PDA

View Full Version : Is Nadal going to be Sampras's next victim of current tour player victories?

1Sampras
01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Pete Sampras has wins over Federer, Ginepri, Roddick, Haas, Stepenek, Harbaty, and Blake. Who do you think is next on Pete's hit list of current ATP tour players?

iamke55
01-06-2009, 11:47 PM
He might get a game if he's lucky like Santoro. Then again, Santoro beat Sampras 6-1 6-1 so maybe not even a game.

veroniquem
01-07-2009, 05:12 AM
I don't think Sampras is that eager to embarrass himself...

Nadal_Freak
01-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Nadal would own Sampras. I hope that match happens. :D

rich01
01-07-2009, 05:45 AM
He couldn't win the Albert hall masters against old guys who retired years ago. Those exo's were obviously fixed to an extent no offense to Pete..

zagor
01-07-2009, 05:47 AM
That wouldn't be a smart move from Sampras IMO.Unlike Federer and some other guys,Nadal doesn't really know how to play an exhibition.

GameSampras
01-07-2009, 06:31 AM
A 1 match situation like McEnroe said and Blake said, Pete could defeat anyone on today's tour. Thats a fact. And it wouldnt be an embarrassment. Maybe an embarrassment for Nadal if he and Pete plays on a fast indoor carpet (where Nadal is suspect at best and very subpar) with Pete Acing Nadal off the court. Nadal has never dealt with any player with the fire power and the disguise pete has on his serve. People underestimate Pete big time. Look at his hitlist. Pete is more than capable of defeating any of the guys today in the right conditions of the court.

This talk of Nadal blowing Pete out anywheres in an exhibition is nonsense. Pete can still play and play great in one match situations. A fast surface, Pete keeping the points quick, attacking Nadals BH, keeping his serving up, he has a great chance of taking out Nadal

ksbh
01-07-2009, 06:33 AM
If Nadal takes the match seriously, Sampras will be toast! But it's an exhibition, so Nadal will likely not bother to bring his best game.

By the way, I don't care if this match happens or not. It's just a waste of time, anyway.

GameSampras
01-07-2009, 06:38 AM
I dont think people here have actually seen Pete play recently. Watch his Macau Match against Roger, his match against Roddick in 07. His match against Blake and MCenroe. You think Nadal would have lasted long against Pete playing like he did against Roger on the fast Macau Courts? HELL NO!!.. Thats why if it is the right conditions on a fast court, Pete has a chance of beating Rafa

mrmo1115
01-07-2009, 06:39 AM
If Nadal takes the match seriously, Sampras will be toast! But it's an exhibition, so Nadal will likely not bother to bring his best game.

By the way, I don't care if this match happens or not. It's just a waste of time, anyway.

I agree, he would toast Sampras. He would be much harder to play against than Federer. When Fed plays Samp, he plays more into his game, so its comfortable for Sampras. Nadal with his lefty spin serve abusing Sampras backhand and passing him left and right, and Nadal is super quick. I think Nadal would destroy Sampras.

miyagi
01-07-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm a Nadal fan but I really dont know where all this "Nadal would own Sampras is coming from".....is it just because he beat Santoro??

In a one match situation I would not bet against Sampras beating ANYONE currently on tour.

Some of you are getting WAY to excited.....jeeze!

thejoe
01-07-2009, 07:44 AM
A 1 match situation like McEnroe said and Blake said, Pete could defeat anyone on today's tour. Thats a fact. And it wouldnt be an embarrassment. Maybe an embarrassment for Nadal if he and Pete plays on a fast indoor carpet (where Nadal is suspect at best and very subpar) with Pete Acing Nadal off the court. Nadal has never dealt with any player with the fire power and the disguise pete has on his serve. People underestimate Pete big time. Look at his hitlist. Pete is more than capable of defeating any of the guys today in the right conditions of the court.

This talk of Nadal blowing Pete out anywheres in an exhibition is nonsense. Pete can still play and play great in one match situations. A fast surface, Pete keeping the points quick, attacking Nadals BH, keeping his serving up, he has a great chance of taking out Nadal

I agree. On a quick surface, I would go as far as to say that the odds are in Pete's favour. He would attack the net at every opportunity, and he can still serve anyone off the court. Nadal is not that great a returner (screw the 2008 returning stats, simply looping the ball back is not going to cut it against a serve-volleyer of Sampras' caliber) and Pete's lethal serve-volley would spell trouble for Nadal. The only time he would be destroyed is if he engages in baseline rallies, as Nadal would destroy Pete from the back of the court, even in his prime.

EDIT: On slow and medium paced-surfaces, Nadal would have to give Pete a couple of games, because otherwise, it would be an embarrassment.

BobFL
01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Pete Sampras has wins over Federer, Ginepri, Roddick, Haas, Stepenek, Harbaty, and Blake. Who do you think is next on Pete's hit list of current ATP tour players?

Are you serious? Every player on your list can destroy Sampras IF he plays his top game. They were just showing their respect for Pete...

JankovicFan
01-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Take it to Former Pro Player Talk. You guys never quit, trying to steal bandwidth here.

ksbh
01-07-2009, 08:42 AM
J.Fan ... I take it that you're not a particularly big admirer of the Sampras fans in here? Beware, they can pack a punch! :)

Take it to Former Pro Player Talk. You guys never quit, trying to steal bandwidth here.

CHOcobo
01-07-2009, 08:50 AM
did this match take place?? or is it going to happen???

GameSampras
01-07-2009, 08:54 AM
did this match take place?? or is it going to happen???

Hasnt happened yet.. Though I have heard rumblings about it happening sometime in the fall. It will be interesting to see what type of surface pete and rafa play on.. Maybe it will be a series of exos much like roger-pete in late 07

matchmaker
01-07-2009, 08:59 AM
With all due respect for Pete, but Nadal has simply to much match rhythm to be dominated easily. He also would put Pete's backhand under immense pressure.

Playing on a really fast surface Pete should still be competitive, though.

Azzurri
01-07-2009, 09:30 AM

how about this...if the match happens and Nadal loses, YOU leave the boards forever. Are you that confident?

drakulie
01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
how about this...if the match happens and Nadal loses, YOU leave the boards forever. Are you that confident?

I'd like to amend this. he leaves the boards and the Earth forever. he needs to go back to Mars.

edmondsm
01-07-2009, 10:07 AM
They would never play because Nadal doesn't know how to scale his game back for an exo. Two points into the match he would go into balls-out mode and the match would end about 20 minutes later.

rubberduckies
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Nadal has played several exhibitions. He knows what to do.
This won't be like the time he was 14 and ended up beating Pat Cash.

Federer's cat
01-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I don't think he would embarass himself like that. Nadal is at his best now, experience and youth. He'd beat Sampra 6-0 6-0 on hard court lol.

edmondsm
01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't see why people think a Nadal v. Sampras exo would end 6-0, 6-0 when he played plenty of tight matches with Federer recently.

Chadwixx
01-07-2009, 10:39 AM
In exo's you play to your opponents strengths to give a better show. In a real match you pick on their weakness's and break them down.

Sampras would beat nadal in an exo. But those arent real matches. How many of these exo's would we have had with pete if he lost them all badly in 45mins?

This is professional wrestling, not professional tennis.

NamRanger
01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I'd like to amend this. he leaves the boards and the Earth forever. he needs to go back to Mars.

Mars? What? Are you kidding me? That's way too close. I suggest Jupiter at the very minimum, maybe Alpha Centauri.

Gorecki
01-07-2009, 10:51 AM

you wish... he would come even stronger and say :

.. oh nadal was tired

... it was played in hardcourts....

... sampras is boring and arrogant...

... the ball became was lighter because of sampras massive serve... (based on the N_F Objects changeable mass theory)

NamRanger
01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
you wish... he would come even stronger and say :

.. oh nadal was tired

... it was played in hardcourts....

... sampras is boring and arrogant...

... the ball became was lighter because of sampras massive serve... (based on the N_F Objects changeable mass theory)

They were playing in Antarctica! Oh wait, I mean.... Portugal!? Crap, I forgot my Geography.

Parabolica
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Nadal would win quite easily imo. Probably a 6-2, 6-2 match. If it were a 5 set match, Pete would get destroyed. Fed would do the same to Pete in a real match situation. Exhibition matches are just that.

Gorecki
01-07-2009, 11:05 AM
They were playing in Antarctica! Oh wait, I mean.... Portugal!? Crap, I forgot my Geography.

LMAO...

i see polar bears everyday on my way to the courts! :)

Nadal_Freak
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Nadal would win quite easily imo. Probably a 6-2, 6-2 match. If it were a 5 set match, Pete would get destroyed. Fed would do the same to Pete in a real match situation. Exhibition matches are just that.
Agreed. Sampras is a joke these days. Too bad players feel sympathetic in the exhibitions and let Pete do well. I wish someone would take the exhibition fully serious and destroy him.

timeisonmyside
01-07-2009, 12:37 PM
If by "victim" you mean will he be a victim of the Sampras exhibition jinx, then he could be. Kind of like Federer was a victim last year when he lost to Mardy Fish in IW after playing that MSG exo.

edmondsm
01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Agreed. Sampras is a joke these days. Too bad players feel sympathetic in the exhibitions and let Pete do well. I wish someone would take the exhibition fully serious and destroy him.

Why is Sampras a joke these days? He plays exo's that bring a lot of attention and cash to the sport of tennis. He's entering his late 30's and he still plays a mean game of tennis and pops serves in the 130's. The only joke is you.

miyagi
01-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Why is Sampras a joke these days? He plays exo's that bring a lot of attention and cash to the sport of tennis. He's entering his late 30's and he still plays a mean game of tennis and pops serves in the 130's. The only joke is you.

Are some people so insecure that they cannot allow themselves to like anyone except one player?

How can anyone who has achieved 14 slams be a joke?

Some of you are bordering on obsessive....Do you really think Nadal is proud of his fans being rude and ignorant about every other player in the ATP, when he is so humble and respectful himself!

vmosrafa08
01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
If they play, I think that Sampras is going to win.

Holly
01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
John Mcenroe beat Pete Sampras.......does anyone have some footage of that?

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
John Mcenroe beat Pete Sampras.......does anyone have some footage of that?

Way to steal the topic, anyways, I think it would be a good match, seeing how Sampras has a good serve, but Nadal isn't someone to trample over, when hes beaten Federer.

1st Seed
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Im' sure some of the Sampras deciples will find the quote.Sampras was once not to long ago interviewed and asked witch modern day player he would beat rather easily.No lie he said Nadal.He said and I quote"I would be licking my chops".Pete mentioned that Nadal's loopy stokes along with his 10' behind the baseline would match up good for his serve and volley game.Me personally, If Pete still had his legs it would take him longer to open a pack a balls then it would to beat Rafa.IMO,destroy him with ease.2and2

Nadal_Freak
01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Im' sure some of the Sampras deciples will find the quote.Sampras was once not to long ago interviewed and asked witch modern day player he would beat rather easily.No lie he said Nadal.He said and I quote"I would be licking my chops".Pete mentioned that Nadal's loopy stokes along with his 10' behind the baseline would match up good for his serve and volley game.Me personally, If Pete still had his legs it would take him longer to open a pack a balls then it would to beat Rafa.IMO,destroy him with ease.2and2
And yet he hasn't shown interest in playing Nadal in any exhibition matches. The guy is all talk these days. His fans continue to bring that arrogance Sampras possesses in their posts. It is quite annoying.

1st Seed
01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Not really A big Pete fan, I just call them like i see them.

wangs78
01-07-2009, 04:06 PM
That wouldn't be a smart move from Sampras IMO.Unlike Federer and some other guys,Nadal doesn't really know how to play an exhibition.

LOL. You are right on! He'll be his usual grunting self giving his opponent fits!

Nadal_Freak
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Not really A big Pete fan, I just call them like i see them.
Well Sampras would be amazed how powerful Nadal's passing shots are when he is under pressure. Fed sure has been caught many times at the net with shock of how good Nadal's passing shots have been. Sampras's backhand would be the point of attack for Nadal. If he can't get enough aggressive shots from his backhand, he'll have to come to the net off junk or get his backhand broken down. Advantage Nadal. I think Fed and Sampras have very similar baseline games with Fed being a more consistent version of it.

The-Champ
01-07-2009, 04:10 PM
A lot of people here talk about Pete destroying Nadal, like Nadal has never played tennis. In his prime Sampras' serve was very hard to break....but then again he has to break Nadal's serve as well. Nadal may not have an overpowering serve but he backs it up really well. Unless you suggest sampras makes a return winner off every nadal serve.

wangs78
01-07-2009, 04:11 PM

I gotta admit, I WOULD love to see any of today's big four (Fed, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic) go all out against Pete. Would like to see how many service games Pete can win. I'm going to assume he won't earn any breaks.

The-Champ
01-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Well Sampras would be amazed how powerful Nadal's passing shots are when he is under pressure. Fed sure has been caught many times at the net with shock of how good Nadal's passing shots have been. Sampras's backhand would be the point of attack for Nadal. If he can't get bring enough aggressive shots from his backhand, he'll have to come to the net off junk. Advantage Nadal. I think Fed and Sampras have very similar baseline games with Fed being a more consistent version of it.

You're nuts! Don't ever compare a baseline thoroughbred like Federer to Sampras. There is nothing Sampras can do from the baseline that is even comparable to Federer.

thejoe
01-07-2009, 04:16 PM
You're nuts! Don't ever compare a baseline thoroughbred like Federer to Sampras. There is nothing Sampras can do from the baseline that is even comparable to Federer.

Yes, but Sampras is better at the net than Federer, and that is where he would most likely be against Nadal.

Nadal_Freak
01-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I said Sampras isn't as consistent but they both rely on their forehands to overpower their opponent and use their backhands to rally more. Both being one-handed backhands. Sampras is a weaker version of Fed from the baseline. That doesn't mean he isn't as great as Federer. His net and serving were at another level.

NamRanger
01-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I said Sampras isn't as consistent but they both rely on their forehands to overpower their opponent and use their backhands to rally more. Both being one-handed backhands. Sampras is a weaker version of Fed from the baseline. That doesn't mean he isn't as great as Federer. His net and serving were at another level.

His FH is just as powerful and penetrating. His running FH is better by far. I'd put their FHs as equals.

Sampras also was more aggressive from the baseline than Federer, far more. He ended the point quickly from both sides. Federer tends to lollygaggle at times. Sampras is all business, raw power.

Prime Sampras is a heavy fav. on any surface that isn't named clay. Period. He is a terrible match-up for Nadal. He would do what Gonzalez did at the Australian Open 2007; except he'd do it more efficiently and probably make Nadal eat a bagel.

1st Seed
01-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Yes, but Sampras is better at the net than Federer, and that is where he would most likely be against Nadal.

Pete's quote"licking my chops" when referring to playing Rafa.He's confident he'll beat him.

380pistol
01-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Pete's quote"licking my chops" when referring to playing Rafa.He's confident he'll beat him.

That quote was Sampras talking about him in his prime, not the 37 yr old Pete.

1st Seed
01-07-2009, 04:28 PM

I knew the pete deciples would come through.Still I don't think Rafa would take him out to the wood shed.

NamRanger
01-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I knew the pete deciples would come through.Still I don't think Rafa would take him out to the wood shed.

No, Sampras would take him to the wood shed, and then mop the floor with him if it's a surface not named clay.

JeMar
01-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Federer:Sampras::Edberg:Henman as far as ground strokes go.

I'm a pretty huge Sampras fan, and I'm not overly keen on Nadal as a lot of people in this thread are, but I just don't see the Sampras of today being able to compete with Nadal in a serious match, just how I don't see today's Sampras competing with a serious Federer, or anyone else in the top 15, for that matter.

Unless they play on ice, Sampras' serve would routinely come back low enough that he'd have to hit his fair share of defensive volleys. People forget that when Sampras was so great in the 90s and early 00s, it was because he not only overwhelmed you off his serve, but he also played basically balls to the wall on this return games because of the freedom his serve allotted him. He'd only have to hit a couple of good forehands, intimidate his opponent into missing a pass, and he'd get that one break he needed.

What made his service games great would be gone if he played against a serious Federer or Nadal. It isn't that his serve is slower or that it's lost some luster, it's the fact that he's getting to the service line slower than he used to.

Now, what about his return games? Sampras was an opportunistic returner, but he was not a mechanically sound returner. If they played on a fast court, the speed of the court would also work against Sampras in this respect. He would not even get close to breaking Nadal and Federer.

If Sampras played Nadal, we'd be left with an embarassing, lopsided score that no one would want to see. If the two were to play each other, I expect Nadal to try his hardest because I don't think he idolizes Sampas quite as much as Federer does.

NamRanger
01-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Federer:Sampras::Edberg:Henman as far as ground strokes go.

I'm a pretty huge Sampras fan, and I'm not overly keen on Nadal as a lot of people in this thread are, but I just don't see the Sampras of today being able to compete with Nadal in a serious match, just how I don't see today's Sampras competing with a serious Federer, or anyone else in the top 15, for that matter.

Unless they play on ice, Sampras' serve would routinely come back low enough that he'd have to hit his fair share of defensive volleys. People forget that when Sampras was so great in the 90s and early 00s, it was because he not only overwhelmed you off his serve, but he also played basically balls to the wall on this return games because of the freedom his serve allotted him. He'd only have to hit a couple of good forehands, intimidate his opponent into missing a pass, and he'd get that one break he needed.

What made his service games great would be gone if he played against a serious Federer or Nadal. It isn't that his serve is slower or that it's lost some luster, it's the fact that he's getting to the service line slower than he used to.

Now, what about his return games? Sampras was an opportunistic returner, but he was not a mechanically sound returner. If they played on a fast court, the speed of the court would also work against Sampras in this respect. He would not even get close to breaking Nadal and Federer.

If Sampras played Nadal, we'd be left with an embarassing, lopsided score that no one would want to see. If the two were to play each other, I expect Nadal to try his hardest because I don't think he idolizes Sampas quite as much as Federer does.

You would be surprised at what a former professional player is capable of. Someone as athletic and as great as Sampras could stand a significant chance of beating Nadal if he was just in the zone that day.

Let's not even talk about if Sampras decided to get in shape and train hard. If he DID decide to do that, Nadal would be in serious trouble. Remember, this same Sampras who is out of shape beat the living snot out of Tommy Haas in an exhibition. Granted it was an exhibition, but no pro player wants to get their asses handed to them by a supposedly has been.

1st Seed
01-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Pete runs like Forest now.I'm surprised you think that Jemar.I hope this exo could get done.The posts would get really ugly.People gettin banned daily.This thread will get ugly before it's old news.

380pistol
01-07-2009, 04:39 PM

I don't engage in these threads. Nadal @ 22 > Sampras @ 37. And exhibition is just that, though for 2/3 sets Pete could hold his own, none of this 6-0,6-0 and 6-2,6-2 nonsense being spewed here. I mean broke back Agassi @ 35 pushed Nadal to 3 sets in 2005.

Now if Pete and Rafa are in their primes.... everywhere but clay Nadal is fighting an uphill battle. All anyone has to do is really look at their games and look at their prowess on each respective surface.

NamRanger
01-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't engage in these threads. Nadal @ 22 > Sampras @ 37. And exhibition is just that. Now if Pete and Rafa are in their primes.... everywhere but clay Nadal is fighting an uphill battle.

All anyone has to do is really look at their games and look at their prowess on each respective surface.

I don't know. Do remember, John McEnroe at his ripe age managed to win a significant doubles titles (granted it was with a pretty good doubles player also, and it IS doubles).

Sampras dismissed Haas EASILY, 6-4, 6-2. No pro wants to get beaten down like that, especially by a retired pro.

If Sampras was having a great day and the conditions were favoring him, I believe Sampras could beat Nadal.

kelz
01-07-2009, 04:53 PM

I can't wait. I hope they have an exhibition just before the French Open.

1st Seed
01-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Save it for the grass.If you guys would see it on any surface ,what would it be?

JeMar
01-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Sampras still has amazing hands and an even more amazing serve, but tennis is a game about movement and the movement just isn't there anymore. If we could bring back the '93-'97 Sampras, I have no doubt that Sampras would be the heavy favorite in that match on any surface, but the slowest of clay courts.

GameSampras
01-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I would prefer the actual 4 exos with Nadal-Pete. Much like Roger-Pete in 07. But if we have each match on 4 different surfaces that would be great. Clay-Hard-Grass-Indoor Carpet. Great stuff.

If I had to choose just one I would prefer a slow court. I already know what Pete would do to Nadal if it was a Macau-type court. LOL

abmk
01-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I would prefer the actual 4 exos with Nadal-Pete. Much like Roger-Pete in 07. But if we have each match on 4 different surfaces that would be great. Clay-Hard-Grass-Indoor Carpet. Great stuff.

If I had to choose just one I would prefer a slow court. I already know what Pete would do to Nadal if it was a Macau-type court. LOL

Didn't know you'd be so eager to see nadal defeat sampras in exos not once, but 4 times :)

Again, exos shouldn't be taken that seriously.

1st Seed
01-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Pete still showed some nice tactics to make Roger struggle in that exo.Rafa would have a tough time.Especially now pete's got that Louisville slugger,a.K.A
KPS88"

GameSampras
01-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Didn't know you'd be so eager to see nadal defeat sampras in exos not once, but 4 times :)

Again, exos shouldn't be taken that seriously.

Well I would just prefer a series. Id be happy if Pete just took 1 out of the 4 as he did with Roger. That tells me enough of how Pete in his prime would probably do against them. It evens out IMO. Maybe the guys today take it easy on ole Pete but at the same time, Pete isnt what he was 10 years ago. LOL.

Personally, I think Pete would have it easier with Nadal then he had with Roger. Nadal is a poorer return of serve and never dealt with a Sampras-like serve. Never. If Nadal is going to be glued to the baseline the whole match and not mix it up, whats the topspin going to do to Pete when he is attacking the net following a big 1st or 2nd serve? The topspin is only effective when the opponent is glued to the baseline and afraid to come in.. Now will Nadal's passing shots hurt Pete? Possibly. But will Nadal be able to handle Petes disguise and placement and power serve?

abmk
01-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Again, how would a series of exhibitions show how they would fare if they faced each other in their primes ?

GameSampras
01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Again, how would a series of exhibitions show how they would fare if they faced each other in their primes ?

Well just because their exo's doesnt mean they cant go all out with each other. I mean is there an unwritten rule where you have to go easy on your opponent? The Murray-Fed match was getting pretty heavy duty by the 3rd set.

1st Seed
01-07-2009, 05:26 PM
At Pistol's age,Grass would be his best option.How good is Rafa against s/v players anyways.

bladepdb
01-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Nope, Nadal will not be Sampras's next victim of current tour player victories.

JeMar
01-07-2009, 05:34 PM
At Pistol's age,Grass would be his best option.How good is Rafa against s/v players anyways.

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but Nadal has collectively lost one match against everyone in the top 100 who comes to net as a matter of course if you exclude Federer. Tsonga was playing lights out in that match, too.

Yes, I know there are no true serve and volley players in the top 100 right now, but you gotta work with what you've got.

rubberduckies
01-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Roger beat Sampras in 3 exos and Pete won 1.

All people talk about is the one exo that Pete won. This is in spite of the fact that, before the exo series started, many people were saying that Roger would allow Pete to win 1 or more of them.

Rafa shouldn't play Pete. If he wins, he'll gain absolutely nothing.

abmk
01-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Well just because their exo's doesnt mean they cant go all out with each other. I mean is there an unwritten rule where you have to go easy on your opponent? The Murray-Fed match was getting pretty heavy duty by the 3rd set.

I am not saying there isn't/won't be much intensity in exos at all. Just that it may be only there at some stages . Nothing like a pro match.

GameSampras
01-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Roger beat Sampras in 3 exos and Pete won 1.

All people talk about is the one exo that Pete won. This is in spite of the fact that, before the exo series started, many people were saying that Roger would allow Pete to win 1 or more of them.

Rafa shouldn't play Pete. If he wins, he'll gain absolutely nothing.

Well to be fair. LOL

Roger blew Pete out the 1st exo. The 2nd exo went 7-6,7-6 in favor to Roger. The third Pete won. And the 4th Pete had a 5-2 advantage on Fed in the 3rd and Fed fought back.

JeMar
01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Whenever I think of those exhibitions, I can't help but think of that point when Federer was feeding backhand slices to Pete with a big grin on this face, all while trying to earn the most camera time for this Rolex watch.

They. are. not. real. matches.

Azzurri
01-07-2009, 06:07 PM
A lot of people here talk about Pete destroying Nadal, like Nadal has never played tennis. In his prime Sampras' serve was very hard to break....but then again he has to break Nadal's serve as well. Nadal may not have an overpowering serve but he backs it up really well. Unless you suggest sampras makes a return winner off every nadal serve.

It's pretty simple. Pete has a better serve game then Nadal and a better serve return gme then Nadal. By the way, Nadal sucks on hardcourt. I doubt they play on clay for any EXO. Sampras wins in 3 sets...for entertainment purposes.

Azzurri
01-07-2009, 06:09 PM

exactly, he was talking about "if" Nadal was playing during his heday he would have loved to play him.

smart_player
01-07-2009, 06:59 PM
why everyone raves only about Pete's serve (understandably) and not forehand? Everytime i see Pete really pump a forehand, it really is KAVLA. if rafa plays one loopy shot on Pete's forehand, Pete would pump unbelievable.

Nadal_Freak
01-07-2009, 07:21 PM
why everyone raves only about Pete's serve (understandably) and not forehand? Everytime i see Pete really pump a forehand, it really is KAVLA. if rafa plays one loopy shot on Pete's forehand, Pete would pump unbelievable.
Nadal is the master at taking away your biggest strength. Nadal rarely gives Federer a nice forehand to hit. He would do the same to Sampras. Everything will go to Sampras's backhand.

1st Seed
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
This should have been a poll thread to see what the T.W world says.Half would still say Pete beats him.Rafa be on defense all match.With Pete's transitional game,to much pressure.

Nadal_Freak
01-07-2009, 07:37 PM
This should have been a poll thread to see what the T.W world says.Half would still say Pete beats him.Rafa be on defense all match.With Pete's transitional game,to much pressure.
Half also predict Fed to beat Nadal at Roland Garros for many years. I could bring back the polls. Yeah I don't take seriously what the TW bubble say as it is heavily biased against Nadal.

1Sampras
01-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Whenever I think of those exhibitions, I can't help but think of that point when Federer was feeding backhand slices to Pete with a big grin on this face, all while trying to earn the most camera time for this Rolex watch.

They. are. not. real. matches.

Maybe you should watch the second set where Federer Screamed a COME ON! when he got Sampras to deuce on his serve. I hope the exo happens and you guys will be saying Nadal let Pete win just like all the others. No pro with any competitiveness would allow Sampras to win even one match!

1st Seed
01-07-2009, 07:46 PM
I agree but I was referring to the sum of the forum that know's tennis.Not deciding there opinion because the have Rafa's shoes.You would be amazed, the Pete deciples will fill you with reasons.Not a big fan of both but I know enough to tell you Pete would have to much fire power Plus pressure.The truth hurts.Sorry

Nadal_Freak
***********s are trying to overwhelm the *******s. Thank God there aren't many of them on here but they make up for it by being twice as loud.

1st Seed
These Nadal freaks!

Holly
01-07-2009, 08:13 PM
***********s are trying to overwhelm the *******s. Thank God there aren't many of them on here but they make up for it by being twice as loud.

I'm not trying to put Sampras down or anything. he is one of my favorites of all time. But if you want a name for a certain very very few Sampras fans who are crazy then I think simply......

Samprasses is a better name.....don't you? ;)

anointedone
01-07-2009, 08:22 PM

Seriously you couldnt be more truthful here. Some of the recent ***********s make the *******s of this forum like saints, something which I could not have imagined anyone donig. I try to take humour and satire from their posts and mind numbing threads if at all possible, as I dont even want to put myself through trying to take seriously some of the things they say.

380pistol
01-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't know. Do remember, John McEnroe at his ripe age managed to win a significant doubles titles (granted it was with a pretty good doubles player also, and it IS doubles).

Sampras dismissed Haas EASILY, 6-4, 6-2. No pro wants to get beaten down like that, especially by a retired pro.

If Sampras was having a great day and the conditions were favoring him, I believe Sampras could beat Nadal.

Doubles is different from singles. As a huge Sampras fan Nadal at 22 is the better player than Sampras at 37. From the Federer exhos I can take a few things that I feel translate to real matches.....

-Sampras' serve is a beast. He was clocking as fast as 136mph, and regularly going into to the 130's. What struck me was how Federer was lunging at so many serves, caught flat footed (froze) and delivered weak returns, I see the same happening to Nadal even with Pete at 37

-Pet can hold his serve. In one of the exhibitions Federer could not muster a break point. Now I'm not one to get in depth with exhos but I found that significant. I mean Sampras was 37 and trying not to embarrass himself, and Roger was not playing it like it was a slam, but not 1 break point???

-Sampras still possesses raw power. Genetically power is the last to go.

Where Sampras will pay is although he can do things well, someone mentioned he's not getting to the service line as fast as peak Sampras would. And yes how Sampras (even at 37) can still bomb a serve on the line, knife a volley better than 99% (if not 100%) of the people on tour, and can drill a forehand when it gets in hos wheelhouse, but at this stage getting his body in position to do it is the question.

Now for a quick 2/3 set match of course he can beat Nadal, just based on things I mentioned. But based on their age, current playing level, physical condition, I go with Nadal. Both in their primes... a different story.

smart_player
01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
but imagaine rafa with the trademark 'ah!' whenever he strikes the ball ; and then Pete 'the king of swing' just strolling into position and pumping one unbelievable forehand effortlessly (as loose as the swinging arm of a monkey); it's enough to make you go off to the toilet for a couple of minutes, lol.

but in all seriousness the movement of Pete is not what it once was and this could pose a problem, but i hope to God that if they that play Pete wins

btw if both in their primes no contest on any surface (Rafa would win by the largest margain on Clay, but Pete would very comfotably defeat Rafa on any other surface)