PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Ana Ivanovic

ljamorin
01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi there!

I made this thread primarily to discuss the game and personality of Ana Ivanovic.

I have to admit that I am a die hard Graf and Henin fan when both of these players were actively playing.

The reason why I love this two players is the way they carry themselves on and off the tennis court. The way they play tennis. When both of these players retired, I was looking for somebody who can emulate the success of these two players.

In the first part of 2008, Ana Ivanovic came out of her shell after Henin retired and won the French Open. Many see her as the next big thing in tennis. The reason: her sunny personality and her stinging forehand.

When Ivanovic won the French Open, I was thinking she really figured out to keep her emotions and her nerves but after that, things turnaround. She keeps on losing to lower rank players. It's really a shame on her part that she reached world number 1 and started to lose one match after another. I haven't seen any female world number who has lost in the first or second round in as many times as she entered in a tournament. Worst, she lost all her matches in the year end Championships.

Just today, news came out that she lost to Amelie Mauresmo in Brisbane. Not a good preparation for the Australian Open. She gave a thousand reason as to why she lost to Amelie but sure nobody is going to buy that idea.

When Henin was still playing, she never made any excuses as to why she lost in a match. Rarely is she losing in the first and second round of a tournament.

News came out that she is parting ways with Sven Groeneveld. Well, if you will analyze, Sven is hired by adidas to coach their contracted tennis players. But attention must be given in the fact that Sven was very instrumental in her win at the French Open. By the look of it, she will not have a coach this coming Australian Open. Basing on her vulnerability, things are so dim on her chances to win the Aussie Open since she doesn't have a coach.

Scott Brynes, her fitness coach, concentrates on her conditioning and not on her game. I believe Ana needs to improve all aspect of her game if she wants to be in the Top 5 at least.

Another telling story is the rumor that she will be leaving adidas since the company might not give her the 10 million dollars she was asking once her contract expired. Well, I can say that's a diva attitude. Although, her website noted that adidas is preparing her a contract that will keep her in their company for the long time, a similar contract with Graf, still there are rumors that she will be leaving adidas.

There's a lot of drama going on with her. The good news is that finally she has a boyfriend in the person of Fernando Verdasco. Well, by the looks of it, Verdasco is getting inspired to play more but will Ivanovic pick up her game in time in Melbourne or will she go to the dungeons to find her game?

roundiesee
01-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Ana is an excellent player, but at times she can be too "emotional" and would choke in difficult situations. Last year's Wimbledon loss was an example. But she is still young and will only improve with time. I don't think she's on par with the likes of Henin or Graf just yet :)

jrod
01-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Quite frankly, I was really excited to see her succeed last year, culminating in the FO win. She worked hard on her fitness, her game and her mental toughness. She seemed to have a personality and attitude that would really inspire girls and young women all around the globe to get involved in the sport. I thought the womens game had finally found exactly what it needed.

Unfortunately, since her FO win she seems to have completely lost focus. I'm not at all impressed with her handlers and the decisions made to provide her with more exposure (I mean that literally and figuratively). The media plus Verdasco are just distractions in my opinion, and her tennis has suffered.

If she wants to succeed in tennis and avoid a Kournikova fate, she needs to get back to what won her the FO....singular focus on the game of tennis. No more photo shoots, no more Fernando or Ferragamos, no media hype, no Dolce commercials; JUST tennis, plain and simple. Otherwise, she should just cash out now and start playing charity events with the 'other' Anna.

SempreSami
01-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Quite frankly, I was really excited to see her succeed last year, culminating in the FO win. She worked hard on her fitness, her game and her mental toughness. She seemed to have a personality and attitude that would really inspire girls and young women all around the globe to get involved in the sport. I thought the womens game had finally found exactly what it needed.

Unfortunately, since her FO win she seems to have completely lost focus. I'm not at all impressed with her handlers and the decisions made to provide her with more exposure (I mean that literally and figuratively). The media plus Verdasco are just distractions in my opinion, and her tennis has suffered.

If she wants to succeed in tennis and avoid a Kournikova fate, she needs to get back to what won her the FO....singular focus on the game of tennis. No more photo shoots, no more Fernando or Ferragamos, no media hype, no Dolce commercials; JUST tennis, plain and simple. Otherwise, she should just cash out now and start playing charity events with the 'other' Anna.

Sharapova collected her three Grand Slams over four years, I'm sure Ivanovic can do the same.

MarrratSafin
01-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Ana Ivanovic is terrible IMO. Her forehand is powerful, yes, even looks like Graf's in the slow motions, but she hits more errors than a junior in a match. She needs to find more consistency in her shots otherwise she will continue losing to lower ranked players frequently. She might play good in one match but totally rubbish in the next. & btw her fist pumps are childish & silly.

vsgut
01-08-2009, 06:18 PM
ummmmmmmmmmm

ronalditop
01-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Ana Ivanovic is terrible IMO. Her forehand is powerful, yes, even looks like Graf's in the slow motions, but she hits more errors than a junior in a match. She needs to find more consistency in her shots otherwise she will continue losing to lower ranked players frequently. She might play good in one match but totally rubbish in the next. & btw her fist pumps are childish & silly.

agree with the part of the fist pumps. its annoying, she does that after every single point she win, even if its an unforced error from her opponent.

SempreSami
01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Managed to win the French Open with a forehand.

mrmo1115
01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Managed to win the French Open with a forehand.

Also Safina's mental break down in the final helped.

marc tressard
01-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Ana is obviously a hugely talented athlete who has already made a large name for herself and a bundleof $$$ even if she never again perches at #1. But let's not go wild over the "flavour of the month."

In her "interviews" (is English her #2 language?) I've not once heard her utter anything even midlly insightful or even intelligent, just reflexive cue card pleasantries. Her game is not unique or ground breaking - to my mind, AI is an inferior Sharapova. AI is not any saviour of the WTA nor a shadow of what that other Serb, Seles, was. Another fine WTA baseline basher.

My one hope is that she too does not vanish by age 26.

mrmo1115
01-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Ana is obviously a hugely talented athlete who has already made a large name for herself and a bundleof $$$ even if she never again perches at #1. But let's not go wild over the "flavour of the month."

In her "interviews" (is English her #2 language?) I've not once heard her utter anything even midlly insightful or even intelligent, just reflexive cue card pleasantries. Her game is not unique or ground breaking - to my mind, AI is an inferior Sharapova. AI is not any saviour of the WTA nor a shadow of what that other Serb, Seles, was. Another fine WTA baseline basher.

My one hope is that she too does not vanish by age 26.

I doubt she will vanish. Too good to vanish. But comparing her to her compatriot , JJ , she isn't as consistant with her results, so thats why she is in her slump.

JJ might not ever get a grand slam, but she will be on the top of the rankings for a while , due to her incredible consistant results.

takl23
01-09-2009, 05:59 PM
She'll be great when she figures out her head. She's by far my favorite female to watch, but it's getting annoying to watch her lose all the time. I think she lost first round in this week tournament did she not? She's in a huge slump mentally and needs to figure it out big time.

Cheers,

Tim

flyer
01-09-2009, 08:43 PM
her heads is kind of in the clouds right now...

she is more focused on her off court life right now than tennis. thats the reason for the slump.

GameSampras
01-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Eye candy. Nothing more nothing less

1st Seed
01-09-2009, 08:57 PM

I'd say what he said. 2nd that

1st Seed
01-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Coach should make her watch some older Jenn Jenn footage.Older Capi would control the whole point off that beast of a forehand.Anna has talent just needs to learn how to play tennis.Wait for her shots,prepare a good point.She would benifit from a Coach change.

DJG
01-09-2009, 09:10 PM
A coach change is never a bad idea - just get a different perspective on things and tweak some areas. She can make it really big, but like other posters I also think she may have lost some focus.

HydroYang
01-10-2009, 02:04 AM
She needs to believe more.

ispaht
01-11-2009, 12:55 AM
It's got to be Verdasco's doing.

halalula1234
01-12-2009, 02:29 AM
boring slower basher muscular woman

Raiha
01-12-2009, 02:41 AM
i love watching ivanovic, but i think she needs to work on her fitness more. hopefully she can increase her foot speed this year.

tintin
01-12-2009, 10:34 AM
she lost to Mauresmo so what? even before Mauresmo got injured since winning Wimbledon 2006 she has always had Ana's # so I don't know what the big deal is.

Ana should be ashammed of herself for losing in straight sets to a 29yo woman who played 2 matches lasting more than 6 hours in 2 days

Lefty5
01-12-2009, 10:40 AM
one word... diet.

bluetrain4
01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
She kind of stagnated after winning the French.

Nice girl, big game - has the potential to win more Slams. BUT (there's always a "but"), this is not a foregone conclusion. While she looks unbeatable while "on" and ahead in a point (like most big hitters do),she is prone to periods of inconsistency.

She is not a particularly great mover, which can be exploited by players who are effective counterpunchers and move well themselves. Many players just bash right along with Ana and rack up the UEs themselves, which plays right into her hands.

Finally, though she has broken through and won a Slam, I don't find her to be particularly mentally tough. Her mind is not a crippling weakness by any means, but I still think she lacks a little bit of confidence and is prone to mental lapses/emotions beyond other players at her level. But, it's a new year, so we'll see.

NickC
01-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I don't think much of her, as I'm not into the WTA tour. However, one of my english "mates" down here at University "fancies her" and "reckons that she's well fit". I do, however, think that she's pretty good looking.

SempreSami
01-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't think much of her, as I'm not into the WTA tour. However, one of my english "mates" down here at University "fancies her" and "reckons that she's well fit". I do, however, think that she's pretty good looking.

My definition of fit would be someone like Yelena Isinbayeva, Ivanovic is hawt however.

icazares
01-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Probably 2 or 3 notches below Graf or Henin. Contrary to the perception of many, I think women tennis is having a terrible time. How I miss Justin!

veroniquem
01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Probably 2 or 3 notches below Graf or Henin. Contrary to the perception of many, I think women tennis is having a terrible time. How I miss Justin!
Ditto! x 20

David_Is_Right
01-15-2009, 04:12 AM
Some very odd statements in this thread...

The good news is that finally she has a boyfriend in the person of Fernando Verdasco. Well, by the looks of it, Verdasco is getting inspired to play more but will Ivanovic pick up her game in time in Melbourne or will she go to the dungeons to find her game?

Anna has talent just needs to learn how to play tennis.