PDA

View Full Version : Continental grip on serve...

chrisab508
04-01-2004, 06:26 AM
i don't reall understand this, because using the eastern grip (which i am accustomed to doing) it seems like ill be hitting the ball straight. however, with a continetal grip it seems like if i keep the same serve motion, due to the rotation of the racquet in hand (from grip change) that the ball will be hit to my left every time.. I don't understand this, although i haven't really tried it either.

thanks!

Anonymous
04-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Thats right, a continental will make the ball go out to the left,
you need to adjust your toss and body rotation,
I think it is very difficult to spin the ball with an eastern grip because, like you said, it is hitting the ball straight, You don't want to do that. You'll see as your serves get more variety and power that it is hard to be consistent with an eastern grip.
Did i answer your question?

chrisab508
04-01-2004, 08:56 AM
yah, you answered it, i just wasn't sure if thats how it was supposed to be. So yah, thanks.

kevhen
04-01-2004, 12:36 PM
No with continental, the ball should go straight ahead, you have to bend your elbow like 90 degrees with continental so that your racquet is horizontal and not totally vertical like with an eastern flat serve. The ball toss is a little bit lower with a continental grip as well, but if you are hitting it left, you are not bending your elbow when striking the ball. Make sure you snap the wrist forward and you will create topspin on the serve and it will dive down into the court even when you hit hard. A flat straight armed shot will not have much spin on it.

I use both serves, but mostly use the continental since I get a much higher percentage in (like 70% vs 40%) thanks to the extra topspin generated. It is easier for me to place a flat serve though if I can get it in.

fastdunn
04-01-2004, 12:55 PM
There's also the pronation factor which I think you tend to
get more, naturally, with continetal grip.

chrisab508
04-01-2004, 01:45 PM
people keep talking about pronation, what is that?
Also, Kevhen, i don't really understand the thing that you're saying about elbow at 90degrees as well as teh racquet being horizontal rather than vertical.

thanks.