PDA

View Full Version : Groundstrokes and Serves

herosol
01-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Hola, I am here to present two videos of my mediocre self.
Some info about myself?

-I would say i probably play a mid 4.0 match with 3.5 strokes (an opinion highly self-imagined). Yes, i am coached.

-Started playing around 2 and a half years ago; during my freshman year in high school.

-I just turned 17 two weeks ago. Chinese-American. 5'11.5".

-I just started lifting weight about 5 months ago, and i have not done any such workouts prior to those months.

-I think of myself not too athletic, just an average guy playing tennis. I consider myself definitely a more intellectual being, because i am intrigued with much of sciences and histories.

Here we go:

Groundstrokes: Please excuse the consistencies of my partners (2) across the net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NVwP2BXbr0

Serves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJrrbbRG3c

(OLD SERVES AND STROKES): A short video compiling of both aspects from about a year or less ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lURAZ2aQtc0

Any help is greatly appreciated guys.
Have a nice day!

jasoncho92
01-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Cant say anything about NTRP rating since i cant see where the balls are going, but it seems like youre around where you say you are although i think you might be higher if youve been playing for 2 1/2 years. For your serve, definitely fix that back leg. As soon as you jump, the back leg shoots up and it could be because of improper weight transfer during the serve although it could just be that youre lifting it. Figure out if thats due to too much weight being on your front foot when youre pushing off, or if you are purposely trying to get that kick back. Im thinking its a 50-50 chance that its your weight that is messing that up. Im too distracted by that leg to comment on anything else so others please chime in

fuzz nation
01-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Good chunk of video to work with...

Your split-step looks pretty good - not as if you're stuck in the mud and waiting to move to the ball. Something happens when you make that half-turn and move to the ball for your forehand, though. You often wait to actually take your racquet back behind you until the ball bounces on the court in front of you. That's okay for this sort of knock-around, but that's leaving you vulnerable to being late with your swing for a quicker incoming ball. I can see a couple of these routine shots jamming you just a tiny bit because you're waiting too long to set up and go after them.

Take a look at the forehand that you hit on the move at 1:50. The racquet goes back behind you, you hold it for a fraction of a second, and then your swing goes out after the ball instead of letting it get in on your hip too much. If you advance your timing a little bit for all of your shots, you can arrive early enough at the hitting area to be ahead of the ball, wait on it for that fraction of a second while you take a couple of stutter-steps, then swing out assertively through the ball.

Keep up the good work.

fuzz nation
01-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Oh yeah, there's the serve video, too!

You can pretty much expect your back leg to unload slightly ahead of your front leg as you go up to hit your serve, since you've got that deliberate forward weight transfer happening. What I spotted on your serve though was a timing issue. Looking at your head and shoulders as you hit the ball, it looks as like you are already descending as you make contact. That's killing most of the energy that you legs contribute to your serve, but you want them to be your main engines for that first ball.

This means changing the tempo in your serve so that you are driving up with your legs on contact instead of pushing upward too soon and falling away as you hit. It will probably require a few sessions with a bucket of balls, but it's certainly doable. The idea I like to use for that is the image of throwing my racquet up through the back of the ball (without letting go of it). My legs need to create that upward surge. Experiment a bit with that and however you adjust the tempo in you motion, keep it smooth for good energy and racquet speed through the ball.

LeeD
01-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Gotta be harsh, I'm 5'11", Asian, and first 2 tournaments after 2.5 years got to final in first and won C sectional in major SFCity.
Serve...wrong grip, you are forehand of continental.
Bad timing, that leg is absorbing power too.
Slow swing, swing faster
Too deliberate a setup...meaning you consciously try to mimick each serve. It should be more automatic for low C or 3.5.
Forehand.... you hit off your back foot on deep slow balls. Those are easy, you should hit off both feet and finish with weight on front foot.
Backhand.... you are undecided whether one hander or two. DECIDE now. Like two hander for anything higher than thigh, one hander for everything lower than knees.
Main problem, you strike the ball with too slow a swing.
Level... 3.5 strokes but worse prep.
Mostly no ready position
Play against tournament 3.5, you'll lose first or second round.
Will not make high school singles with that strokes the way they are.

herosol
01-07-2009, 03:24 PM
hmm thanks guys. Yeah i've had that leg problem for awhile, and it's kind of a habit that's kind hard to really kill, although it's been a practice i've been makin' alot. I definitely want to fix it, cause as much as you want to believe it or not, I can clock 100mph, and it would be FANTASTIC, if such changes could help me hit a bigger serve.

Forehand take-back, I guess it's something my coach has made me use. He believes taking the forehand back later, forces a natural faster racket-head-speed, but whether i am TOO late; well ill go practice. thanks.

And LeeD, ahh that's crazy, you must be really athletic.
Uhm tournament-wise, i haven't had much time these days, with alot of school-work and piano competitions, BUT! I played one satellite after playing for about a year, and lost in the third round. Half a year ago, i played an Open-level and also reached the 3rd-round too without a 'bye' in the first round.

Uhm, wrong serve grip? Eh, i'm pretty sure i'm continental, but you said a "forehand continental" could you explain that?

Yeah, I definitely wasn't swinging very fast. Haha and the deep-slow ones, I guess the defensive mentality is just running rampid even in my rallies. And backhand? I use two-handed. I did hit one one-hander, but I do use my slice alot, because i find it quite effective in match play :p

I play High School singles, but of course i'm not division 1 or 2 high school. But thanks for the advice, harsher criticism is just potential for more improvements! Thanks dood.

Anyone else got any more tips?

LeeD
01-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Understand, I'm not knocking you just for fun, I want you to improve and take your game up another few levels.
That leg thing, don't focus on it. I did it every jump shot in varsity basketball and the coach actually benched me despite averaging 10 and 10's almost every game. It went away junior year by itself.
Not athletic. I took up tennis at 24, after 3 years of varsity basketball, one JV football and two varsity football.
In college, I was #7 Novice all State (California) fencer after ONE semester. It's judged based on 2 semester results.
So by the time I started tennis, I already had a full sports background at a medium level. That's why it was quicker for me to improve than anyone else on this forum.
AND, I hit with some top women just retired pros my second year, who led me onto top tournament women's A players, which eventually led to hitting with D111 college players (mens), by the time I start tournament play.
Living in the big city has it's advantages. SanFrancisco.... all year outdoor play is one too.

herosol
01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Understand, I'm not knocking you just for fun, I want you to improve and take your game up another few levels.
That leg thing, don't focus on it. I did it every jump shot in varsity basketball and the coach actually benched me despite averaging 10 and 10's almost every game. It went away junior year by itself.
Not athletic. I took up tennis at 24, after 3 years of varsity basketball, one JV football and two varsity football.
In college, I was #7 Novice all State (California) fencer after ONE semester. It's judged based on 2 semester results.
So by the time I started tennis, I already had a full sports background at a medium level. That's why it was quicker for me to improve than anyone else on this forum.
AND, I hit with some top women just retired pros my second year, who led me onto top tournament women's A players, which eventually led to hitting with D111 college players (mens), by the time I start tournament play.
Living in the big city has it's advantages. SanFrancisco.... all year outdoor play is one too.

ahhh. Yeah, not much sport background, except some casual basketball.

Yeah i live in Los Angeles, so it's quite tough out here. I always get the same thing from everyone.

"This is the worst place to start tennis this late and play tournaments"
hah.

Ballinbob
01-07-2009, 04:00 PM
I honestly don't mean to be mean or anything, but are you sure you clock 100mph? With a radar and everything?

Anyway, I guess you want some advice:
You mentioned that your not that athletic and have just started lifting weights. I'm a big believer in fitness and I guarantee you it will help your game alot. I run and lift everyday, and it's really nice to see yourself improve physically. You seem to swing pretty slow on your serve and your leg drive just doesn't seem explosive enough. Your groundies are better than mine so I don't think I'm qualified to give advice on that. Biggest piece of advice I can give you right now is to make it a HABIT to start running/lifting. At first you'll think its boring and tough, but you will feel great about yourself. It helps me to do these things at a certain time and I try and make them part of my daily life. School starts at 7 and the bus leaves at 6, so I wake up at 4 and go to the field and run sprints for an hour then come home and shower/dress ect. And if you have a strength/conditioning class at your highschool i would suggest taking it, these are pretty good usually for lifting. You don't have to wake up early or anything, but just and try and it do daily at a certain time.

Hope this helped..

LeeD
01-07-2009, 04:01 PM
OK, what I see wrong with the serve setup is your racket and right arm are too aligned, unlike the much more pronounced angle of most of the professionals.
I say you should take your current grip, turn it over a few degrees towards easternback, and hit 500 balls with MORE pronation. You'll find more consistency and just about the same pace, with some spin.
Still, hitting off the back foot off those slow balls is not a good thing ever. Against a hard hit deep ball, maybe OK, but ideally, you don't move back EVER to hit a groundie, you hold position, shorthop it deep, and work for a short return that you step into and put away.
Always try to dictate play with your first shot. Hit it hard and deep, and you force weaker replies that you should be steeping INTO to drive deep with pace.
And I count more than 5 onehanded backhands. For at least 3 of those, you could easily have hit a two hander.
Save the onehander for a low slice situation, not a high slow moving wide ball. Crush that high slow moving fast ball.
Consider your vid an audition for a top level school or coach. Don't be lazy, hit off your back foot, or swing slowly.
If I entered satelite tour events now, I'd be playing against 6.0 or better players. I'd never go more than ONE round.

LeeD
01-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Wow, BB, you guys kick my butt for desire for sure.
I never went to any court before 10, and that's just for coffee and socializing.
Tennis time was 11 -7 most summers, and as late as daylight allows from Oct thru March.
Weekends, we'd sleep in a bit more, but often played and practiced from 1 to nighttennis under the lights.
I guess that's what it takes nowadaze, just dedication and desire, to overcome scheduling conflicts.
Maybe I just didn't try hard enough.

junbumkim
01-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Forehand-
It semes like you have got western forehand grip, not extreme though. Your contact point seems a little further back for western grip. It should be more out in front.

Also, You are hitting a lot of forehand off your backfoot. It's understandable if you are trying to put more topspin on the ball, but there is too little weight transfer. See your forehand on 0:19, that's how forehand should be hit even with open stance. You transfer your weight from your right leg to your left leg.

I get the feeling you are trying to look too pretty while hitting the stroke.

Backhand-
Didn't really see too many of them.

Serve-
Your GRIP is FINE. You seem to have continental, which is PERFECTLY OK.
In general, it's pretty smooth and pretty consistent.

Your toss is a little too close to your body. You should try to toss a little more out in front (at least a foot ~ 2 feet into the court from the baseline). It should help you to explode into the ball a little more.

Ballinbob
01-07-2009, 04:36 PM
I wake up that early because there's no other time to do it. I'm taking pretty hard classes and I have winter track right now (training program, real track starts in spring). So I have tennis in the fall, and track in winter+spring. That's the whole year.. I have a good 3 hours homework too, which sucks as$ but my parents will kill me if I dont keep my grades up. I'm in strength and conditioning class so that takes care of lifting. If I have extra time in my schedule I'll go see a movie with my friends or I'll play tennis for an hour or two. This kid is in highschool and if he doesn't manage his time good then he needs to start, especially if he wants to improve. I'm not the greatest tennis player here (just your average 3.5), but I really did feel that my athleticism gave me an edge against others. I think it would help this guy alot too.

I would suggest running sprints+long distance because you need both in tennis, and I would work on squats too. Doesn't have to be long, but if you do it everyday you will notice a difference

BetterTen
01-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Ballin- "I wake up that early because there's no other time to do it." Not sure what you mean. Do what?

As for keeping grades up, I remember your previous posts; you sounded like you were into school and a good student. Good grades and good tennis go together. Both lead to a good future.
Good time-management is key.

Good luck, eh!

herosol
01-07-2009, 05:24 PM
HOLLDDDDD UP! Okay time to answer one at time xD

Ballinbob:

Haha yes radar. I have to apologize guys, now that i think of it, i wasn't really giving the serves my full effort And that is a fault on my part, and you definitely have every right to be suspicious of my claims.

Yes I have definitely takin' fitness to heart. I take a weight-training class at my school, I do many nice lifts to get myself in better shape. Beyond just the visible effects, I just feel better on court. I run half-track (200m?) sprints, because I can barely do around 8-10 of those. Forgive my lack of endurance.

But 4'o clock, I get up at 5:30 on a daily basis, because of zero-periods due to AP Classes (3). I would love to be dedicated, but that is quite extreme, and i have a personal grade-point average i choose to maintain. But i will definitely work to put such routines into practice.

LeeD:

Hmm i'm not sure about the grip, but i definitely will give it a try, but i thought pros if anything are closer to the eastern forehand side on serve?

I gotcha, i gotta learn to hold my ground.

I hate to argue, but there was only one one-hander, and 3 slices.
But yes i will try to hit more 2handers off larger angles, and such, but i have to say i haven't really developed my 2hbh into much of a weapon, it's kind of been conditioned to play defensive. damn :[

junbumkin:

Yes I see the shot 0:19, that helps alot to see myself do it correctly. This will make learning to emulate much more helpful. Hehe, pretty, it's just what i do I guess LOLs. I have big interests in fashioning myself up, in more then just clothes i guess :p

Ballinbob
01-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Read my previous post and you'll see what I'm talking about. And a 3.4GPA isn't great lol believe me. I have no idea how people get 4.0s while in all honors classes.

And yeah, time management is important in highschool. Ive seen people who are miserable in school b/c they don't know how to prioritize their stuff. This guy is probably good at school though lol, most asians are haha

edit-this was to betterten

herosol
01-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Read my previous post and you'll see what I'm talking about. And a 3.4GPA isn't great lol believe me. I have no idea how people get 4.0s while in all honors classes.

And yeah, time management is important in highschool. Ive seen people who are miserable in school b/c they don't know how to prioritize their stuff. This guy is probably good at school though lol, most asians are haha

edit-this was to betterten

Hehe. Ashunssssssss!

haha yes I guess i'm one of those people you have "no idea" about, but it's just a matter of habit and competitiveness :p

And BTW: my strokes aren't better then yours! At most the same.

Ballinbob
01-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Ballinbob:

Haha yes radar. I have to apologize guys, now that i think of it, i wasn't really giving the serves my full effort And that is a fault on my part, and you definitely have every right to be suspicious of my claims.

Yes I have definitely takin' fitness to heart. I take a weight-training class at my school, I do many nice lifts to get myself in better shape. Beyond just the visible effects, I just feel better on court. I run half-track (200m?) sprints, because I can barely do around 8-10 of those. Forgive my lack of endurance.

But 4'o clock, I get up at 5:30 on a daily basis, because of zero-periods due to AP Classes (3). I would love to be dedicated, but that is quite extreme, and i have a personal grade-point average i choose to maintain. But i will definitely work to put such routines into practice.

4 is pretty extreme, but like I said I have no other time to do it. And yeah a 200m is half a track. It's fine if you can only do 8-10, the whole point of you running is to build speed and endurance which will later help you in tennis. 3 AP classes is pretty tough I bet, so time management is even more important to you than me. I'll be talking 2 AP classes next year and I think thats going to be tough lol. The weight training at school is great, work hard in that class.

Here are some good workouts for running that I like:
1. Get your ipod, go to somewhere with some nice scenery, and just run. This is a long distance workout that is supposed to be fun, so you shouldn't be running all that fast but just enjoying the music+scenery. The whole point of this is to forget your running and just get lost in your surroundings.

2. Run 4 100m dashes with a 50m break in between each, then run 2 200m with a 100m break in between each. A 50m is half a straight on the track, and when I say 50m break I mean walk 50m then do another 100m. This is a pretty easy workout and will build speed so it should be pretty fast.

3.Go on a grass field (or track if you dont have one), and lie down on the ground with your feet facing away from where you want to run. Then get up as fast as you can off the ground and run as fast as you can to your finish line. This should be only 50m-100m and alot of reps. The whole point of laying down with your feet facing the opposite direction is to make you more explosive. Anyone can do a normal track start, but lying down is much harder and requires alot more explosiveness to still run fast. You can also sit with your legs crossed facing the opposite direction or any other position you can think off. On the court this will help you when you are out of position and you need to make it to the other side of the court in a hurry. Lying down on the ground translates to being out of position on the court if you see what I mean. This can be really fun with your friends too as you can make up some crazy positions.

Those 3 are my favorites. There are alot of others, but they're boring and not much fun. Also, the more you can squat the faster you can run. Just an FYI that maybe you wanted to know lol. I know all this because I'm on the varsity track team for my school and these are exercises we do. I would tell you my 100m time but GTR would yell at me haha

edit-no dude, your strokes are much better than mine. My serve is the best shot I have and its not that impressive haha. I have a shet load of work to do....

herosol
01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
4 is pretty extreme, but like I said I have no other time to do it. And yeah a 200m is half a track. It's fine if you can only do 8-10, the whole point of you running is to build speed and endurance which will later help you in tennis. 3 AP classes is pretty tough I bet, so time management is even more important to you than me. I'll be talking 2 AP classes next year and I think thats going to be tough lol. The weight training at school is great, work hard in that class.

Here are some good workouts for running that I like:
1. Get your ipod, go to somewhere with some nice scenery, and just run. This is a long distance workout that is supposed to be fun, so you shouldn't be running all that fast but just enjoying the music+scenery. The whole point of this is to forget your running and just get lost in your surroundings.

2. Run 4 100m dashes with a 50m break in between each, then run 2 200m with a 100m break in between each. A 50m is half a straight on the track, and when I say 50m break I mean walk 50m then do another 100m. This is a pretty easy workout and will build speed so it should be pretty fast.

3.Go on a grass field (or track if you dont have one), and lie down on the ground with your feet facing away from where you want to run. Then get up as fast as you can off the ground and run as fast as you can to your finish line. This should be only 50m-100m and alot of reps. The whole point of laying down with your feet facing the opposite direction is to make you more explosive. Anyone can do a normal track start, but lying down is much harder and requires alot more explosiveness to still run fast. You can also sit with your legs crossed facing the opposite direction or any other position you can think off. On the court this will help you when you are out of position and you need to make it to the other side of the court in a hurry. Lying down on the ground translates to being out of position on the court if you see what I mean. This can be really fun with your friends too as you can make up some crazy positions.

Those 3 are my favorites. There are alot of others, but they're boring and not much fun. Also, the more you can squat the faster you can run. Just an FYI that maybe you wanted to know lol. I know all this because I'm on the varsity track team for my school and these are exercises we do. I would tell you my 100m time but GTR would yell at me haha

ahh okay! Number 3, my weight training teacher actually taught me that little reoutine not too long ago. I love it.

Yeup, i work alot on my squats, especially with the explosion during that workout as well.

Ballinbob
01-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Haha thats great then, keep at it. I remember when my friend first had strength class and hes skinny as a stick, hes like "squats? is this a joke of an exercise"? I tried not to laugh and I'm like "yeah dude its easy, here i'll start you off with 315 lbs shouldn't be a problem". We helped him get the bar of the rack and then you just hear this "BOOM" and hes down on the ground cussing us out lmao. We have a safety rack that caught the bar so he wasn't hurt that bad (well he was kinda). Our strength teacher comes and asks what happened and he tells him what we did. My teacher was like "well I would send you to the office, but you actually let them put 315 on lol?? My friend sucked it up though and he learned his lesson...dont start with 315 when you weigh 110 lbs haha. Now that I think about that was pretty mean, but the next day at bench when I asked him if he wanted to start with 315 lbs he gave me this dirty look and told me he would just stick with 45lbs ha.

And that right there is my pointless post of the day:)Just for kicks, otherwise you can just ignore it lol

unprotennis
01-08-2009, 03:09 PM
you might wanna try getting a bigger knee bend on the serve. yours seems quite diminutive.

your groundies look pretty good. for your forehand i think you need to "sit down" more (knee bending again?) and extend out that left arm on the majority of your stroke. work your half volley, as fuzz said you got jammed on a couple shots.

i think youre kind of slow moving around the court. ballinbob is your man for speed yo listen to the guy. on the other hand, i can actually see the split step! wewt!

dont listen to us. listen to your coach :)

BetterTen
01-08-2009, 07:24 PM
ballin sounds like a serious student. He knows what it takes to excel in school.
by the way, 3.4 gpa is pretty good. Yes 4.0 is better, but around that pa is impressive also.

“This guy is probably good at school though lol, most asians are haha”
What is so funny about being a good student? beats being a loser.

“Most asians are haha”
Does haha mean you are making fun of that? We need to be careful not to make racial generalizations. No race has a monopoly on “smart genes”.

It is almost ALL about hard work –there are no short cuts neither in tennis nor in school. That was my recent experience in college.

Ballinbob
01-08-2009, 07:49 PM
ballin sounds like a serious student. He knows what it takes to excel in school.
by the way, 3.4 gpa is pretty good. Yes 4.0 is better, but around that pa is impressive also.

“This guy is probably good at school though lol, most asians are haha”
What is so funny about being a good student? beats being a loser.

“Most asians are haha”
Does haha mean you are making fun of that? We need to be careful not to make racial generalizations. No race has a monopoly on “smart genes”.

It is almost ALL about hard work –there are no short cuts neither in tennis nor in school. That was my recent experience in college.

I'm asian too, so i wouldnt make fun of him lol. Sorry if it sounded racist. Of course being smart beats being a looser, never said it didn't. Agreed on the hard work part. Some of my friends are naturally talented at school+sports ect, and it took me awhile to realize im not like that and the only way im going to get anywhere is to work hard and push myself. I'm just an ordinary person who worked really hard to get where I am. Work can be fun though, its not all painful and hard like many think. I'm a pretty good singer, and you know how? I sing in the shower everyday:):) I've always wanted to be a good singer, and I decided a fun and easy way is to practice in the shower. That's work and you don't even feel it. Same thing can apply to running if you can find fun ways to practice. Always look for ways to make work fun.

BetterTen
01-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I’m sure you are not racist. It is easy and tempting to make racial generalizations and which emphasis stereotypes. That is not good.
I did not say I was asian!!!! race is not issue for me at all. why should it matter. it is all about being a good person (or not)

We agree about the hard work thing.
My mom has a degree in social work. She encouraged me to make that my major in college. I decided to go with a major that I can (1) easily get a job with, and (2) a major that pays well. I ended up majoring in Chemistry with a minor in environmental science. The combination was interesting though not thrilling! This is about a career and NOT a Wimbledon tournament!!!!. I used to think that schooling has to be super fun. I feel that young people should seriously think about the kind of job they can get with their degree. Majoring in science or engineering can be hard work which is sometimes unpleasant and even stressful. However, Sc and eng pays off. I have an excellent job with a major oil company, and travel to exotic places sometimes. I feel that hard work in school is short term “pain” (sometimes) for long term gain!
All I need now is to excel in tennis!

jasoncho92
01-08-2009, 08:37 PM

If it really is just a harmless thing to the serve, i will take back everything i say, but your approach to a form problem is completely baseless. Subconsciously, you probably fixed that because you knew you werent going to play unless you fixed that. Even if you didnt fix that, thats just an unnatural action to do. This is different for the OPs case because if it is a problem with weight transfer, then it wont be fixed unless he fixes his form first. Even if the OP is just exaggerating his leg lift to get the leg kick back, there isnt even a slither of certainty whether or not it will go away by itself.

It looks aesthetically better if you fix it as well :p

herosol
01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
If it really is just a harmless thing to the serve, i will take back everything i say, but your approach to a form problem is completely baseless. Subconsciously, you probably fixed that because you knew you werent going to play unless you fixed that. Even if you didnt fix that, thats just an unnatural action to do. This is different for the OPs case because if it is a problem with weight transfer, then it wont be fixed unless he fixes his form first. Even if the OP is just exaggerating his leg lift to get the leg kick back, there isnt even a slither of certainty whether or not it will go away by itself.

It looks aesthetically better if you fix it as well :p

haha thanks bro. Yeah i've already tried leaping better in my house, just need to hit the courts.

but yea more help? and less racial issue guys! </3

EDIT:

Haha i got a comment on the actual video on YouTube. Man some people really just are mean though ya know?
I don't mind criticism, but there's a difference between straight up mean and help haha.

I remember getting same kind of attacks on my last video. I don't know if i've been just disrespectful or something to get that.