PDA

View Full Version : my serve, tips and advice please

dcjaybutchdc
01-07-2009, 10:29 PM
here is a long video of my serve. a whole basket i think but u dont have to watch the whole thing. seems like cosistency is a problem and other nicknacks.

ps. sorry for the music, i didnt edit this. its a cool song though
http://vimeo.com/2502544

GeorgeLucas
01-07-2009, 10:32 PM
dude that serve is SO METAL

Ambivalent
01-07-2009, 11:33 PM
What's with your other videos

I lol'd.

Element54
01-08-2009, 01:04 PM
ouch on the music

Noaler
01-08-2009, 01:09 PM
is that ur 2nd or 1st serve? Or both?

fps
01-08-2009, 01:17 PM
there are better qualified people to go into more detail here, but first thing is your ball toss is sometimes wayward and generally quite low. towards the end you hit a few into the net because by the time you swing the ball has fallen too far.

LeeD
01-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Very nice motion all around.
I guess you were serving slightly sidespun FIRST serves, hence all the out balls.
Only suggestion is to decide ahead of time whether to hit first or second serves.
For first, generally swing faster, that slight side is not bad, but maybe toss the ball over your head more for a topped fast moving ball.
If it's a second serve, it's horrible, going in hardly ever.
Inconsistency maybe not enough practice, but your service setup is changing from one to another, so no consistency.
GREAT angle on cam, and clarity.
Make sure your ready position is exactly the same, take a moment, THEN start your motion.
But good overall, just gotta hit lots more balls to get the first more consistent and then work on a more spun, slower moving second serve.

oneguy21
01-08-2009, 01:45 PM
You need better leg drive. Bend those knees and then use them like a spring to explode into the ball.

PopWar
01-08-2009, 01:58 PM
On some serves, your toss was badly placed, and it's forcing you to compensate during the swing

LeeD
01-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I suspect the original poster, #1, doesn't have the consistency right now to add more swingspeed or leg drive into his serves.
So basically, more practice !!

oneguy21
01-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I suspect the original poster, #1, doesn't have the consistency right now to add more swingspeed or leg drive into his serves.
So basically, more practice !!

One needs to be consistent while having good leg drive, so I find it perfectly acceptable for him to start using those legs a lot more.

Solat
01-08-2009, 06:11 PM
you need to work on your trophy position, in particular your shoulder angle and hip position. Take a look at Safin as an example of how pronounced these items need to be. It will help you get a better drive up at the ball and allow for shoulder over shoulder rotation which should help to juice up your serve.

LeeD
01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Safin yes...
Then again, lots of tall guys who serve just fine have very little knee bend or torso rotation, and it works just fine for them.
Adding too many parts too early MIGHT be a tough puzzle to solve.
He hasn't played long enough to warrant a complicated full service motion.

BullDogTennis
01-08-2009, 06:17 PM
toss the ball a bit higher. what song is it?

dcjaybutchdc
01-08-2009, 08:06 PM
toss the ball a bit higher. what song is it?
reloaded by winds of plague

EPaps
01-09-2009, 08:50 PM
looks good, keep it up

quicken
01-10-2009, 12:40 AM
What the hell is wrong with the music.

You need to jump into the court more, after your serve your left foot should be well over the baseline. Also try to use that leg more.

phoenicks
01-10-2009, 03:31 AM
wow, the screaming music is too gruesome to my ear !!!

Solat pretty much cover it all, and to add on, you need to have a deeper knee bend and lean back more in your trophy position, which is what Solat want you to do since it's part of the trophy post, it will help you involved more of your leg and core muscles into your serve.

About the leaning back more in your trophy post, Will from FYB explain it pretty clear here,
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HgeYmEScfgQ

caweran
01-11-2009, 05:52 AM
If this is the first serve then you should:

Toss the ball little bit higher and forward so you can move your body weight more forward = transfer more power to the ball. The result is your left feet will land inside the court...

Your serve looks good for a second serve....

my 2 cents, hope it helps

itisgregory
01-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Overall, nice serve motion. I would recommend putting slightly more power into it by moving forward into the court with your body. Your feet are finishing on or near the baseline. Because you hit deep you will need to impart more topspin by hitting up and over on the ball AND snapping your wrist, otherwise the balls will sail long.

MTXR
01-11-2009, 11:48 AM
that's a nice court, where is that?