PDA

View Full Version : K Gut Tension

am22fcw
01-07-2009, 02:26 PM
How well does K Gut hold Tension? i am going to try it out becuase it is only 35 dollars for the mini reel.

Valjean
01-07-2009, 02:37 PM
See for yourself here, too: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

am22fcw
01-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks a lot that is pretty sweet

JavierLW
01-07-2009, 03:05 PM
See for yourself here, too: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

Wow, this is like the greatest article that you've ever posted in the "history of tennis".

Thanks!!!!, I was looking for the latest table.

I think it's cool that you can sort it but they sort of messed up because it sorts it alpha-numerically as text, versus sort by number.

(ie.. 10.92 is on the top, but 9.62 would be near the bottom since in ascii 9 comes after 1)

Bad Dog
01-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Valjean I regularly use Wilson's K-Gut and K-Gut Pro in 17 gauge, and love them both for their superlative and slightly different multi properties.

The link you gave is slightly confusing, because it indicates that in 17 gauge, the K-Gut is stiffer and holds tension better than K-Gut. However, my experience seems to indicate that the Pro is stiffer, and if anything, may hold tension as well as K-Gut. It is also hard to imagine that K-Gut Pro 17 would lose more tension than, for example, Sensation.

What's your interpretation?

Valjean
01-08-2009, 03:42 AM
Would you kindly review your sentence, BD? "The link you gave is slightly confusing, because it indicates that in 17 gauge, the K-Gut is stiffer and holds tension better than K-Gut."

Bad Dog
01-08-2009, 03:59 AM
Would you kindly review your sentence, BD? "The link you gave is slightly confusing, because it indicates that in 17 gauge, the K-Gut is stiffer and holds tension better than K-Gut."

My apologies. :) Here is the redraft:

The link you gave is slightly confusing, because it indicates that in 17 gauge, the K-Gut is stiffer and holds tension better than K-Gut Pro (also in 17 gauge).

Now what's your take?

Valjean
01-08-2009, 08:40 AM
I would guess the fact that K-Gut Pro is pre-stretched could be contributing to a sense that it is stiffer. And look--NXT Tour 17, too, loses more tension in the USRSA test procedure than Sensation 17, not to mention Volkl Power Fiber II 17 and Tecnifibre TGV 17. However, I'd think the best way to sort this out for you is to test your tension loss over time in your strung racquet.

hoodjem
01-08-2009, 08:45 AM
The RSI list is based on scientific measurements--not on our experiences.

I find that it is very useful, but will not always exactly and perfectly indicative of what will "feel" with actual playing.

Bad Dog
01-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I would guess the fact that K-Gut Pro is pre-stretched could be contributing to a sense that it is stiffer.

Valjean,

Sorry, I am not quite getting it so let's try again. :) The chart you linked above clearly indicates that K-Gut 17 holds tension better and is also stiffer than K-Gut Pro 17. To me that seems incorrect from my experience, and also as you mentioned Pro seems pre-stretched from the factory, which is supposedly to maintain tension better. What is your opinion on comparing those particular numbers, for those particular strings? :)

Valjean
01-08-2009, 09:31 AM
And I said these numbers can seem to be contradicting your experience and yet still be valid because the current lab testing is not designed to take measurement of all of your tactile responses. After all, stiffness need not merely correspond with what you and I call comfort and/or feel, and its lack. And the test as conducted also needn't be taking into account that pre-stretching--which has its primary effect on resiliency, not stiffness per se--can affect you so. This effect might also be contributing to a sense than the tension has not declined as rapidly as it has in fact. You have to test your own responses to see how valid they are for everyone else, though, first.