PDA

View Full Version : Who would win: Bruce Lee or Jet Li?

drunkhnmunky
02-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Me and my friend disagree about this. My friend thinks that Jet Li would win hands down. Personally, I think Bruce Lee cannot be stopped by anybody. Bruce Lee said the only person that could beat him is Muhammad Ali because he might be faster.

USCfan
02-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Definitely Bruce Lee, but that would be amazing to watch.

Rickson
02-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Both would easily be beaten by Rickson Gracie. When Bruce was alive, he had limited ground fighting experience and Jet Li doesn't practice ground fighting which would be his demise. Rickson Gracie is a world class submission grappler and striker as well.

raftermania
02-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Anybody catch Ong-bak with Tony Jaa??? Yikes, that guy's got elbows and knees of steel.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-21-2005, 01:30 PM
I really never heard about Jet Lee, sorry. But about Bruce Lee, of course. So no opinion about their kumite. I personally was very interested in Karate school Shotokan and dedicated to it 5 years when I was 13-17 years old. I knew all Heiyan katas, plus 3 Tekki katas, and some Super katas.

My opinion is that neither karate, no kung-fu don't respond to complete fighting system demands. Brasilian version of Japanese Jiu-jitsu is more real, looks less as dancing and is more practical. If you watched first Free fighting championships you probably see Hoyce Gracie ?

The same kind efficiency I observed in SAMBO ( Russian police used it).

And of course it was a joke about Ali. Boxers couldn't do anything against say Hoyce Gracie, they may succeed only in very close fighting, say in lift or another restricted area.

Datacipher
02-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Me and my friend disagree about this. My friend thinks that Jet Li would win hands down. Personally, I think Bruce Lee cannot be stopped by anybody. Bruce Lee said the only person that could beat him is Muhammad Ali because he might be faster.

Actually I saw a quote from Bruce saying that he thought he was faster than Ali. Bruce was wise however, in that he respected the professional boxers. Pro boxers are elite athletes/punching machines....just like with pro tennis, the average person has no idea what kind of capabilities these guys have. It's funny the scam/reputation that mixed martial artists have pulled.... I happen to be a martial arts practicioner and fan....but having said that....kickboxers, Pride and UFC fighters are 3rd rate boxers....

A Roy Jones would absolutely destroy the mixed martial artists in striking...while a Kurt Angle would massacre them on the ground....it's like a high school decathalete vs an olympic champion.....

Saito
02-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Bruce Lee...... enough said :D .

deluxe
02-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Actually I saw a quote from Bruce saying that he thought he was faster than Ali. Bruce was wise however, in that he respected the professional boxers. Pro boxers are elite athletes/punching machines....just like with pro tennis, the average person has no idea what kind of capabilities these guys have. It's funny the scam/reputation that mixed martial artists have pulled.... I happen to be a martial arts practicioner and fan....but having said that....kickboxers, Pride and UFC fighters are 3rd rate boxers....

A Roy Jones would absolutely destroy the mixed martial artists in striking...while a Kurt Angle would massacre them on the ground....it's like a high school decathalete vs an olympic champion.....

Sure. If you put a top MMA guy against a Roy Jones with boxing rules, the boxer wins. If you put Kurt Angle against a top MMA guy with wrestling rules, Angle wins. If you put a top MMA guy against Agassi with tennis rules, Agassi wins. It's obvious.

But a top MMA guy against a Roy Jones, Kurt Angle or Agassi at fighting , then they would all get creamed. Time after time after time.

You might think that the MMA guys are 3rd rate boxers, and they probably are with boxing rules, but in a fight, the MMA guy would have a good chance of beating the boxer with punches. Reasons: 1) You can't stand as side on as boxers do because you can't sprawl against a takedown attempt, and your lead leg is a sitting duck for a thai kick. 2) Boxers are used to large, heavy gloves, wheras MMA guys are used to small, light gloves. That really affects the style of the boxing, and as you'd expect, the MMA style is closer to reality.

To call MMA schools a scam must be disingenuous. MMA schools teach unarmed fighting, and at the same time say if you really want to defend yourself, get a gun and learn to shoot. The real scam is all those martial arts that teach very limited rulesets, or practice no contact, and at the same time let people think that they are learning how to defend themselves.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-21-2005, 02:28 PM
In UFC events ( I watched first 13-14, after gave up) there were both so called martial artists as well as very great athletes in their disciplines,e.i. professionals.

Say the same Hoyce Gracie ( sometimes was pronounced as Royce) was ( and is) jiu-jitsu professional same as Ali in box or Fed in tennis, practising from 5-6 ages. There was big wrestler Coleman or say Oleg Taktarov - world champion in SAMBO, athlete not like Tank Abbot but professional of SAMBO ( similar to judo).

Datacipher
02-21-2005, 02:31 PM
But a top MMA guy against a Roy Jones, Kurt Angle or Agassi at fighting , then they would all get creamed. Time after time after time.

I disagree. Under MMA rules, Roy Jones is even money, Kurt Angle will win....Agassi.....um...well I love the guy...but....

Quite honestly, I view MMA athletes as great athletes but 2nd tier compared to the Jones, Angle or even Agassi. Their backgrounds tend to be...was a champion kickboxer....was a decent wrestler....has some martial arts titles...top athletes no doubt, but not the best in the world...the other athletes may not have the training and skills to fight under mma rules...but they bring an innate athletic genetic pedigree to the table that mma fighters have never faced. Heck, even bar room tough guys with fake martial arts credentials have been champions in MMA.

No way to prove this though either way....

deluxe
02-21-2005, 02:32 PM
while a Kurt Angle would massacre them on the ground....

And likewise, Angle would lose easily on the ground to the top MMA guys unless it was under wrestling rules. In wrestling you get points for a throw and you win by pinning the other guys shoulders. Angle would have a good chance of having a better throw or takedown, and hence landing in a better position, but once there, there are whole categories of things that can happen that are banned in wrestling, and which the MMA guy would have practiced every day for years. And pinning the other guys shoulders isn't going to get him a win in a real fight.

deluxe
02-21-2005, 02:54 PM
I disagree. Under MMA rules, Roy Jones is even money, Kurt Angle will win....Agassi.....um...well I love the guy...but....

Quite honestly, I view MMA athletes as great athletes but 2nd tier compared to the Jones, Angle or even Agassi. Their backgrounds tend to be...was a champion kickboxer....was a decent wrestler....has some martial arts titles...top athletes no doubt, but not the best in the world...

There is no doubt that boxing and wrestling (and judo) have much large talent pools than MMA, and as a consequence have better athletes at the top, but it's what you train that makes the difference. And you do get top boxers and wrestlers coming accross to MMA. Randy Couture was 6th in the world at greco-roman wrestling.

the other athletes may not have the training and skills to fight under mma rules...but they bring an innate athletic genetic pedigree to the table that mma fighters have never faced.

Most of the top MMA guys are massive roiders. The boxers and (non WWE) wrestlers only have their innate athletic genetic pedigree.

Heck, even bar room tough guys with fake martial arts credentials have been champions in MMA.

LOL. Tank Abbot was a champion wrestler before MMA. Can you cite any "bar room tough guys with fake martial arts credentials" that have been MMA champions in the last 5 years?

No way to prove this though either way....

Sure there is. It's been done. There have been some great boxers who have fought in MMA:

James Warring, former cruiser weight world champion weighed in at 218.
He fought Renzo Gracie who was 170.
Renzo by neckccrank 1 minutes of the first round.

Former heaveyweight champion Trevor Berbick vs Nobihiko Takada.
Takada by TKO, berbick quits after being legkicked a couple times.

Datacipher
02-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Most of the top MMA guys are massive roiders. The boxers and (non WWE) wrestlers only have their innate athletic genetic pedigree.

Actually, boxing and wrestling also suffers from massive steroid abuse.

LOL. Tank Abbot was a champion wrestler before MMA. Can you cite any "bar room tough guys with fake martial arts credentials" that have been MMA champions in the last 5 years?.

I never mentioned Tank ABBOTT in my post. You need to read more closely. You say Abbott was a champion wrestler? What was he champion of? At what level, high school? LOL

Actually the worst of the no skill, non athletic fighters with fake credentials I ever saw was Harold Howard. Who defeated Royce Gracie among others. He was an embarrassment. When I saw him fight, I was sure it was my drunk uncle Bill at the family barbecue. The funniest part was when they tried to show clips of him demonstating his martial arts skills. Anyone who has to take 3 small baby steps while "spinning" around to execute a kick is indeed a master.

Sure there is. It's been done. There have been some great boxers who have fought in MMA:

James Warring, former cruiser weight world champion weighed in at 218.
He fought Renzo Gracie who was 170.
Renzo by neckccrank 1 minutes of the first round.

Former heaveyweight champion Trevor Berbick vs Nobihiko Takada.
Takada by TKO, berbick quits after being legkicked a couple times.

This doesn't prove, that MMA fighters are comparable athletes. In fact it's not even compelling considering the examples! Warring! ROFL. This guy was 2nd class in boxing and everyone knew it, he managed to eke out a belt in the weakest division against poor opponents. He was a frustrated football player before who tried to play in the CFL and he was OLD when he finally went into MMA, and still won 2 of 3 fights!

deluxe
02-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Actually, boxing and wrestling also suffers from massive steroid abuse.

Not comparable. At the top of boxing and wrestling (non WWE) there are random testing reigemes and lengthy bans for being caught. In MMA, there isn't, and there aren't.

I never mentioned Tank ABBOTT in my post. You need to read more closely. You say Abbott was a champion wrestler? What was he champion of? At what level, high school? LOL

He was state champion at high school. When he was doing MMA he benched 600 pounds.

Actually the worst of the no skill, non athletic fighters with fake credentials I ever saw was Harold Howard. Who defeated Royce Gracie among others. He was an embarrassment.

ROFLMAO. UFC 3, but Howard was never a MMA champion. He didn't actually fight Royce. Royce retired from the tournament, and Howard won by forfeit with no punches thrown.

Howard vs Royce (http://www.mmareview.com/review-ufc3-harold_howard-royce_gracie.htm)

This doesn't prove, that MMA fighters are comparable athletes.

Who are the better athletes is irrelevant. The thread is about fighting. You might as well ask who are the better tennis players.

In any case, how exactly would you prove the reverse?

In fact it's not even compelling considering the examples! Warring! ROFL. This guy was 2nd class in boxing and everyone knew it, he managed to eke out a belt in the weakest division against poor opponents. He was a frustrated football player before who tried to play in the CFL and he was OLD when he finally went into MMA, and still won 2 of 3 fights!

He was a world champion. When he fought a much smaller world class MMA guy, he got creamed. Just like Berbick did.

VashTheStampede
02-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Anybody catch Ong-bak with Tony Jaa??? Yikes, that guy's got elbows and knees of steel.

GREAT MOVIE!!! I loved it. Very action-packed and Tony Jaa is amazing. Whether who would win between Jet Li or Bruce Lee, I'm uncertain. I enjoy watching them both. I highly disagree about boxers being superior to martial artists. When you put them in a fight, the only thing a boxer would be able to do is punch, while let's say a 7th Dan Black Belt in Taekwondo can pretty much use anything-punch, kick, grapple, nunchakus, etc.

Datacipher
02-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Well, I agree with some of what you've said Deluxe.

I will say this though....the part about testing at the top of boxing and wrestling is a joke! We know top boxers have used...there have been serveral positive test that have been swept under the rug...inlcuding Jones...who we also know was linked to the Balco scandal.

Datacipher
02-21-2005, 05:19 PM
GREAT MOVIE!!! I loved it. Very action-packed and Tony Jaa is amazing. Whether who would win between Jet Li or Bruce Lee, I'm uncertain. I enjoy watching them both. I highly disagree about boxers being superior to martial artists. When you put them in a fight, the only thing a boxer would be able to do is punch, while let's say a 7th Dan Black Belt in Taekwondo can pretty much use anything-punch, kick, grapple, nunchakus, etc.

Yikes. My first black belt was in Tae Kwon Do. I love it...it was my first MA...honestly....it's practicality on the street is close to zero. I'd take a world class boxer any day in a real fight.

raftermania
02-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Vash, you've got the coolest signatures, keep it up... And yes I'm afraid to face you already.

atatu
02-22-2005, 02:34 PM
I don't really know anything about martial arts or boxing, but I watched that UFC reality show on Spike last night and I was really happy to see that punk Chris lose to the wrestler guy, Josh. I always thought that martial arts taught respect for your opponents, but this guy was talking about how he wanted to cripple his opponent. Pretty disgusting.

tennisplayer
02-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Don't know whether Bruce Lee or Jet Li would win, but Christopher Lee would sure suck the blood out of both of them!

Stuck
02-25-2005, 07:28 PM
Are you kidding me.........Bruce would win over anyone. The guys these days are chumps. Bruce Lee was unlike no other! He sure f'ed up Chuck Norris a few times and I have heard Norris say that Lee would win over anyone.

Shaolin
02-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Bruce would win 7-6 (4), 6-0

ibemadskillzz
02-25-2005, 07:59 PM
bruce lee was a hard working guy, he is ripped as anything, jet li has no muscles and he doesn't have much skills compared to bruce.

Kobble
02-26-2005, 10:22 AM
If you know anyhting about Bruce, you would say Bruce. He invented is own martial art, and people accepted it. My money would be on Bruce Lee.

skittles
02-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Bruce or Jet? how bout Jacky Chan! put sum comedy into this haha i love Jacky Chan's movies!!! dt guy is funny!

VashTheStampede
02-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Yikes. My first black belt was in Tae Kwon Do. I love it...it was my first MA...honestly....it's practicality on the street is close to zero. I'd take a world class boxer any day in a real fight.

Junsado is very good on the street. It teaches what to do if you get mugged in any situation. Jackie's good too but he hasn't been doing many "non-stop action" movies in a while, at least not ones that were released in the US. Most martial arts movies that come out in Asia seem better than the ones that are made in here in the states.

ShooterMcMarco
02-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Bruce or Jet? how bout Jacky Chan! put sum comedy into this haha i love Jacky Chan's movies!!! dt guy is funny!

bruce lee broke one of jackie chan's bones (a rib?) when he was a stuntman in one of his movies. as much as i love jackie chan, bruce will own him easy. bruce was a pure bred fighter. it was all he studied, and it was pretty much all he did if he wasn't shooting a film

skittles
02-28-2005, 10:13 PM
bruce lee broke one of jackie chan's bones (a rib?) when he was a stuntman in one of his movies. as much as i love jackie chan, bruce will own him easy. bruce was a pure bred fighter. it was all he studied, and it was pretty much all he did if he wasn't shooting a film

True... although i never stated that Jacky Chan would win... so yah... i just said dt id prefer so see him than iether of those guys because its more viewer friendly and he makes you laugh... I say Bruce Lee between Jet and him though...

raftermania
02-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Well just for the record... I could defeat any one of the aforementioned guys in a fight... if I had a gun

ShooterMcMarco
02-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Well just for the record... I could defeat any one of the aforementioned guys in a fight... if I had a gun

in addition, if you had your PPu and advanced cranial design (a la fed), you would be able to predict their every move and beat them up with one hand tied behind your back.

raftermania
02-28-2005, 10:51 PM
touche mcmarco

that's quite the candid shot of fed in your avatar it always gives me a chuckle when I see it, do you know when it was taken??? It looks like he is receiving serve, but whose serve??? hehe I'm going to save it to my computer.

ShooterMcMarco
03-01-2005, 12:02 AM
touche mcmarco

that's quite the candid shot of fed in your avatar it always gives me a chuckle when I see it, do you know when it was taken??? It looks like he is receiving serve, but whose serve??? hehe I'm going to save it to my computer.

excuse the hijack.

but that was from a match against henman (which he won handily). yeah its a funny pic. it was taken jan 14. go to the link below for the full size image.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/shootermcmarco/funnyfederer.jpg
heres the original thread http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=38081

raftermania
03-01-2005, 12:15 AM
boooo, the yahoo! link is dead! Shooter or anyone else still have this picture?

Thx,

ShooterMcMarco
03-01-2005, 10:54 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1...unnyfederer.jpg

it was in the post above as well ;)

raftermania
03-01-2005, 02:00 PM
I overlook the first link, but the new one you supplied doesn't work.

I got it thx shooter