's website, they recommend to use the brake while stringing or the string hole grommet will be tear through. Not everybody have the brake system on their stringing machines.

How to go about this? Will the old Tour boomerang tool work on this??

themitchmann
01-06-2009, 05:34 PM
They just don't want you to tear the grommet, so it's not a bid deal if you use the port inserts. If you use the hole inserts, just make sure that when you are pulling, to try to keep the string close to the frame. When stringing my SP Tours with hole inserts, I never had this problem. Since they raised the ported area for the new sticks, this may be a little more of an issue. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'll ask some of the guys I know who have strung them already.

The_Question
01-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I suppose stringing it 2-piece is the only way to avoid it...?

psp2
01-06-2009, 05:53 PM
I suppose stringing it 2-piece is the only way to avoid it...?

Stringing 2 piece method will not help you avoid the twist. You could use a boomerang or a sharpie pen stuck in the hole.

The_Question
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Stringing 2 piece method will not help you avoid the twist. You could use a boomerang or a sharpie pen stuck in the hole.

Hum...I doubt a Shpaie Pen can insert into the port hole, if that's what you're saying...

jim e
01-06-2009, 06:01 PM

On the O3 racquets you can use a sharpie between the cross strings to keep the string alignment, not putting it in the hole, as it will not fit. The sharpie is used similar to the block that a member of the gss devised to keep the strings aligned and not use a break . ? about the new EXO frames, best to use a break if you have one, if not thats the breaks until more info avail.

The_Question
01-06-2009, 06:04 PM
In the example of SP Tour, when using the pin hole insert grommet, the Sharpie concept is out the door. Since the Sharpie pen cap is inside the frame between 2 strings, while you're pulling the string from the outside; therefore, the pin hole grommet will still be tear through...

I'm guessing that's the same for the EXO?

jim e
01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
In the example of SP Tour, when using the pin hole insert grommet, the Sharpie concept is out the door. Since the Sharpie pen cap is inside the frame between 2 strings, while you're pulling the string from the outside; therefore, the pin hole grommet will still be tear through...

I'm guessing that's the same for the EXO?

That sounds correct to me, it probably is similar, as the grommet system needs to be protected from the angled pulls so no tears.Seems the manuf. wants stringers to use a machine only with a break.

themitchmann
01-06-2009, 06:27 PM
That sounds correct to me, it probably is similar, as the grommet system needs to be protected from the angled pulls so no tears.Seems the manuf. wants stringers to use a machine only with a break.

That's what they prefer (according to the stringing instructions on the Prince site). You could string with the 50-50 method to avoid the angled pull. Like I said before, if the EXO3's are similar to the SP Tour/Black, it shouldn't be a problem...just something to be aware of.

iplaybetter
01-06-2009, 08:32 PM
i have strung the reble(which is stock wiht hole inserts) about 20 times already and i use the break on my machine but its a prince 3000 and has an auto break, it appears that prince has beefed up the grommets a big however i would still be careful and take some precaution that said you can more than probably get away with just stringing it

Lindsay
01-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I've strung all the new EXOs and just like any other O3 racquet, I hold the frame in the proper position with my hip. My Star 5 has a lockout option, but I guess the brake isn't great because it usually loosens as the string pulls. Hip method works perfectly.

psp2
01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I've strung all the new EXOs and just like any other O3 racquet, I hold the frame in the proper position with my hip. My Star 5 has a lockout option, but I guess the brake isn't great because it usually loosens as the string pulls. Hip method works perfectly.

Same here... I have never had to use the brake on a Star5 while stringing an O3 frame. Just use your hips!!

mikeler
01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Same thing on my Gamma X-ST. I cannot lock the brake tight enough to keep the racket moving. So I either use my hip or to keep the tensioner in place or shoulder to hold the racket handle. I'm so used to it now, I don't even think about it anymore.