PDA

View Full Version : prices go up in 2009

kashgotmoney
01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
i noticed a few strings like luxilon alu power went up in price. im guessin the reason why is because it got voted top poly in some catagories in the survey

kashgotmoney
01-07-2009, 10:45 PM
also all the wilson multifilament and natural gut went up... wilson natural gut is 42 dollars, nxt is 16 now and some other strings from other brands

raygo
01-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Could it have something to do with the declining value of the dollar vs the Euro? I'm pretty sure all those products are made in Europe.

PROTENNIS63
01-08-2009, 04:36 AM
But the dollar has gotten stronger compared to the summer. I think it is just the companies getting greedy.

The_Question
01-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Most of all Wilson strings are made in Japan. I don't know about their natural gut.

Luxlion is made in Belgium...

mrmo1115
01-08-2009, 07:20 AM
i noticed a few strings like luxilon alu power went up in price. im guessin the reason why is because it got voted top poly in some catagories in the survey

Not sure that is the complete reason though.. maybe the economy?

DonBot
01-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Wilson gut at $42? I bought an entire reel of Big Ace for 80 bucks, and it will last way longer than a set of gut I would snap in a week.

DonBot
01-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Not sure that is the complete reason though.. maybe the economy?

Well that and greed!

nadal for number1
01-09-2009, 07:43 AM
man this sucks we have to pay more for strings now!

Bad Dog
01-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Most of all Wilson strings are made in Japan. I don't know about their natural gut.

On the packages, Wilson's natural gut and K-Gut as well as K-Gut Pro strings say made in France. But those are their top of the line strings (in terms of gut and multifilaments); I don't know about their others. :)

JavierLW
01-09-2009, 08:32 AM
But the dollar has gotten stronger compared to the summer. I think it is just the companies getting greedy.

Give me a break with the greed stuff. It's greedy to want something that you cant afford and expect that someone give it to you for cheaper. (or free)

Companys are in business to make money, accept it, it's not a charity.

The real question is whether this price increase will result in greater profit for them at all given the current economy. If sales do not go down more than the price increase percentage then they will still make extra money which might save their stock from melting down as much relative to everyone else which means they have more capitol to continue to do business with.

If sales go down more, then the price increase is a failure and they will actually lose money. Which will happen if other companys dont follow suit, especially in the case of Wilson Natural Gut since it's really pretty much Babolat VS anyway.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like seeing the prices go up either obviously, but in these economic times, Im tired of seeing people blame any price increase on "greed", that's just silly. (usually the ones saying that are just as greedy as the ones they are blaming)

If prices go up enough to some point that I cant afford it, Im just going to buy cheaper string and deal with it. Id love to use the best products possible, but Id also love to drive around in a Roll Royce, and live in a 10 million dollar mansion, that's just the way it goes....

000KFACTOR90000
01-09-2009, 09:05 AM
i think its also to make sure they maintain the highest price string, suggesting to consumers they have the best quality string.

DonBot
01-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Give me a break with the greed stuff. It's greedy to want something that you cant afford and expect that someone give it to you for cheaper. (or free)

Companys are in business to make money, accept it, it's not a charity.

The real question is whether this price increase will result in greater profit for them at all given the current economy. If sales do not go down more than the price increase percentage then they will still make extra money which might save their stock from melting down as much relative to everyone else which means they have more capitol to continue to do business with.

If sales go down more, then the price increase is a failure and they will actually lose money. Which will happen if other companys dont follow suit, especially in the case of Wilson Natural Gut since it's really pretty much Babolat VS anyway.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like seeing the prices go up either obviously, but in these economic times, Im tired of seeing people blame any price increase on "greed", that's just silly. (usually the ones saying that are just as greedy as the ones they are blaming)

If prices go up enough to some point that I cant afford it, Im just going to buy cheaper string and deal with it. Id love to use the best products possible, but Id also love to drive around in a Roll Royce, and live in a 10 million dollar mansion, that's just the way it goes....

Well the reality is supply and demand, no one is going to pay $42.00 for natural gut, so there sales will plummit, (actually that is not true I am sure there marketing can predict how many sets they will sell at that price point etc) but with the economy being what it is I think it makes very little business sense to think you are going to sell a ton of natural gut at $42.00 a pop. I think their motivation is greed-wanting more than what you need- which is what our economy is based on. Greed really is not a bad thing, you try and demonize it, the reality is it keeps the free world running, in the words of Mr. Gecko Greed is good.--but hey my point is it is still Greed.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
PSgd is 4.25 now but thats worth it.

Lefty5
01-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Luxlion is made in Belgium...

And the Belgians get it from China. Don't kid yourself.

JavierLW
01-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Well the reality is supply and demand, no one is going to pay $42.00 for natural gut, so there sales will plummit, (actually that is not true I am sure there marketing can predict how many sets they will sell at that price point etc) but with the economy being what it is I think it makes very little business sense to think you are going to sell a ton of natural gut at $42.00 a pop. I think their motivation is greed-wanting more than what you need- which is what our economy is based on. Greed really is not a bad thing, you try and demonize it, the reality is it keeps the free world running, in the words of Mr. Gecko Greed is good.--but hey my point is it is still Greed.

Sure I guess I can agree with you there. If you can agree that the people who are crying about the greed are even more greedy. (it's not like they are paying $42 for a glass of water, or toilet paper, or any other essential item, no they want the best product out there and they expect someone to give it to them for cheaper when really it does not belong to them)

I was thinking the same thing you did about whether it's smart for them to raise the price or not. I guess we will see.

In the case of Wilson Natural Gut, I think the only reason anyone buys that at all is if they are affiliated with some sort of endorsement, or if the person who provides tennis equipment to them is in an endorsement. (ie... like the teaching pro who will only sell Wilson products to the kids in his lessons because he gets money from Wilson to do so, otherwise they could of just bought VS and they wouldnt of lost anything)

Whether that holds up or not with the increased price is unknown, but I see these people on a weekly basis and most of the parents in this situation are doctors, lawyers, etc... $7 extra dollars isnt really going to phase them.

And if that's the case it's a good reason why they can get away with charging more than Babolat (for that particular product at least).

If a product depends more on retail sales then I think it's a mistake for it to go up too high, but Natural Gut isnt huge in that market anyway.

But I think there is a definate sticker shock to anything that starts getting close to $50 (which some of the multi's might even appear as after the store puts in the builtin stringing cost).

If a business is not making money, they will go out of business, that's the only reason they have to even bother to produce a product. So in a way making more money is about staying in business (these days especially).

Then that $42 string that people complain they cant afford that they want so badly will not be available anywhere. Look at any company that produced something worthwhile but went out of business...has anyone ever heard of Amiga computers?

kashgotmoney
01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
babolat natural gut is still 35 and its better so wilson defiately lost some money there

davidahenry
01-09-2009, 02:57 PM
And the Belgians get it from China. Don't kid yourself.

I am pretty sure Lux has their own manufacturing facility in Belgium. They may buy raw materials from China, but they make the strings in Belgium.

Take care.

DH