PDA

View Full Version : Fed doesnt have to worry about a thing other than maybe Murray at AO

GameSampras
01-06-2009, 05:45 PM
With Djoker's pathetic 1st round loss today at Qatar which could have put the pressure on Roger and drop him to number 3 and getting some confidence going into the AO, Fed should have a breeze going to the finals of the Australian. Doubtful nadal will pose much problems on HC and even so Fed wouldnt have to play him until the finals now that his #2 ranking is safe and if Nadal can even manage a finals appearance. Murray may be the only player that stands in Fed's way and we have seen Murray and how he handles Roger come a big match situation. Epic FAIL

Nadal_Freak
01-06-2009, 06:02 PM
They will all give Fed problems. I think Murray and Nadal have the best shots with their game styles being based more on consistency.

tata
01-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Djoker might pick things up since he has time to pick up is socks.Nadal is a bit of a problem though even tho he has never made it to a final in a major.I still think that topspin forehand to the backhand of federer is still be annoying for him.And with heatwaves in australia i think nadal is more fit to run around in 5 setters.But yea i honestly think nadal and federer should worry about murray more.

Tennis_Monk
01-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Actually Federer has plenty of things to worry about than just Murray. He has to win 7 matches to win this Major and that means 7 opponents. Last year regardless of reasons, federer lost to opponents he normally doesnt lose to (Simon, Fish, etc).

The 13 time grandslam champion, though a strong favorite is by no means a lock to win it regardless of Murray.

Btw I dont believe all the Hype about Murray. While Murray made impressive slides towards Grandslam glory, exhibition match play and grandslam match play are two different things. More importantly i wouldnt read too much in the very first tournament of the season.

GameSampras
01-06-2009, 06:13 PM
But will nadal be physically ready for the grueling five setters on the AO HCs? That poses a big question as well. Personally I dont think he will be. He Didnt play the the YEC. I dont like Nadal's chances of making a big run at the AO. Not with the HCs and the shape his knees may be in. Who knows though.

Fed is playing good enough tennis to make an AO final to be honest. Who poses a legit problem for him before the Finals since hes #2 seed other than Murray? The way Djoker is playing, Fed will whipe him off the court. Only reason djoker won the YEC was because Nadal wasnt there. Fed was gone and Murray was taken out by Davy after taking out Fed. Djoker got a gift at the YEC. It couldnt have been any easier for him.

Unless... Maybe Tsonga is around

veroniquem
01-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Actually Federer has plenty of things to worry about than just Murray. He has to win 7 matches to win this Major and that means 7 opponents. Last year regardless of reasons, federer lost to opponents he normally doesnt lose to (Simon, Fish, etc).

The 13 time grandslam champion, though a strong favorite is by no means a lock to win it regardless of Murray.

Btw I dont believe all the Hype about Murray. While Murray made impressive slides towards Grandslam glory, exhibition match play and grandslam match play are two different things. More importantly i wouldnt read too much in the very first tournament of the season.
Actually in slams, Federer has only lost to 2 players last year (Djoko and Nadal) but Murray is improving fast and it seems that Federer will have to worry about more than 2 in the AO...

egn
01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Let us see the draw, if he runs into Giles Simon he is screwed in my opinion. Giles Simon seems to be Federer's new demon. He shows up Federer is done..however again Giles Simon never makes it deep in slams, so since they wont meet until the quarterfinals I don't think Fed has much to worry about there. We will see how the draw goes though...I think Fed can get to the QF easily but there I think things can start to become a struggle.

If he hits Simon or Tsogna in the QF he is in for a bit of trouble.

ThugNasty
01-06-2009, 06:30 PM
With Djoker's pathetic 1st round loss today at Qatar which could have put the pressure on Roger and drop him to number 3 and getting some confidence going into the AO, Fed should have a breeze going to the finals of the Australian. Doubtful nadal will pose much problems on HC and even so Fed wouldnt have to play him until the finals now that his #2 ranking is safe and if Nadal can even manage a finals appearance. Murray may be the only player that stands in Fed's way and we have seen Murray and how he handles Roger come a big match situation. Epic FAIL

Relax man! it was only the guys first match of the season. He looked very rusty. I am sure he will come around and have a decent AO run

veroniquem
01-06-2009, 06:31 PM
But will nadal be physically ready for the grueling five setters on the AO HCs? That poses a big question as well. Personally I dont think he will be. He Didnt play the the YEC. I dont like Nadal's chances of making a big run at the AO. Not with the HCs and the shape his knees may be in. Who knows though.

Fed is playing good enough tennis to make an AO final to be honest. Who poses a legit problem for him before the Finals since hes #2 seed other than Murray? The way Djoker is playing, Fed will whipe him off the court. Only reason djoker won the YEC was because Nadal wasnt there. Fed was gone and Murray was taken out by Davy after taking out Fed. Djoker got a gift at the YEC. It couldnt have been any easier for him.

1- you dangerously underestimate Djoko. It's not because he messed up in Brisbane that Djoko won't be a threat at AO
2- Nadal seems fitter than ever, did you see him play today and last week? Asking if Nadal can handle 5 setters is like asking if dolphins can swim. Nadal has actually won some of the longest and most gruelling matches in the history of tennis. So your question mark about his physical endurance is rather bizarre. It's the beginning of the year and he has had a comfortable break in December, he's obviously as fresh as can be.

veroniquem
01-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Let us see the draw, if he runs into Giles Simon he is screwed in my opinion. Giles Simon seems to be Federer's new demon. He shows up Federer is done..however again Giles Simon never makes it deep in slams, so since they wont meet until the quarterfinals I don't think Fed has much to worry about there. We will see how the draw goes though...I think Fed can get to the QF easily but there I think things can start to become a struggle.

Tsonga is a good matchup for Federer, I don't think Federer would have a hard time against him at all.

Tennis_Monk
01-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Relax man! it was only the guys first match of the season. He looked very rusty. I am sure he will come around and have a decent AO run

You are right. Last year Nadal lost in Chennai final (to Youzhny?). If we go by the measure of this Thread, Nadal shouldnt have the season he had. On the same token Youzhny should have swept most of the ATP titles.

GameSampras
01-06-2009, 06:42 PM

You know us Sampras Fans are high strung as it is:)

jrod
01-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Look, it all depends on which Roger shows up. Clearly, if the Rogers Cup Roger shows up, then there are half a dozen or so players that are capable of taking him out including Gulbis, Tsonga, Simon, Murray, Djoko, Nalbandian and Rafa.

On the other hand, if Mr. Roger(s) decides Melbourne is HIS neighborhood, he'll make a statement to set the table for '09 (Pete-Don't forget to bring the wine!). As Gil Reyes says, "let's see, let's see what you can do, let's see if I can stop saying 'let's see'..."

quest01
01-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I think there are a few players who could give Federer a tussle down under. Some names that come to mind are Murray, Simon, (who he has lost to a few times last year) Djokovic, and of course Nadal. I'm not going to say Feds the favorite anymore like I used to in past grand slams, I'm going to say its a tossup between Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, or Murray. One of those guys will be hoisting the trophy.

veroniquem
01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Look, it all depends on which Roger shows up. Clearly, if the Rogers Cup Roger shows up, then there are half a dozen or so players that are capable of taking him out including Gulbis, Tsonga, Simon, Murray, Djoko, Nalbandian and Rafa.

On the other hand, if Mr. Roger(s) decides Melbourne is HIS neighborhood, he'll make a statement to set the table for '09 (Pete-Don't forget to bring the wine!). As Gil Reyes says, "let's see, let's see what you can do, let's see if I can stop saying 'let's see'..."
Even if the current best Federer shows up he will still have to worry about guys like Murray and Nadal.

GameSampras
01-06-2009, 06:57 PM
GS Roger will show up. The Roger that can kick it into that extra gear. The Fed of the smaller tournaments of course won't show up. Fed is at that stage in his career where things will be put into perspective.. Especially since Fed is making history with 2 more slams. Fed has that ability to kick into that extra gear like he did at the US OPEN.

Chauvalito
01-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I think some of us are making a big deal out of something that may not be as significant as we think.

It is very easy to over analyze Djokovic's loss...when in the grand scheme of things it may not matter too much.

It's a small tournament, the only thing he really lost was a chance to take over the number 2 spot from Federer, but he has an entire season to do that, so i doubt he is worried about this match.

However, if Djokovic shows up at the AO looking just as apathetic, tired and playing just as sluggishly then there will be cause for concern...as we will all see that his form in Brisbane was indicative of his form in Melbourne.

I doubt that will happen, the joker is going to be as ready as possible to defend his title.

In other words Brisbane was an expendable tournament.

veroniquem
01-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I think there are a few players who could give Federer a tussle down under. Some names that come to mind are Murray, Simon, (who he has lost to a few times last year) Djokovic, and of course Nadal. I'm not going to say Feds the favorite anymore like I used to in past grand slams, I'm going to say its a tossup between Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, or Murray. One of those guys will be hoisting the trophy.
I agree completely with this prediction.

Chauvalito
01-06-2009, 07:05 PM

Unless... Maybe Tsonga is around1- you dangerously underestimate Djoko. It's not because he messed up in Brisbane that Djoko won't be a threat at AO
2- Nadal seems fitter than ever, did you see him play today and last week? Asking if Nadal can handle 5 setters is like asking if dolphins can swim. Nadal has actually won some of the longest and most gruelling matches in the history of tennis. So your question mark about his physical endurance is rather bizarre. It's the beginning of the year and he has had a comfortable break in December, he's obviously as fresh as can be.

Good rebuttal Veron.

Furthermore, I would like to add that it is the beginning of the season. Nadal will likely be in great shape, and having rested somewhat during the off season his knees will be fine.

Why?

Because it is the start of the season. Nadal typically has trouble at the end of the season with hi body breaking down. it has not been an issue for the most part at outset of the tennis season.

Gamesampras may be confusing early season Nadal with late season Nadal. Two completely different players, as evidenced by the last two seasons in which Nadal has done well in the early part of the year(and middle), while fading at the end of the year.

Lastly, Nadal made it to the semi's last year...and then lost to a player who had the match of his life. Tiredness contributed marginally to his loss to Tsonga.

ThugNasty
01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
You know us Sampras Fans are high strung as it is:)
I know what you mean. Hey gamesampras, listen I would like to apologize for those offensive posts I wrote earlier towards you. I take it back. :)

GameSampras
01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I know what you mean. Hey gamesampras, listen I would like to apologize for those offensive posts I wrote earlier towards you. I take it back. :)

Its alright... The board would be a boring place if everyone were to agree on everything and there was no hostility.. No prob;)
I guess I just have that affect on people. I get under certain people's skin and all. LOL. What can u do.. Some of the things I say, I prolly have it coming to me.

ThugNasty
01-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Its alright... The board would be a boring place if everyone were to agree on everything and there was no hostility.. No prob;)
I guess I just have that affect on people. I get under certain people's skin and all. LOL. What can u do.. Some of the things I say, I prolly have it coming to me.

Thanks for accepting my apology! You are one cool guy 8-)

RoddickAce
01-06-2009, 08:25 PM

I don't think Simon is Federer's mortal enemy...andy murray and Nadal are. To me simon is kind of like a Canas, posting wins over fed mostly by running to every shot and returning every one possible. Murray and Nadal kind of use a similar game plan, but they have more firepower and can take control of the rallies more, while forcing the errors as well.

lambielspins
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Simon will not beat Federer in a best 3-of-5 grand slam match. Sorry it just isnt happening. Miles of difference from a best 2-of-3 set Masters early round or round robin matchup.

As for Tsonga if he brings his A-game he has about a 40% chance to beat Federer, and since there is only 20% chance he brings that than that roughly gives him an 8% shot.

crazylevity
01-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Gilles Simon got beat quite handily by Simone Bolelli in the Hopman Cup and got pushed by Yen-Hsun Lu. I wouldn't say he's in a rich vein of form at the moment, to be honest, he looks very lethargic on the court.

Tsonga was playing fairly well towards the end of last season, but Federer didn't have any problems with him in Madrid. But he still can cause a few problems if he's in the zone. We shall see.

seffina
01-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Is Simon injured in some way?

I think Fed has to worry about any of the other top three or any player that gets hot like Tsonga did last year.

NamRanger
01-07-2009, 04:34 PM
1- you dangerously underestimate Djoko. It's not because he messed up in Brisbane that Djoko won't be a threat at AO

The problem is whether or not he can recover from long 5 sets on HCs. So far, he has shown that he cannot. At the USO 2007, he got physically beat down by Ferrer, with signs of his knees and shoulder giving out. At the Australian Open 2007, after he beat Murray in a long match, he tamely went out to Murray.

If he gets involved in a long 5 set match in the Australian heat, I don't fancy his chances of winning.

The-Champ
01-07-2009, 04:39 PM

Way to downplay someone's victory! What makes you think Federer and Nadal would've beaten him?

GameSampras
01-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Way to downplay someone's victory! What makes you think Federer and Nadal would've beaten him?

You cant deny Djoker had it easy. I mean the top 1 and 2 and number 4 werent even there.

The-Champ
01-07-2009, 05:22 PM
You cant deny Djoker had it easy. I mean the top 1 and 2 and number 4 werent even there.

it's not djoker's fault that they didn't make it! Like it's not Sampras' fault Stich and Krajicek could only manage one wimbledon final each

Shaolin
01-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Murray, Djokovic and Simon are all a threat to Fed at the AO. Tsonga isnt really a problem and Gulbis has to get his act together a little more.

Im still pretty confident Fed will tie Sampras in a few weeks.

veroniquem
01-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Fed has to worry about his own game, for example getting the UE under control....

bladepdb
01-07-2009, 05:32 PM
You are right. Last year Nadal lost in Chennai final (to Youzhny?). If we go by the measure of this Thread, Nadal shouldnt have the season he had. On the same token Youzhny should have swept most of the ATP titles.

Big, big underestimate there. He played like a 4-hour 3-set match against Moya in a very hot & humid location. I'm personally from India and even in January, Chennai is very hot (south of equator).

Moreover, he played late against Moya and had only one night to recover. In the slams, that additional day to recover can do marvels for a player as fit as Nadal....

Very bad example bro.

----------

What is this **** about Nadal not being a threat on HCs? Didn't he prove otherwise last year with his terrific performance during both the early and later HC seasons? It's not always about the tournament wins you rack up, it's also how far the player goes up the brackets...semis or better qualifies that person as a threat, especially if that person hits semis/better consistently like Nadal did.

Not to mention AO's rebound ace surface (considered more a medium-fast pace than a straight up fast pace like USO/Cincy) is actually more suited to Nadal's playing style than a typical North American hard court or an indoor court. I just don't get why people always assume just because it is a hard court it is the same type as, say, USO or Cincy (which are two extremely fast courts).

Zaragoza
01-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Well he had to worry about Tipsarevic and Andreev in the last 2 hardcourt Slams. Itīs not 2007 anymore.

Tennis_Monk
01-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Big, big underestimate there. He played like a 4-hour 3-set match against Moya in a very hot & humid location. I'm personally from India and even in January, Chennai is very hot (south of equator).

Moreover, he played late against Moya and had only one night to recover. In the slams, that additional day to recover can do marvels for a player as fit as Nadal....

Very bad example bro.

----------

What is this **** about Nadal not being a threat on HCs? Didn't he prove otherwise last year with his terrific performance during both the early and later HC seasons? It's not always about the tournament wins you rack up, it's also how far the player goes up the brackets...semis or better qualifies that person as a threat, especially if that person hits semis/better consistently like Nadal did.

Not to mention AO's rebound ace surface (considered more a medium-fast pace than a straight up fast pace like USO/Cincy) is actually more suited to Nadal's playing style than a typical North American hard court or an indoor court. I just don't get why people always assume just because it is a hard court it is the same type as, say, USO or Cincy (which are two extremely fast courts).

I know a lot more about India and even more about Madras and tiny bit more about NungamBakkum (where the stadium is located). I tour that part of the world very frequently.

I am just illustrating in the example that you cant go by the results of the years very first few tournaments. Success/failure in those tournaments isnt neccessarily an indication of the trend for the year. I am not sure what you understood. My example is as good as any.

joshburger
01-07-2009, 08:11 PM
he has to worry about nadal and djokavic, and tsonga who is looking good going intoi australia and many other young guys who are ready for a fresh start in 2009

Gugafan
01-07-2009, 08:23 PM
No mention of former champion and finalist Safin. Its his most successfull slam, and he does have a tendancy to bring his best game to Australia.

Safin disposed of Djokovic at Wimbledon last yr in his suprise run to the semis...Potentially he could still pose a threat to the top guys.

anointedone
01-07-2009, 08:26 PM
No mention of former champion and finalist Safin. Its his most successfull slam, and he does have a tendancy to bring his best game to Australia.

Safin disposed of Djokovic at Wimbledon last yr in his suprise run to the semis...Potentially he could still pose a threat to the top guys.

Probably because Wimbledon last year was his only decent performance in the last almost 4 years now. It is also more likely to get hot and make a big run at Wimbledon than a hard court event as there are hardly any guys today who can really play on grass these days anyway. There is a chasm between Federer and Nadal and everyone else on grass, whereas on hard courts there is much more depth of really strong mens players than any other surface, with clay also having more than grass.

marc45
01-07-2009, 08:34 PM

Very bad example bro.

----------

Not to mention AO's rebound ace surface (considered more a medium-fast pace than a straight up fast pace like USO/Cincy) is actually more suited to Nadal's playing style than a typical North American hard court or an indoor court. I just don't get why people always assume just because it is a hard court it is the same type as, say, USO or Cincy (which are two extremely fast courts).it's not rebound ace anymore, it wasn't last year, won't be this year or thereafter

abmk
01-07-2009, 08:38 PM
definitely not ! There are others whom he has to worry about too. Murray seems the biggest threat as of now though.

oneleggedcardinal
01-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Safin! Safin!

the Artist
01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Safin is so hot right now

bladepdb
01-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah after that fight I'm sure he's fired up.

Morrissey
01-08-2009, 06:17 PM
I think the OP has replaced ninman as the new dumbest poster in the TW forum. Thatīs something I never thought I would see in my life.

zoobears
01-09-2009, 09:32 AM
lol, burned.

It wasn't a case that Fed lost his mental edge. Putting this into perspective there is no point burning yourself up over what is essentially a warm up. I guarantee Murray will be playing a serious Fed if they meet in the semis of a grand slam.

There is a bit of an overreaction to this win. Murray can't stand on the same pedestal as Fed at the moment. Murrays victories over nadal and fed are phallic. Wait until the kid wins a grand slam.

mtommer
01-09-2009, 09:53 AM
There is a bit of an overreaction to this win. Murray can't stand on the same pedestal as Fed at the moment. Murrays victories over nadal and fed are phallic. Wait until the kid wins a grand slam.

Maybe, but it's still an important win for Murray precisely because each win over a big player only increases the confidence of Murray. It may not be much for the record book of tennis but it doesn't mean it isn't much for Murray on a personal level. Increased confidence is only going to fuel Murray in a grand slam.

P_Agony
01-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Even if the current best Federer shows up he will still have to worry about guys like Murray and Nadal.

I just wish the Federer from TMC 2007 appears again. Then he has to worry about nothing. Not Nadal or Murray would be able to touch him in that form. But that is a bit too much to ask. The US Open form should do at least until the semis. There, if he meets Murray, he's done.