PDA

View Full Version : Just strung up some M2 with Hollowcore

meowmix
01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Just finished stringing up a batch. M2 in the mains at 54 pounds, Hollowcore in the crosses at 58.

This is my first time stringing poly. Even in the mains, it's a hassle. I couldn't figure out how to actually lower the dropweight for about 15 minutes...

At the moment, it feels very stiff. I'll be playing with it tomorrow, so more about it then.

A bit about me:

I'm a 175 pound, 5'8 16 year old. I played JV tennis last season, and will probably move up to varsity this year. NTRP wise, I'm most likely a 3.5. I'm an all courter, and enjoy messing with my opponent's minds. This is the first time I'll be playing with a poly. That being said, I think that people like me are Luxilon's target market for the M2, being as how it's supposed to be a "softer" poly.

Corsair
01-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Sweet! Can't wait for the playtesting review!

Max Winther
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Its like the ultimate free hybrid! Oh and try using a little more slack before you drop the weight when stringing polys. You'll get a feel for it after you do it right a few times.

meowmix
01-08-2009, 05:32 PM
I finished the job about four hours ago, and the stringbed seems a lot less stiff now. I'm not sure if this is due to tension loss or not. If it is, then the tension must have dropped by quite a few pounds, since (just hitting the racket against my palm) I notice that the stringbed is a lot more responsive.

cujays
01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
this is an interesting combo
tell me how it plays

Blade0324
01-08-2009, 07:14 PM
I'll be curious to see what you think of it. I'm just getting ready to post about a full set of M2 I strung up and tried today. I think it's a nice string.

meowmix
01-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I think that it'll feel pretty nice. I've never used poly before, so I'm expecting great things :)

lpicken
01-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Hollowcore = Hollow[k]rap

vndesu
01-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Hollowcore = Hollow[k]rap

2nd it 10 char

Corsair
01-09-2009, 12:35 PM
On paper, it sounds like a great combination! Softness of M2 supported by the stiffness of the hollowcore!

ajs72us
01-09-2009, 12:46 PM
The thing about the Hollow Core coupled with a poly is that the Hollow Core moves around a ton. Kinda annoying. The combo you are using will be very lively.

meowmix
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Just hit with the hybrid today. I was getting lessons, so I was mainly drilling and not really playing too many points out.

Comment 1. I strung it up WAY too high. I probably should have dropped the tension a good 5 pounds.

That being said, the setup didn't really impress me any. Control was nice, as was expected. Spin was decent, but I wasn't generating much more spin than I usually do. Touch shots, volleys, drop shots, well, nothing special. There's nothing to really support Luxilon's claim that the string "responds", at least, I didn't feed it. Serves were decent, but again, nothing overly impressive. Control was nice, power was okay, and spin was decent.

On a positive note, the setup wasn't all that jarring, harsh, or uncomfortable. I really felt the Hollowcore letting the stringbed give a bit and ball pocketing was apparent. All in all, I don't think that a transition from a multi/syn gut to this setup would be very hard at all.

purple-n-gold
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I tried it as well today,with both at 50lbs in a 90 inch 18x20 pattern.Probably would go a few lbs. higher next time. Yep it was lively for poly mains and the strings do move around alot. A buddy uses the babolat hybrid of pro hurricane/conquest and it's sorta similiar to that only "better" with more feel and power.

TheSubdude
01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Comment 1. I strung it up WAY too high. I probably should have dropped the tension a good 5 pounds.

but I wasn't generating much more spin than I usually do. Touch shots, volleys, drop shots, well, nothing special.

You strung 54/58 and that was too high???

In doing drills, were you able to get a good rhythm going so that you were freely swinging or did you get a chance to really test em out?

meowmix
01-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Yes, the 54/58 was too high. Then again, I had strung a Hollowcore/syn gut hybrid at 54/58 as well, and that felt comfortable.

In doing drills, I was able to test the strings out. Considering it was a short lesson (hour and a half), I didn't get a ton of time hitting each shot. However, in the about 20 minutes that I was doing groundstrokes, volleys and serves, I think I was able to form a decent opinion.

I'll write up another one the next time I string this up, since I think the hybrid might play a lot better at something like 50/52.