PDA

View Full Version : WTA needs bail out...how can the WTA be saved?

SoCal10s
01-08-2009, 12:48 AM
WTA needs bail out... because it will go broke soon if they keep giving us a crap product that no one wants to buy(watch)... it's already happening in golf because Tiger is a no-show from is injury... golf has cancelled some tournaments and sponsors are pulling out because of the economic situation..and the WTA has a far worse product than a Tiger-less golf..
how can the WTA be saved?

veroniquem
01-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Since Justine retired, wta tennis has been so uninspiring, they need a real star, a prodigy. Right now I don't see any.

MarrratSafin
01-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Oh I still watch WTA sometimes. But only when Sharapova or Dementieva are playing, cos they are pretty and hit powerful groundstrokes.:) Other than that I find it boring... & Ana Ivanovic is awful.

cknobman
01-08-2009, 06:41 AM
My list of improvements:

Reduce number of tourneys but enforce participation in those that remain.
Start penalizing screeching, yelling, moaning during points
Stop allowing bullshizer injury timeouts
Get some real players other than the Williams sisters

yemenmocha
01-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Even the Williams matches are not worth tuning in for any longer.

Also the lack of a top S&V player makes Women's Tennis very boring.

Bring back Martina!

obnoxious2
01-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Too bad Martina has coke issues. Not to mention she's banned for another year or so.

She had the game to watch and the pretty face to keep watching

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Also the lack of a top S&V player makes Women's Tennis very boring.

I say the same thing about men's tennis.

albino smurf
01-08-2009, 09:56 AM
They need to market the sport of it and not the sexiness of the athletes. WOmen are not going to watch in large numbers to see some hottie. They will get behind an empowering female sport however. The sexiness marketing only appeals to men, and men won't une in enough to make it worthwhile.

Feņa14
01-08-2009, 10:08 AM
The thing is with womens tennis, it's just not that great a sport. When you see the men playing lights out, why would anyone really want to watch a pale imitation?

marc tressard
01-09-2009, 06:18 AM
Yes, it is a pity! Tennis, both the WTA AND ATP, is not that healthy (other than the Slam quartet) despite more prize money. Sadly, the so-called Tennis Channel has failed miserably to establish any beachhead. On many levels this network has been embarrassing.

Without a TV audience, what chance does the game have irrespecitve of the quality of the product? Few of us can ever see top 200 pros in the flesh either. Tennis is poorly run as a business in my view and in the view of many I talk with. We shake our heads. As for the on court quality, well, this ebbs and flows like the tide. Slower courts are a good idea, but as soem have noted there is a somewhat drab cast of characters, especially inthe WTA. As a long suffering fan, I am offended by the Williams sisters cavalier approach to the sport.

Still, I does annoy me that many fans like to traduce the WTA. Yes, the play is drab at times, but this will self correct. The bigger issue is whether or not anyone will be around to notice. ESPN2 and the big networks and mass media have already said sayonara to the non slams.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
01-09-2009, 01:21 PM
I think the FTOG* and Big Bird-11 need to devote more time to other aspects of their lives, and less on tennis.

*Fat Tub Of Goo

JankovicFan
01-09-2009, 02:08 PM
The thing is with womens tennis, it's just not that great a sport. When you see the men playing lights out, why would anyone really want to watch a pale imitation?

It should be brains over brawn, a finesse game. Instead, women that play like men have ruined the sport and displaced some fine athletes that are too petite, or simply feminine, to be competitive in the pros. Some of our doubles queens demonstrate the point.

Jankovic finding the need to spend the off season bulking up that beautiful racehorse body was a sad commentary about the direction in which the sport has moved. Henin tiring of the extreme effort required to stay competitive against much bigger women was another case in point.

Racer41c
01-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Well I for one love womens tennis. There is one point of view I agree with and one I don't. The one I don't is the marketing/dolled up chick athlete is not worth watch is bunk. If that were the case there'd be even fewer watchers than there are now.

The pov I do agree with is watching defense against defense leads to every point being the same. The only interest becomes the score.

What I don't know is how to fix it.

babbette
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
the return of Kournikova is the key. A few upskirtss during points will revive wta interest.

kungfusmkim
01-09-2009, 05:06 PM
I actually like the womens field right now. Its too obvious when there is a one dominant player then you know they are going to be in atleast most of the finals in most tournaments. I like the mystery. Like no body expected that Safina would come up that ranking ladder or that Ivanovic is a train wreck. maybe this period will give viewers time to see the rising stars and find the best one of the bunch. Viewers never got to watch players grow. You watch pete sampras because his the best and after he retires you watch agassi. Then after he retires you watch federer. Not alot of people paid attention to them until they became huge money drawing players.

El Guapo
01-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Correct. The WTA and the WNBA can both disappear and not many could care.

Promoting the WTA via sexiness obviously won't work because of the way that they look. No one's going to buy that.

mrDamien
01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Bring Sharapova back into tournament. She's definitely the right angel to safe the WTA world.

ispaht
01-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Lift Hingis' ban! And force Justine to un-retire!

halalula1234
01-11-2009, 03:10 AM
wta is a little boring i agree. but some players with a certain style/characteristics are still fun to watch.

I find ivanovic and safina sooo boring to watch she just wacks and bashes the ball and her strokes looks ugly and they dont even have the foot speed/work.

Amelie mauresmo is the closest to justine henin style of play right now and it find her entertaining except her face makes my eyes water. the Williams are still not bad to watch they seem to be the only women in the top 10 who still have strong net play and still serve and volley on some points. I find Dementieva interesting cus she hits the ball so hard and sometimes very very flat and that is so satisfying.

Warriorroger
01-11-2009, 03:19 AM
We await the arrival of Steffi Graf's daughter..

sureshs
01-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I am available for coaching them free of charge.

HydroYang
01-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh I still watch WTA sometimes. But only when Sharapova or Dementieva are playing, cos they are pretty and hit powerful groundstrokes.:) Other than that I find it boring... & Ana Ivanovic is awful.

Ana is just struggling right now, just like all players do sometime in their career.
She won the FO and has been to 2 other GS finals, Thats better than Dementieva.