PDA

View Full Version : Am I Handicapping Myself Using Multi?

fps
01-08-2009, 06:08 AM
I don't play at a high level but it is annoying to think someone else may have an advantage over me simply because of their string. I use Yonex Super 850 Tour Pro yaddayadda (it's got Feel at the top) 16 and it broke today. I like it but it isn't cheap here. In the UK I think we are completely ripped off on strings, and I don't want to buy a 200m reel of something til I've tried a few. Anyway. I hear poly loses tension quicker than multi (?) and I'd rather pop one than lose performance superfast. Am i right in that generalisation?

Is my fear of an uneven playing field ungrounded?

dexian
01-08-2009, 07:45 AM
The strings won't handicap you.
They can give you an advantage if you have the technique to bring out the best of them.

What don't you like in the string you're currently using?
Do you feel you're lacking control or spin?

01-08-2009, 07:59 AM
I live in the UK and have a few strings for sale. Email me if interested, Polya - Pro Supex Big Ace, Topspin Cyber Flash and many more

NickC
01-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Strings won't make a difference in your case. Multis are quite good, Novak used them for a few seasons and did pretty damn well, I think. I think it was a full job of nrg2. Or maybe it was X-1 Biphase. Either or, a high end multi is a great string, if you use string savers and don't string too tight, you're golden.

Okazaki Fragment
01-08-2009, 08:34 AM
I don't play at a high level but it is annoying to think someone else may have an advantage over me simply because of their string. I use Yonex Super 850 Tour Pro yaddayadda (it's got Feel at the top) 16 and it broke today. I like it but it isn't cheap here. In the UK I think we are completely ripped off on strings, and I don't want to buy a 200m reel of something til I've tried a few. Anyway. I hear poly loses tension quicker than multi (?) and I'd rather pop one than lose performance superfast. Am i right in that generalisation?

Try different strings. For me, the slickness of a multi called Isopro 17 made me lose my slice and return blocking. BigAce is really worth a try if you are going to go the poly route. I don't think that BA loses tension that much quicker than a multi.

Valjean
01-08-2009, 08:48 AM
....Anyway. I hear poly loses tension quicker than multi (?) and I'd rather pop one than lose performance superfast. Am i right in that generalisation?....
Look at these figures and see if you can tell: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

hoodjem
01-08-2009, 08:49 AM

I would think that with careful choice after research, you could create a poly hybrid with the Yonex Super 850 Tour Pro that will have just about as much feel (and will retain any other positive characteristics), but with much greater durability.

fps
01-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Look at these figures and see if you can tell: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

wow amazing thanks for the link.

1012007- topspin cyberflash interests me but on this occasion i'll pass, thanks anyway.

i'm gonna get me some string savers and stick those in the problem area, because (dexian) i do like the string and feel i play fine with it, and would rather make this minor adjustment than throw myself into this nightmarish world of endless string changes and *what if?*s.

01-08-2009, 09:34 AM
fps - does any gosen micro 1.30 interest you? :)

jevonclyde
01-10-2009, 10:39 AM

Great link! Very handy.