PDA

View Full Version : Here's my solution:

Racer41c
01-07-2009, 01:01 PM
... to the bailout problem. This is a capitalist's solution so yes it would work.

Instead of bailing out automakers and all the financials that should just go away, here's what I'd do.

Issue Visa/Mc/Amex cards back to the taxpayers in the amount of the tax paid last year. The card is good for 1 year only and it gets refilled with last years tax/12 per month (to spread out the cost and spending). Cap it so that the total comes out to whatever you want, say $700B.

Simple enough, generates $700B in economic activity, and puts to work all the people who should have jobs. The best part? The people in control of how the money is spent is me and you, not a bunch of lying politicians with greasy palms.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-07-2009, 01:47 PM
But the government spends the tax money we give them. If you're suggesting this, then there would some inflation, would there be not?

tennisguyak
01-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Another problem would be that if we did get our tax money back, and the big 3 automakers do go bankrupt, then the thousands of people who work for them in manufacturing, and the thousands of people that make the parts that they manufacture, and the thousands of people that develop the materials for the parts would lose their jobs. And those people wouldn't spend that money they get from taxes on even more expensive, home land products, instead on the cheapest essentials possible. In essence, it would hurt more than it helps.

raiden031
01-07-2009, 02:51 PM
... to the bailout problem. This is a capitalist's solution so yes it would work.

Instead of bailing out automakers and all the financials that should just go away, here's what I'd do.

Issue Visa/Mc/Amex cards back to the taxpayers in the amount of the tax paid last year. The card is good for 1 year only and it gets refilled with last years tax/12 per month (to spread out the cost and spending). Cap it so that the total comes out to whatever you want, say $700B.

Simple enough, generates $700B in economic activity, and puts to work all the people who should have jobs. The best part? The people in control of how the money is spent is me and you, not a bunch of lying politicians with greasy palms.

This wouldn't guarantee that the industries that need it (finance, automakers) would be helped.

Also this doesn't attack the root of the problem, and thats the way they were doing business. The financial industry was being controlled by the housing bubble and let anyone who had a heartbeat get a loan, knowing in a few years they would be unable to pay their monthly payments. Instead they banked on those people selling the home for massive profits when the time came. In the car industry, they continued making cars that could not get with the times of higher fuel costs, operated extremely inefficiently, and then lost out to foreign manufacturers. Any solution that doesn't force these industries to change the way they do business is nothing more than a bandaid. At least with the bailout, they are forced to change in order to receive the money.

am22fcw
01-09-2009, 07:11 PM
most forms of government (especially capitalism) look good on paper but when they are put into action then they are less successful.

10s talk
01-09-2009, 07:25 PM
most forms of government (especially capitalism) look good on paper but when they are put into action then they are less successful.

nice try

then why doesn't anyone leave the US and go to France ?

RestockingTues
01-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I don't think the U.S. population is confident enough to spend anymore money; for the last few decades all we've been doing was spend, spend, spend, borrow, and spend, and quite frankly our economic situation is rather morbid at best. I think Stormholloway mentioned in another thread that the only way we'll get back on our feet is if we survive a depression; while I'm completely hoping against that (because I graduate from highschool in '10), I agree that we'll need to endure a depression. A common tennis mantra is "What goes up must come down", no? Eventually, we'll hit rock bottom, the lack of government spending during the depression will eventually bring our debt low enough for it to be manageable, and hopefully we'll be back on our feet. Someone correct me on this if need be, I'm not sure I understand completely how the economy works.

Hey SHOWSTOPPER! Fancy meeting you in here; I dig your signature :)

RestockingTues
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Does the housing bubble remind anyone of the Dot Com Bust?
It seems similar enough to me; both real estate prices and company stock were ridiculously inflated. A few years ago all of my friend's parents(and my own) told their kids to get into real estate marketing; I think after my dad immigrated here everyone was told to get into computer engineering/Internet marketing.

Coincidence?

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't think the U.S. population is confident enough to spend anymore money; for the last few decades all we've been doing was spend, spend, spend, borrow, and spend, and quite frankly our economic situation is rather morbid at best. I think Stormholloway mentioned in another thread that the only way we'll get back on our feet is if we survive a depression; while I'm completely hoping against that (because I graduate from highschool in '10), I agree that we'll need to endure a depression. A common tennis mantra is "What goes up must come down", no? Eventually, we'll hit rock bottom, the lack of government spending during the depression will eventually bring our debt low enough for it to be manageable, and hopefully we'll be back on our feet. Someone correct me on this if need be, I'm not sure I understand completely how the economy works.

Hey SHOWSTOPPER! Fancy meeting you in here; I dig your signature :)

Please, call me S. And I did some tests; it turns out you can make a superhuman out of Fed's pubes. (or if you were referring to my "Chocoholic, but for Booze" sig, yeah. (slurred) Who da f*** are ya callin' a chocoholic? lol jk)

RestockingTues
01-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Please, call me S. And I did some tests; it turns out you can make a superhuman out of Fed's pubes. (or if you were referring to my "Chocoholic, but for Booze" sig, yeah. (slurred) Who da f*** are ya callin' a chocoholic? lol jk)
If you have any more of Fed's pubes, my solution would be to sell them to a US genetics lab, so they could clone multi-lingual, backwards pants-wearing, ballroom dancing super soldiers. With an army like that, we wouldn't have anymore national debt :D

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-10-2009, 11:46 AM
If you have any more of Fed's pubes, my solution would be to sell them to a US genetics lab, so they could clone multi-lingual, backwards pants-wearing, ballroom dancing super soldiers. With an army like that, we wouldn't have anymore national debt :D

No, those soldiers could kill a man with a tennis ball 18 different ways, 11 of them I cannot explain.