PDA

View Full Version : No more estrogen in our water!

max
01-08-2009, 11:51 AM
. . . we cancel out some many other impurities, estrogen has to go as well. Strongly detrimental biological impacts. Junk water affects you even if you're not Catholic! :)
---------------------------------------------------

Medical Expert Says that Contraceptive Pill is Causing Global Rise in Male Infertility

By Matthew Cullinan Hoffman

VATICAN CITY, January 7, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - An eminent doctor writing for the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano has stated that hormones from the contraceptive pill are causing a significant rise in male infertility in western nations.

Pedro Jose Maria Simon Castellvi, President of the International Federation of Catholic Medical Associations (FIAMC), writes that "we have sufficient data to affirm that one of the reasons for the not insignificant rise in male infertility in the west (due to increasingly fewer sperm in men), is the environmental contamination caused by 'the pill'."

"We are confronted with a clear anti-ecological effect that demands further explanation from the manufacturers," continued Castellvi, who also noted that the abortifacient and carcinogenic effects of the contraceptive pill are also well known (see LifeSiteNews coverage at http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jan/09010504.html).

Castellvi's statements echo similar utterances made by numerous other medical and scientific experts since 2004. Female hormones from birth control pills, which enter the water supply through urination, are being blamed for declining sperm counts in human and animal populations, the growth of female sex organs in male fish, breast growth in young men, and early onset of puberty in young girls.

In September of last year, a scientist at the University of Montreal's Department of Chemistry announced the discovery that Montreal's water treatment plant was dumping estrogen products into rivers at a level 90 times the critical amount, a level far beyond the minimum for disrupting the fertility of fish.

Last week, Mexico's Secretariat of Health issued a warning that use of the contraceptive pill during pregnancy could raise the risk of "genital ambiguity," also known as hermaphrodism, in newborns.

"The sad thing about this is that, if we are talking about the regulation of fertility, these products are not necessary," writes Castellvi, noting that Natural Family Planning methods, which involve abstaining from sexual intercourse during the fertile period of a woman's monthly cycle, "are just as effective and furthermore they respect the nature of the person."

Despite mounting evidence indicating the harmful effects of artificial hormones on the environment, the French Press Agency reported that Castellvi's statements were "promptly dismissed by several organizations," which claimed that female hormones are present "everywhere" and change once they are digested.

Castellvi's statements are supported by a report recently issued by FIAMC, which he says contains more than 300 source citations, the majority of which are from medical publications. His article appeared in the January 4th issue of L'Osservatore Romano.

ollinger
01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
This is correlation, not demonstrated causation. Fertility tends to go down as crowding increases, reasons unclear, regardless of the presence of estrogens.

albino smurf
01-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Are we hurting for more people in the world? Might seem more credible if it were not from a source that considers contraception a sin.

max
01-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Nice anti-Catholicism there; next time, round up the Jews.

I'm impressed with the fact that since this issue's come to light in recent years, such a wide range of scientists note the ecological and biological problems. But so much for scientists and science! Not sure why this issue isn't taken more seriously.

Dedans Penthouse
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Might seem more credible if it were not from a source that considers contraception a sin.Speaking of contraception, if you're going to be a 'scumbag' about it, MUST you be a bigoted one at that?

albino smurf
01-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Speaking of contraception, if you're going to be a 'scumbag' about it, MUST you be a bigoted one at that?

huh? me? (10chars)

mikeler
01-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I work in the water industry and pharmaceuticals are definitely being taken seriously in the USA. So don't fear, bright minds are looking into this potential problem.

albino smurf
01-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Nice anti-Catholicism there; next time, round up the Jews.

Nice chip on your shoulder. What is anti-catholic about questioning their objectivity? They clearly have an agenda to stop the use of contraception, therefor their statements about the health concerns of contraception should be questioned. Why round up the Jews? This is like the tobacco industry questioning second hand smokes dangers. Too close to be objective.

Dedans Penthouse
01-08-2009, 01:15 PM
In "Rants 'n Raves" we have Mahboob and in "Odd & Ends" we have Manboobs. :razz:

Don't 'cha call me no 36C !!! Be it scotch, be it water, be it scotch 'n water, I drink bottled ... thank you very much.

There once was a homophrodite kid
Who was told by a man from Madrid:
"Why you son of a magggot, do you think I'm a f@ggot?
Just go phuck yourself!!!" .... so he did.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Maybe it's been causing the water to make rainbows! (epic fail video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3qFdbUEq5s)

Sentinel
01-09-2009, 12:46 AM
LOL, Shucks, is the water in Madrid *that* polluted ! I shoa wont be visiting there ever.

origmarm
01-09-2009, 01:33 AM
In another thread a while back I detailed how I no longer drink tap water in London as a result of tests I had run on some samples. From an environmental perspective I agree it's not great but I'm seriously worried about this as a problem. Probably less so once I've had a few kids :)

max
01-09-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm glad to hear water people are looking into this. One would think there are municipal water systems willing to pay something extra for equipment to handle this.

I see it kind of like lead in the water; a couple of glasses would not harm you in a significant way, but drinking it over a sustained period just does not sound like a good thing to be doing.

mikeler
01-09-2009, 07:58 AM
We call it emerging contaminants of concern. The utility I work at has already done some pilot work looking at cost effective ways to remove them if future regulations require it. This of course will increase your water bill, but that is the price we have to pay for clean water.

Fee
01-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Time to get rid of all of the female contraceptives and perfect the reversable vasectomy. You can have it done when you finish puberty and have it undone when you've owned a house for two years. ;)

mikeler
01-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Can I blame those female contraceptives on my Man Boobs?

albino smurf
01-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Lots of e-thuggin with no follow up. Tough stuff.

The Pure One
01-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Are we hurting for more people in the world? Might seem more credible if it were not from a source that considers contraception a sin.

Agree 100%. This quote says it all: "The sad thing about this is that, if we are talking about the regulation of fertility, these products are not necessary," writes Castellvi, noting that Natural Family Planning methods, which involve abstaining from sexual intercourse during the fertile period of a woman's monthly cycle, "are just as effective and furthermore they respect the nature of the person."

I bet that if it happens that the pill (and therefore those hormones) brings as a side effect more fertility to men and a healthier and longer life, these same Catholic organization would still be against it using the same arguments, "Natural Family Planning methods," and "respect the nature of the person". But back in their intimacy, they use it more than wine or younger nude males.

I'm not against to a formal and prolonged investigation into this whole matter, but I definitively have to hear more from other scientific communities.

Nanshiki
01-10-2009, 09:27 AM
To be fair, Catholicism believes that using contraceptives (birth control) is a sin, not conception. If anything, conception is holy, but fornication is a no-no. Which is kind of a double whammy against birth control.

stormholloway
01-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Isn't the issue about quality of water here? If you want to take contraception then take it. If not, don't. The issue is about environmental contamination. Think of everything else that's in the water besides 'the pill'.

max
01-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Yes. There are likely other drug residues in there as well, mostly of the more popular drugs.

mikeler
01-10-2009, 02:27 PM
I work in the water field and I am enjoying some ice cold tap water right now.

albino smurf
01-15-2009, 05:24 AM
There are a lot of studies showing that Bisphenol A, a component of plastic water bottles/products, is leaching into water/food and affects our bodies like a synthetic estrogen. This is probably where the bulk of this is coming from, not contraceptives. A scary phenomenon nonetheless.