PDA

View Full Version : Max Mirnyi: really wish he could turn that corner

Colpo
02-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Love Max's game and his all-business on-court demeanor. His volleying and overhead skills are fun to watch, a guy who really knows how to close in the trenches. That said, I wish that he could just break through and rack a couple tournament wins here and there, rather than making semis and finals, if that. Memphis was a match on paper he should've won. Big serve, arguably among the game's biggest, plus he uses the serve well to give himself volleying position. His return faltered in some huge moments, that little chip. Give credit to Carlsen, who served out of his mind percentage-wise. Tough break for Max.

What does he need to add, other than a massive forehand? I just think that his style of play is not feasible anymore because of the power and speed of the players of today. So much less time to set up and react to the bombs coming back, no?

@wright
02-21-2005, 09:21 AM
I think Max's service return is suspect. Carlsen hit many aces in that match, Max's huge reach should make him hard to ace. I was impressed with his backcourt play, but there is definitely room for improvement. He faltered on some easy volleys at important times, plus he didn't come to net enough. I guess he figured it worked against Haas...The crowd in Memphis was overwhelmingly for Max.

arosen
02-21-2005, 06:10 PM
I totally agree with Wright, Max needs to improve his return game and perhaps his backhand. Sure he can chip'n'charge, but these days guys can flick the stick and pass you anytime. His backhand needs to be a bigger weapon, same with his return game.