PDA

View Full Version : Which is the next Tennis power nation ?

StupidCupid
02-21-2005, 09:55 AM
The russian girls brought a breathe of fresh air to tennis. Would they be "the force" in the next 10 years ? I think it would be nice to see a bunch of Asian girls rising up.

TennisD
02-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Canada, of course. Not.

@wright
02-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Am I the only one thinking Cyprus?

voltman
02-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Would that mean a bunch of good players or one really really good player?

USCfan
02-21-2005, 11:50 AM
I'd say Spain.

tennissavy
02-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Regarding the WTA, the Chinese players are the ones to watch out for in the future. They won the doubles gold medal in Athens and have been steadily improving since then. Pretty much all of the tournaments include the Chinese women and they are making progress. I have seen Serena Williams challenged by a couple of the Chinese but got favorable calls when they were about to break her serve but I don't want to go on a tangent there. Her favorable calls far outweigh the few that have gone against her but that would be for another post. The matches I have seen with the Chinese women show me that they are in general mentally tough and, with their steady improvement and determination, I pick them to rise to the top like the Russian women.

Docalex007
02-21-2005, 12:09 PM
For the women its hands down Russia. The majority of female finalists this year at the AO were Russian and this is no surprise. The more they win ...the more the Russians are realizing they can compete just as good anyone in the game of tennis. For the guys i think Spain will birth huge stars in the years to come.

pound cat
02-21-2005, 12:13 PM
The Chiinese are spending huge amounts of money on tennis development with academies where promising kids are sent to learn tennis full time, year round. With the Olympics set to be in Beijing in '12, there will be a big sports push so that the Chinese can try to win medals in every event. They also have a strong work ethic and pride in competing well for their country.

BERDI4
02-21-2005, 12:31 PM
I'd say Spain too. Argentina, unfortunately doesn't have younger players to come after Coria and Nalbandian.

tennisnj
02-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Actually the Beijing Olympics are in '08, not trying to nitpick pound cat, I just don't want the usuals on here ramming the mistake down your throat like they do everyone else.

adnankujundzic
02-21-2005, 12:45 PM
croatia on mens side

Camilio Pascual
02-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Russia is the tennis power in the WTA right now with 8 players and 22,746.75 points in the Top 20. The next tennis power in the WTA is probably the USA and it may happen as soon as July. Right now there are 4 in the Top 10 with 14,296 points. If Serena and Lindsay hold their positions (or even trade them with each other) JenCap and Venus at #8 and #10 would likely put the USA on top by getting ahead of Dementieva, who is at #7 and looks the most vulnerable or Sharapova, Myskina, or Kuznetsova. Molik and Mauresmo could do enough damage to the Russians to accidentally help the USA pull this off. They might actually be the key to this depending on if they do much better against the USA or the Russians.
China? AT LEAST 5 years away. Somebody might be able to change my mind on this and it will be sooner. If so, then the names of the 3 or 4 most likely to win Majors are already known to the tennis cognoscenti. Who are they?

goober
02-21-2005, 01:39 PM
have seen Serena Williams challenged by a couple of the Chinese but got favorable calls when they were about to break her serve but I don't want to go on a tangent there. .

Just out of curosity which chinese players challenged Serena Williams?

If large numbers of chinese women get past the qurater finals of grand slams, they will be noticed. Right now I think the furthest anyone has gone is the 4th round.

IOP
02-21-2005, 01:46 PM
I think the Chinese girls will cause slight dents at tier 2 and 3 tonurnaments in the next 2-5 years. In grand slams, maybe only the next generation Chinese girls might.

Marius_Hancu
02-21-2005, 02:16 PM
hope the Czechs and the Slovaks are already counted in:-))

Phil
02-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Am I the only one thinking Cyprus?

Probably. Obviously you haven't done your homework, @wright. It will be Trinadad and Tobago. It's new logo: T n' T: "The Power of Two Nations, Wrapped into One".

arosen
02-21-2005, 06:34 PM
China will eventually rule, just look at the sheer numbers, 3 billion people or some such, how's that for a tennis talent breeding ground.

goober
02-21-2005, 06:46 PM
China will eventually rule, just look at the sheer numbers, 3 billion people or some such, how's that for a tennis talent breeding ground.

With that kind of logic China should rule in every sport yet they don't.

Phil
02-21-2005, 07:29 PM

1.3 billion, 3 billion...doesn't make much of a difference with this guy...

The Pusher Terminator
02-22-2005, 12:30 AM
USA will always be the best. The only difference is that it looks like the future best American mens players will be black. In fact with France's Monfils and the up and coming black stars in the USA...you could have the top three mens players being all black.

ShooterMcMarco
02-22-2005, 01:25 AM
china. i forget where I heard it, but supposively they made the largest tennis facility in the world. plus, chinese are really good at all the other racquet sports :p

Camilio Pascual
02-22-2005, 04:23 AM

Maybe, it can't hurt to have a talent pool of 1.2 billion people. But, look at the NBA in this country. Black people are in a minority in this country and black males are shorter, on average, than white males. It doesn't stop virtually absolute domination in basketball and a large over representation in baseball and football. The quality of the programs to develop tennis players will be a much larger determining factor.

Looks like nobody on this board has the names of the Chinese women who are likely to make China a tennis power within 5 years?

Zverev
02-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Probably, China will be next tennis nation,
and every tennis player in the world will be made in China
like every tennis shoe is now.

Recent Russian success is not sustainable, and here are the facts:

- there are just 2000 tennis courts in Russia, though big improvement from just 200 about 10 years ago
- most (if not all) Russian tennis players are from Moscow and some from St.Petersburg, where those tennis courts are, the rest of the country has probably never seen a tennis court, thus talent pool is very small - just one city
- the court fee is $70-$100 per hour, only very rich kids can afford,
so the masses are effectively barred from tennis.
The situation got even worse now, when tennis became popular,
so talent often doesn't have money to get there
- tennis can be played outdoor in Russia at most just 3-4 months a year,
the rest is winter

So, here to summarise future Russian tennis prospects:

Bunch of rich kids playing tennis in Moscow during 4 months a year.