PDA

View Full Version : How to be more consistent

wishsong
01-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I just joined talk tennis, and I've only played 1 year of JV high school tennis >_> I know not amazing. But I've gotten better even though I only play 2 times a week. My first question is: How do I get more consistent? I can play as good as an average Varsity player (maybe even better, but not super good) once in a while. Some days I can just play like mad. My serve was crap last week, now It's really fast and the slice is just so good xD I bet it'll go down to an inconsistent one next week :[ My backhand has always been consistent, but it isn't so powerful. My forehand is really good when I am good, fast with spin, but when I'm not I just hit it out all the time, or I just can't react fast enough. So here's the wrap up:

How do I get more consistent? Any drills?
How do I get my backhand better (I use a 2 hander)?
Lastly, (random question) any drills for a kick serve?

oneguy21
01-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Just keep practicing. Try to get good net clearance on your groundstrokes (3-6) feet above the net. Don't be afraid to swing fast. You'll need good racquet head speed to generate lots of spin. Also, you should try to hit a majority of your balls cross court. Why? Because the balls will go over the lowest part of the net and also since you have more court to work with. Now that's high percentage tennis. On your backhand, try to get good arm extension. Your left arm should be extended completely at a certain point during the swing. From personal experience I can say that you shouldn't try to brush up too much on your backhand. This can lead to a lot of mishits. It's important to hit through the ball on your backhand. This can still be done with good net clearance.

If you want a drill for your kick serve. Trying hitting kick serves while sitting down near the same spot you would for a serve. This will force you to brush up the ball to get it over. Again, the idea is good net clearance. I would have to say this drill drastically improved my second serve and now, I have no hesitation swinging as fast as I can on my second serves.

LeeD
01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
One year of tennis means you cannot be consistent.
Hit another 3 years with coaching, then ask again.
One year at any sport is NOVICE level at best.
Surfing, snowboarding, skiing, waterskiing, motocross, road racing, windsurfing, or tennis.
Novice are not consistent, and they need to practice lots more.
54 lbs. ???? How can that work on first and second serves or hard hit forehands?

nickynu
01-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Hows your fitness?, speed and footwork are the keys to consistency, you should be in position to hit every ball the same way for consistency, if you are not lined up, on balance, behind the ball, then it just wont happen.

Another key to consistecy is the warm up, when you play do not accept less than 5 mins starting in the service boxes with quick exaggerated footwork, building racket head speed, and moving back after a while, concentrating on extending your swing. Then 5 mins of serves and you are ready to go. Dont allow yourself to be rushed warming up as everything that follows is a product of it.

Noaler
01-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Surfing, snowboarding, skiing, waterskiing, motocross, road racing, windsurfing, or tennis.
54 lbs. ???? How can that work on first and second serves or hard hit forehands?

Ehh, maybe another two years.

oneguy21
01-07-2009, 03:30 PM

LeeD,

Do you honestly play tennis yourself? You seem to know a lot about tennis yet it seems as if you simply read everything about techniques, strategy, and equipment out of a textbook never really trying anything out on the court. I'll tell you I hit many hard forehands and 54 lbs work great for me. Just because I string at a low tension does not mean I can't hit the ball hard. There are many, many, many players out there who hit the crap out of the ball and still string at a low tension. It's all about how the setup works for the player. If a hard hitting player like's a low tension, then so be it! You shouldn't critcize them for it. There are many pros who string at a low tension.

e.g - Fillipo Volandri - 20 lbs but he still probably hits harder than any of us
Marcos Baghdatis- not sure but pretty low
countless other players.

LeeD, just leave Talk Tennis. I'm tired of reading your ignorant posts.

I hope I don't get banned for this, but I had to let it out. :|

wishsong
01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Well actually I've played for 1 and a half >_> But I'd say I've grown pretty fast just not as much as I could have. My fitness is good, just that sometimes I over run the ball or I just don't react fast enough. Well I guess playing more would help with consistency, but there should be something else that can help. It's really not completely bad, when I'm not that good it's not like I'm hitting the balls over the fence. I just don't get enough pace :P

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-07-2009, 03:41 PM
LeeD,

Do you honestly play tennis yourself? You seem to know a lot about tennis yet it seems as if you simply read everything about techniques, strategy, and equipment out of a textbook never really trying anything out on the court. I'll tell you I hit many hard forehands and 54 lbs work great for me. Just because I string at a low tension does not mean I can't hit the ball hard. There are many, many, many players out there who hit the crap out of the ball and still string at a low tension. It's all about how the setup works for the player. If a hard hitting player like's a low tension, then so be it! You shouldn't critcize them for it. There are many pros who string at a low tension.

e.g - Fillipo Volandri - 20 lbs but he still probably hits harder than any of us
countless other players.

I've got to agree with you, just because you string at 54 pounds doesnt mean you can't play, LeeD I can see where your coming from, but it sounds like your trying to act like you know everything, which isnt true, as nobody does.

Frankauc
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
hit more topspin if you want better consistency. That and practice

nickynu
01-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Hey cool it guys he was just saying 54lbs is pretty low and wondering if that was too low as it would produce too much power and not enough control.

Seems like a valid question to me so why dont you guys just enjoy the talk tennis way of life and stop with the trash talking about LeeD and if you dont like what he posts then post something better.

Bullys make me sick wherever they are found, so please remember this is internet forumland not life or death, CHILL!!

junbumkim
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
You can be consistent at any level.

1. Pay close attention to the ball. You should be able to take a snap shot of
the ball before you swing at the ball. And, you should see your opponent
making the contact with the ball. This will help you recognize what kind of
shots your opponent is hitting and respond / predict quicker.

2. Understand the geometry of the court. Rule of thumb is that cross court is
usually safest shot for a number of reasons.

3. Know your limits and work into the rhythm. Just because one day you
were cracking forehand and backhand doesn't mean that's your level.
Know what shots you have and don't have. In practice, don't start to go
for shots immediately, but focus on the ball and work your up.

4. This is the most important thing: PRACTICE and PRACTICE...

LeeD
01-07-2009, 04:18 PM
It's OK, you can trash talk me all you want.
I've always said I'm old, maybe 3 times your ages, short for tennis at 5'11", and losing lots of my former (if there ever was any) skills.
My current stringer is a ranked 5.0 player in California. He's slighter than me, hits much softer, and likes mid 50's string tension on 95 sized rackets.
I hit much harder, use the same size rackets (currently Mfil200 18x20's with a variety of strings I've been trying to see what I might like), and the stringer (Bill at PlazaTennis) say I SHOULD use more than 60 for the way I hit my serves and backhands.
My forehand sucks, so let's not go there.
30 years ago, I strung sets of Wilson rackets for RaulRameriz, DickStockton, and MikeCahill. Got to hit with each of them for their tournament warmups at the TransAmerica in SF.
I'm not a great player by any means, but good enough for some top 20 PRO's to warm up with. OK, Mike was only #1 for USC.
You say I don't play tennis. You're right somewhat. I don't touch a tennis racket from May thru November.
I windsurf and surf then.

chilllaxin006
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
couple things i'd through into the mix

be positive

be confidant

their important too

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-07-2009, 04:23 PM
It's OK, you can trash talk me all you want.
I've always said I'm old, maybe 3 times your ages, short for tennis at 5'11", and losing lots of my former (if there ever was any) skills.
My current stringer is a ranked 5.0 player in California. He's slighter than me, hits much softer, and likes mid 50's string tension on 95 sized rackets.
I hit much harder, use the same size rackets (currently Mfil200 18x20's with a variety of strings I've been trying to see what I might like), and the stringer (Bill at PlazaTennis) say I SHOULD use more than 60 for the way I hit my serves and backhands.
My forehand sucks, so let's not go there.
30 years ago, I strung sets of Wilson rackets for RaulRameriz, DickStockton, and MikeCahill. Got to hit with each of them for their tournament warmups at the TransAmerica in SF.
I'm not a great player by any means, but good enough for some top 20 PRO's to warm up with. OK, Mike was only #1 for USC.
You say I don't play tennis. You're right somewhat. I don't touch a tennis racket from May thru November.
I windsurf and surf then.

Wow, I didn't mean to "trash talk" I was simply stating that you were asking a rhetorical question, but theres no need to pull this stuff out from nowhere, im not asking for your ethos, as we all have the same amount on forums.

LeeD
01-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I ask a simple question concerning string tension and both of you say I"m commenting on your skill level.
What does asking how your string tension works have to do with judgment of your skill levels?
I DID say my stringer, a much better tennis player than you guys, uses mid 50 tensioning.
But he sees no way I can use that tension, because I swing much harder and faster, and hit the ball faster.
Now I didn't say I was better, I said I hit the ball faster.
But back to the first posts.
Practice makes more consistent, and if you only got 2 hours twice a week, it's hard to be consistent!!

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
I ask a simple question concerning string tension and both of you say I"m commenting on your skill level.
What does asking how your string tension works have to do with judgment of your skill levels?
I DID say my stringer, a much better tennis player than you guys, uses mid 50 tensioning.
But he sees no way I can use that tension, because I swing much harder and faster, and hit the ball faster.
Practice makes more consistent, and if you only got 2 hours twice a week, it's hard to be consistent!!

Lol, really? Hes better? when you've never seen us play, come on now, assuming things will only get you so far, but im done with it, its not my arguement, im not in this anymore.

To the OP: Try to hit with at least 3 feet of net clearance (considering your hitting with topspin) and keep your footwork up, a majority of your errors are concerned with your feet.

ssjkyle31
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I just joined talk tennis, and I've only played 1 year of JV high school tennis >_> I know not amazing. But I've gotten better even though I only play 2 times a week. My first question is: How do I get more consistent? I can play as good as an average Varsity player (maybe even better, but not super good) once in a while. Some days I can just play like mad. My serve was crap last week, now It's really fast and the slice is just so good xD I bet it'll go down to an inconsistent one next week :[ My backhand has always been consistent, but it isn't so powerful. My forehand is really good when I am good, fast with spin, but when I'm not I just hit it out all the time, or I just can't react fast enough. So here's the wrap up:

How do I get more consistent? Any drills?
How do I get my backhand better (I use a 2 hander)?
Lastly, (random question) any drills for a kick serve?

Go to community tennis lesson. Most lessons in Southern California for youth are about $7 to $10 for a 1 to 1.5 hour lesson.

Setup a practice rally every afternoon with some old guy who is willing to run down your ball. Most old cranks will complain that you don't hit right at them (those guys you need to stay away for the moment because they are only in tennis for themselves not the advancement of the game for younger players).

Eventually you will start learning to hit at light pace in a rally. Start increasing the pace slowly. You should pay special attention at racket positioning and the effects of certain swings; looping swings, compact swings and volleys.

ronalditop
01-07-2009, 04:42 PM

im with LeeD on this. i also swing very fast and hard, and it would be impossible for me to keep the ball in court with such low tension.

Mada
01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Lol, really? Hes better? when you've never seen us play, come on now, assuming things will only get you so far, but im done with it, its not my arguement, im not in this anymore.

To the OP: Try to hit with at least 3 feet of net clearance (considering your hitting with topspin) and keep your footwork up, a majority of your errors are concerned with your feet.

I don't think he necessarily meant that comment to be a cheapshot on your skills. It seems like it might have just been bad wording of what he meant.

mental midget
01-07-2009, 05:06 PM
i believe federer strings his rackets at 48 lb. take what you want from that.

ronalditop
01-07-2009, 05:18 PM
but federer uses a extremely small headsize. that compensate the low tension.

herosol
01-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't have great strokes, but consistency?

It's all about Counting OUT LOUD!
You have to really put effort into every shot (not strength).
Really care for to make the shot.

When you miss a shot. Ask yourself:

"If I was playing that last ball for a million dollars, could i have worked much harder?"

If you answer yes, then be dedicated to hit every shot with all caring.
If you can seriously answered no, then perhaps it was just an unlucky break in your streak :p

junbumkim
01-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Tension is a matter of preference.

I strong my racket around 53~54lb and play around 4.0 level. There are other 4.0s who string their racket in low to high 60s.

superlobber
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Wishsong,
Being consistent is hard at all, all you have to do is hit the ball in play. Try to give yourself about 3' of margin from the line. Whenever you got better, give yourself 2', then so on.

oneguy21
01-07-2009, 07:34 PM
i believe federer strings his rackets at 48 lb. take what you want from that.

Well that was at the 2008 Wimbledon final. But yes Federer does string his frames below 55 lbs sometimes.

Djokovicfan4life
01-07-2009, 07:59 PM
LeeD,

countless other players.

Federer strings somewhere in the mid 40s if I'm not mistaken. String tension does not make as big a difference as everyone on here says it does. You don't go from painting the lines with 60 lbs. to hitting them 6 feet long with 54 lbs.

Djokovicfan4life
01-07-2009, 08:11 PM

Oh please, so the OP should not even make an effort to be consistent because he lacks experience? You don't have to play a high level of tennis to be consistent. When my brother started really getting into tennis he was a very consistent player. He used a one handed backhand that he basically just pushed back with his forehand grip and he hit very conservative forehands with a moderate amount of topspin.

Was he a great player? Of course not. But he was a great defender and never made stupid mistakes. He still is a great defender now, the difference is that he knows when to attack and he has developed the skills to do so over time.

Consistency should always come first in a player's development. It's much easier to learn controlled aggression after developing consistency then it is to learn consistency after just hitting hard and hoping it goes in.

DJG
01-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Consistency should always come first in a player's development. It's much easier to learn controlled aggression after developing consistency then it is to learn consistency after just hitting hard and hoping it goes in.

I agree with this train of thought. Difficult to implement...

ssjkyle31
01-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Here here:)

nickynu
01-08-2009, 03:24 AM
Oh please, so the OP should not even make an effort to be consistent because he lacks experience? You don't have to play a high level of tennis to be consistent. When my brother started really getting into tennis he was a very consistent player. He used a one handed backhand that he basically just pushed back with his forehand grip and he hit very conservative forehands with a moderate amount of topspin.

Was he a great player? Of course not. But he was a great defender and never made stupid mistakes. He still is a great defender now, the difference is that he knows when to attack and he has developed the skills to do so over time.

Hmm seem to remember Bollettieri saying that when Andre was learning the game his dad told him just to "hit the heck out of it" and that once he could do that then eventually, they would start to go in.

Djokovicfan4life
01-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Hmm seem to remember Bollettieri saying that when Andre was learning the game his dad told him just to "hit the heck out of it" and that once he could do that then eventually, they would start to go in.

I highly doubt that that's accurate. Sounds more like a high school player's approach to the game, and a bad high schooler at that.

nickynu
01-08-2009, 02:25 PM
I highly doubt that that's accurate. Sounds more like a high school player's approach to the game, and a bad high schooler at that.

What you think Agassi's approach was that of a bad high schooler ?- I will let others decide how intelligent your post sounds, I couldn't possibly comment.

oneguy21
01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
What you think Agassi's approach was that of a bad high schooler ?- I will let others decide how intelligent your post sounds, I couldn't possibly comment.

What Djoko is saying is that Agassi's approach to the game probably wasn't "hitting the heck out of every ball." That's just a poor strategy. It's better to learn controlled consistency first, then develop your game from there.

nickynu
01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I agree that that is the better strategy for the OP oneguy- Just stating what Bolletieri said on the "attack" video with Agassi

tenzinrocks
01-08-2009, 03:15 PM

and that's why I was rank 8th in districts and won high school tournaments in my first year? Now it is my 2nd year and I'm aiming for rank 3 in school and win districts. It's my 2nd year now, see? So a 3.5-4 player sucks if he's been playing alittle over a year?

oneguy21
01-08-2009, 03:22 PM
and that's why I was rank 8th in districts and won high school tournaments in my first year? Now it is my 2nd year and I'm aiming for rank 3 in school and win districts. It's my 2nd year now, see? So a 3.5-4 player sucks if he's been playing alittle over a year?

Don't listen to LeeD. He already has a reputation for giving bad advice.