PDA

View Full Version : Fitness cautions before a tournament

baseline08thrasher
01-07-2009, 07:38 PM
hey guys,

I have a good idea of what to do but I'd like to hear some more opinions.

I have a tournament on January 17th, and I'd like to run and do some more sprinting before then.

Tommorow I have an important biology field trip, and I'm super bumd that I cannot play tennis.

So on friday-tuesday I plan on focusing on some fitness to make sure i'm in tip top shape, I already am really fit, but I want to make sure that I'm going to be on my top level when I play.

I'm planning on doing some footwork, core exercises, sprinting, a little bit of upper body strength exercises, and flexibility work.

on wednesday to friday I plan on hitting as much as possible.

on friday- tuesday I'm also hitting for around 4-6 hours a day then.

Then on wednesday- friday, I'm planning on hitting for 2-3 hours.
possibly more if i'm unsatisfied with myself.

What do you guys think?
I'm used to a lot of practice, I just wondered if I was pushing the fitness a little bit too much right before the tournament.

oneguy21
01-07-2009, 07:50 PM
hey guys,

I have a tournament on January 17th, and I'd like to run and do some more sprinting before then.

Tommorow I have an important biology field trip, and I'm super bumd that I cannot play tennis.

So on friday-tuesday I plan on focusing on some fitness to make sure i'm in tip top shape, I already am really fit, but I want to make sure that I'm going to be on my top level when I play.

I'm planning on doing some footwork, core exercises, sprinting, a little bit of upper body strength exercises, and flexibility work.

What do you guys think?
I'm used to a lot of practice, I just wondered if I was pushing the fitness a little bit too much right before the tournament.

What level tournament are you playing. If it's not too high, you should focus more on your tennis. I'm not saying you should stop working on your fitness, but this is a tennis tournament best of 3 sets with a super tie breaker in lieu of 3rd set, right?

Just run some sprints for fitness and then turn your attention to tennis.

I have a tournament that week too and I'm just going to focus on lot's of hitting. Can't get enough in the winter.

baseline08thrasher
01-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Oh cool, which tournament are you playing?

This is a designated tournament, so it's important that I feel confident going into the draw.

I'm going to do some fitness, but definitely a lot more tennis of course.

oneguy21
01-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Oh cool, which tournament are you playing?

This is a designated tournament, so it's important that I feel confident going into the draw.

I'm going to do some fitness, but definitely a lot more tennis of course.

It's in the mid-atlantic region. You wouldn't know b/c your in California.

baseline08thrasher
01-07-2009, 08:13 PM
I know, I was just wondering.

Rten10
01-08-2009, 05:30 AM
hey guys,

What do you guys think?

Starting your fitness regimen a week before the tournament isn't going to make that big of a difference in your play on the 17th. Improving one's fitness, especially strength and speed, takes time and a lot of hard work. I am not advising you against doing all of the things that you listed above, but be careful. A guy I know who is one of the best juniors in the country never hits 6 hours a day. Three at the most but usually less. Be careful to avoid injury before the tournament.