PDA

View Full Version : Sergiy Stakhovsky

Lotto
01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
As you may be aware, the ukranian Sergiy Stakhovsky was playing Andy Murray in the quarter-final of Doha today. He gave Murray a good game in the first set but lost the match 6-4, 6-2.

The weird thing I find is that on the 20th of July 2008 Ireland were playing Ukraine at home in Ireland, on artificial grass. It was 2-1 to Ukraine and our no.1 Conor Niland was playing Stakhovsky in the 1st reverse singles.

Stakhovsky ended up winning the match and tie for Ukraine:

4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6, 7-5

So, Niland went 2 sets to love up and lost 7-5 in the fifth.

The funny thing is, Stakhovsky is like in the top 80 in the world now and will probably be top 70 after Doha but Conor Niland is currently 285 in the world, his highest ranking has been 229 (11 Aug 08) and his best results of 2008 were:

-Great Britain F7 Winner
-Ireland F2 Winner
-New Dehli III Challenger Winner

They were his three tournaments wins and he had 1 0r 2 other Futures finals and made it to the 1st qualifying round at Wimbledon and Aussie Open.

My question is: How is it that the score in the Davis Cup match could be so close, the match could be so close yet now look where Stakhovsky's playing and look at Niland.

Any ideas??

Rob_C
01-08-2009, 02:53 PM
As you may be aware, the ukranian Sergiy Stakhovsky was playing Andy Murray in the quarter-final of Doha today. He gave Murray a good game in the first set but lost the match 6-4, 6-2.

The weird thing I find is that on the 20th of July 2008 Ireland were playing Ukraine at home in Ireland, on artificial grass. It was 2-1 to Ukraine and our no.1 Conor Niland was playing Stakhovsky in the 1st reverse singles.

4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6, 7-5

The funny thing is, Stakhovsky is like in the top 80 in the world now and will probably be top 70 after Doha but Conor Niland is currently 285 in the world, his highest ranking has been 229 (11 Aug 08) and his best results of 2008 were:

-Great Britain F7 Winner
-Ireland F2 Winner

They were his three tournaments wins and he had 1 0r 2 other Futures finals and made it to the 1st qualifying round at Wimbledon and Aussie Open.

My question is: How is it that the score in the Davis Cup match could be so close, the match could be so close yet now look where Stakhovsky's playing and look at Niland.

Any ideas??

It happens. There isnt much difference in ball striking ability between the levels, with a couple of exceptions of course.

Guccione beat Ferrero when he was ranked in the 400s and Ferrero was till top ten I believe. Actually he beat Ferrero the first two times they played, I believe, both times at Sydney.

Kuznetsov lost to someone who was ranked in the 1000s the week after he won Aptos, and he was in the 200s at that time.

Then of course Harrison beat Cuevas last year.

David L
01-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Any ideas??
Because you literally have 1000s of players in the world who can play at a world class level, but only about 100 positions available to make a viable living as a professional tennis player.

vive le beau jeu !
01-08-2009, 06:55 PM

4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6, 7-5

-Great Britain F7 Winner
-Ireland F2 Winner

Any ideas??
what about Gulbis losing, also in davis cup and in 5 sets (indoor clay), against Lazar Magdincev (27 years old, #724, best ranking #339) last year ?!
that sounds even more surprising ! ;)

Max G.
01-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Players can have good days and bad days. Perhaps he was having a bad day when he played in Davis Cup, this having him play about even with a 200-ish ranked player. Perhaps Niland played a better-than-average match. Perhaps both. Perhaps Stahovsky's gotten better since them. Perhaps he let the pressure of DC get to him.

Heck, perhaps he looks better than he actually is playing against Murray.

There's lots of reasons it could be.