PDA

View Full Version : Will Somdev Devvarman ever rise to the top?

oneguy21
01-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Devvarman produced a huge upset in Chennai beating Moya 4-6 7-5 6-4 to advance to his second ATP 1/4 final. What do you think? Will he ever be a top 20 player? I think his main problem is that he doesn't have any huge weapons. I remember watching him play at Legg Mason against Igor Kunitsyn and looked like he was just a human backboard. He probably is the best college tennis player of all time and yet he's struggling somewhat on the pro tour.

slicekick95
01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
i also watched that match and it got very boring he was a human backborrd

but......., in another thread, i read that he had hit 11 aces so musst have beefed up his serve, and i also read that he had 37 serve and groundstroke winners, so thats 26 winners off his groundstrokes. thats a really good number. i dont think i remember seeing more than 3 or 4 winners in his match against kunitsyn. so i think he must have just improved over the off season.

And he has not struggled on the pro tour. he won like the first 3 futures he played, then got to qf in a challenger before winning one (or two:confused:)
then in his atp tournament at legg mason, he made the quarterfinals after qualifying. not a dissapointing start by any means

mdjenders
01-08-2009, 02:35 PM
he is a nice player with a standard counter punch grinder game, maybe top 75 potential with a few good results. problem is, he is 24 years old. if he was 20, i could see him cracking the top 40 maybe in a few years. with his age and grinder style, in a few years he will be on the decline, though.

Leelord337
01-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Devvarman produced a huge upset in Chennai beating Moya 4-6 7-5 6-4 to advance to his second ATP 1/4 final. What do you think? Will he ever be a top 20 player? I think his main problem is that he doesn't have any huge weapons. I remember watching him play at Legg Mason against Igor Kunitsyn and looked like he was just a human backboard. He probably is the best college tennis player of all time and yet he's struggling somewhat on the pro tour.

haha i think that honor belongs to james blake for singles and the bryan brothers for dubs

also, i think the win over moya is a good one but moya isn't his best. lets see how he does against top 20 players

Jack the Hack
01-08-2009, 03:14 PM
haha i think that honor belongs to james blake for singles and the bryan brothers for dubs

also, i think the win over moya is a good one but moya isn't his best. lets see how he does against top 20 players

I know it was an off-handed comment, but James Blake didn't even win the NCAA title... so he's no where near the best college player of all time.

Devvarman won two NCAA singles titles, and you can make an argument for him as the NCAA GOAT. However, Mikael Pernfors won two straight NJCAA titles, followed up by two straight NCAA titles from '82-'86. That's 4 national singles titles in 4 years - which no other man has done. (Frank Segura won 3 straight Div I titles back in the 1940s, Ken Flach won 3 straight Div II singles titles, and Matt Seeberger won 3 out of his 4 tries in Div III). Pernfors was also a relatively successful pro, reaching the top 10 and making the singles final at the French Open.

If you are just talking talent alone, the greatest players to have won a men's NCAA title are probably Jimmy Connors, Arthur Ashe, Stan Smith, and John McEnroe.

(The Bryan brothers also have a case... but they only won 1 NCAA doubles title, while Stan Smith and Bob Lutz won two straight. By the way, Bob Bryan won the NCAA singles title... but JB didn't.)

drop volley
01-08-2009, 09:21 PM
haha i think that honor belongs to james blake for singles .....
Devvarman won TWO NCAA SINGLES BACK TO BACK playing for UVA and living about 12,000 freaking miles from his home...........

good grief............can it if you know not of which you post.........

mrmo1115
01-09-2009, 04:06 AM
I think beefing up his serve is the key for him to succeed, since we all know the man is a back board and is so fast.

Leelord337
01-09-2009, 04:15 AM
i was talking about sheer talent, pernfors may have been more clutch but put blake and pernfors against each other in their primes and i would put my money on blake.

yeah, i was thinking about johnny mac but wasn't sure if he went to stanford as long as blake played for harvard...and even devverman playing for the univ of virginia, so i didn't think it would have been fair to mention them.

oh, btw, how do you think devverman is going to handle karlovic's serve? :D
http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/891/MDS.pdf

SAFINATORZ
01-09-2009, 05:32 AM
He has a potential to be a top 50 player if he can produce consistent wins against top players and if can stay healthy on the tour. With that said, he does need to have a weapon of sort that he can rely on during dire situations. He does possess a great footwork and is consistent of the backcourt. The question is, can he maintain the same level of play day in and day out on the tour. If his work ethic is good and if he stays level headed, then there is a possibilty for him to finish in the top 50, if not higher!

Jdrizzle03
01-09-2009, 01:01 PM
just let all of you know, somdev did beat karlovic today
7-6(4) 6-4

good for him, he is a good player.

ClarkC
01-09-2009, 01:42 PM
oh, btw, how do you think devverman is going to handle karlovic's serve? :D
http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/891/MDS.pdf

Well enough, I would say. What would you predict?

mozzer
01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Well enough to win that match maybe?

crap should have read the rest of the thread before i posted!

egn
01-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Hmm I say he may be off to a good start the sf in chennai is going to get him to at least the top 200..maybe around 150, and if he can get to the finals or win it he will be even closer to top 100.

Torres
06-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Alot of things have happened since this thread was first started but I watched the Jack Sock v Somdev Devvarman match today until it got rained off half way through the 3rd set. Good match it was to watch too.

Jack Sock - big serve, big forehand, not really that much else, well nothing apart from a load of errors. Has a bit of jerk attitude as well, constantly questioning calls, telling the umpire to 'get a new job' etc.

Okay Devvarrman's not going to make it as top top pro but of the two, he was by far the more interesting player to watch and the more intelligent player in terms of his game and shot selection. He would be a frustrating player to play against because of the variety of balls that he produces, slice, dinks, chips, drives, drop shots, topspin, slice, variation in pace, good placement, most balls deep or in the corners, hit aces, finished short balls, and of he is a bit of human backboard. He played a very clever game against Sock who struggled to hit through Devvarrman despite having the bigger 'weapons'. Cool as a cucumber as well compared to Sock who looked like he was about to self-combust at times emotionally.

Nathaniel_Near
06-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Absolutely never.

The Meat
06-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Absolutely never.

Agreed, should have stayed in college and got a business or accounting job.

Torres
06-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Forget that! I'd rather be on the ATP Tour! He's been the 1st and 2nd rounds of all the slams, reached the 4th round of IW, has played the top players in the world including the likes of Djokovic and DelPo, he's travelled the world, played in the Olympics, won a gold in the Commenwealth Games, and has represented his country in the Davis Cup. That's living the dream.

You have no chance of doing that as an accountant!

BrooklynNY
06-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Forget that! I'd rather be on the ATP Tour! He's been the 1st and 2nd rounds of all the slams, reached the 4th round of IW, has played the top players in the world including the likes of Djokovic and DelPo, he's travelled the world, and has represented his country in the Davis Cup. That's living the dream.

You're have no chance of doing that as an accountant!

Good call.

tennisoh
06-12-2013, 03:20 PM
He might Somdev, but right now it is not looking good.

Legend of Borg
06-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Meh, doesn't look like much has happened since 2009.

It's definitely not a wasted career but it's not exactly flashy either.

Nathaniel_Near
06-12-2013, 05:01 PM

Not sure if serious. If serious, no, he's a tennis pro and probably enjoying his tennis career.

West Coast Ace
06-12-2013, 06:46 PM
No weapon. Nishikori and Simon play the same style, just a lot better.

'Rise to the top'? If he got to #25 and hung around there at least 6 months - that would be a big achievement.

Antonio Puente
06-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Good call.

lol .

Sentinel
06-12-2013, 09:07 PM
He might Somdev, but right now it is not looking good.
haha, good one.

He'll prolly move to doubles rather than just quit.

Torres
06-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Not sure if serious. If serious, no, he's a tennis pro and probably enjoying his tennis career.

Definitely. You've got to do try and do the things you love.

And if that's not enough, another nail in the coffin of the accountancy suggestion:

"Prize money $956,847"

He's only turned pro in 2008. That's more money that you'd earn as an accountant!

Bhagi Katbamna
06-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Definitely. You've got to do try and do the things you love.

And if that's not enough, another nail in the coffin of the accountancy suggestion:

"Prize money $956,847"

He's only turned pro in 2008. That's more money that you'd earn as an accountant!

Yes but he's probably spent more than an accountant would have spent in 5 years as well.

Legend of Borg
06-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Yes but he's probably spent more than an accountant would have spent in 5 years as well.

I'm sure he's seen a lot more of the world and had a fuller life than an accountant though.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-13-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm sure he's seen a lot more of the world and had a fuller life than an accountant though.

Oh, I am sure. But just pointing out that doing so costs a lot.

Volley123
06-13-2013, 04:06 PM
No, but he will rake it in playing Bhupati's upcoming tennis league, if the cricket equivalent IPL is any indication where even mediocre players are making millions for 6 weeks of playing.

sunny_cali
06-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Somdev has laid the sock on Sock, and slayed the Donald. Surely nothing stops him from soaring towards certain GOAThood now :twisted:

Sentinel
06-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Somdev won't rise, not even with yeast or baking soda.:oops::oops:

Nostradamus
06-13-2013, 08:54 PM

only if he develops 130 mph serves that he can place consistently in the corners.

Torres
06-14-2013, 12:35 AM
only if he develops 130 mph serves that he can place consistently in the corners.

He hit 6 aces against Sock compared to Sock's 4. Against Young, he hit 5 aces, to Young's 0.

He definitely doesn't have a big 1st serve but he does pick his spots well at key times. His 2nd serve is just too weak to take him to the top table of men's tennis. 140 in the world and the opportunity to have the tennis experience that he's had is nothing to be sniffed at though. I would have happily swapped my career in my 20s for his.

Somdev has laid the sock on Sock, and slayed the Donald. Surely nothing stops him from soaring towards certain GOAThood now :twisted:

I have to say that I couldn't help chuckling during the Young match because Devvarman plays such a smart game and Young plays such a dumb game at times, overhitting when out of position, going for too much at the wrong times, and doing a good impression of spontaneous human self-combustion.

Devvarman's never going to be able to mix with the top guys but he's a fascinating player to watch courtside.

kishnabe
06-14-2013, 02:33 AM
He gonna get good money in India. He can get some good money coaching due to his ATP achievements as small they are to people eyes and better than 1000's of others.

Nathaniel_Near
06-14-2013, 03:47 AM
On the subject of Indian tennis players, when is a certain Mr. Yuki Bhambri going to step up to the plate? AKA, Nole version 3.0.

Sri
06-14-2013, 05:47 AM
He'll rise as a Hindi / Tamil movie star. Devvarman FTW!

Rajnikant --> Sri Sri Sir Ravindra Jadeja --> Sri Sri Sir Sir Somdev