PDA

View Full Version : Poly hybriding in the Yonex Iso Head

netman
01-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Looking for advice/experience on solving the tension riddle when stringing hybrids in Yonexs with the Iso heads. Yonex recommends stringing the crosses 5% lower than the mains in their Iso head frames (RDS001, RDS003, etc.). But experience has taught me that when stringing a poly mains/syn gut crosses hybrid, the crosses should be strung roughly 5 lbs higher than the poly for optimal play. My current solution has been to put one type of poly in the mains and another one in the crosses at 5% lower. But I would really like to try a poly/syn gut hybrid in my RDS 001 MP. Advice?

-k-

Kevo
01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
If you're following the standard rule of string poly 10% lower, then you would string your syngut crosses 5% higher than you string the poly mains. If you're not following the 10% rule on the poly, then you would have to adjust up or down depending on what percentage you are using. And since you seem to like your crosses tighter, I guess you could adjust for that too. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just pick a starting point and adjust from there on your next stringing. I wouldn't go above an 8lb. differential just to play it safe with the frame, but other than that, I think it's mostly personal preference.

When I played with the RDX 500, I strung my frames at 60/57 with syngut, and 57 straight with poly. I was using Cyberflash and it was soft enough that a 5% drop was plenty for me.

netman
01-09-2009, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the input Kevo.

I've been going 55/53 on my poly/poly hybrid. So I will try a syn gut hybrid with the mains at 55 and the crosses at 58 as a starting point.

Jerry Seinfeld
01-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the input Kevo.

I've been going 55/53 on my poly/poly hybrid. So I will try a syn gut hybrid with the mains at 55 and the crosses at 58 as a starting point.

I would strongly advise against this. Even though Yonex has backed down on their suggestion to lower the crosses 5%, on many of their frames due to the headshape it is still well advised to follow this practice. I simply see too many that crack around 10:00 and 2:00.

By installing crosses at a tension higher than mains, regardless of string type, I believe you are seriously tempting the fates...and not in a good way. I would determine the tension you want the poly based string and then install the crosses a couple of pounds lower. Yes, I know the poly is usually lower, but in the case of Yonex frame integrity trumps other concerns.