PDA

View Full Version : So did Roddick's new coach change him at all?

RCizzle65
01-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I haven't been watching his matches, did anything seem to change with Roddick, does he still have his loopy forehand?

LanceStern
01-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Supposedly he still has it, but it's less loopy and more aggressive now. He has "more" on both his forehand and backhand side. More oomph.

Plus he's got some drop shots here and there, which is good to hear.

This is all by ear though, I want to see a match or two to agree.

Dan007
01-08-2009, 08:18 PM
He's trying to hit it harder and be more aggressive, but hit forehand is still too loopy and spinny. He needs to flatten it out but he's keep putting spin on the ball. I think he misunderstood the forehand problem he has. He's trying to be more aggressive, but still hitting with as much topspin, when he should really be taking some spin off and hitting it flatter and harder.

MajinX
01-08-2009, 08:28 PM
He's trying to hit it harder and be more aggressive, but hit forehand is still too loopy and spinny. He needs to flatten it out but he's keep putting spin on the ball. I think he misunderstood the forehand problem he has. He's trying to be more aggressive, but still hitting with as much topspin, when he should really be taking some spin off and hitting it flatter and harder.

he still has to keep it in, u have to balance spin and pace, if u hit it super hard and flat, then its going out for sure... i think currently his forehand is looking alot better a majority of the time and his backhand looks alot more useful now also.

There are a couple short youtube vids of him playing in the 1st round and 2nd round. would probably need to wait longer for someone to post an actual highlight vid of him. Or try to catch a live steam of him in doha, roddick vs monfils should be a entertianing match.

tacou
01-08-2009, 08:28 PM
haven't seen him but I wouldn't think much of it until AO. that's when we'll see what Roddick's planning on doing.

Arbartrator
01-08-2009, 08:59 PM
he still has to keep it in, u have to balance spin and pace, if u hit it super hard and flat, then its going out for sure... i think currently his forehand is looking alot better a majority of the time and his backhand looks alot more useful now also.

There are a couple short youtube vids of him playing in the 1st round and 2nd round. would probably need to wait longer for someone to post an actual highlight vid of him. Or try to catch a live steam of him in doha, roddick vs monfils should be a entertianing match.

Do you by any chance have a link for the streaming?

RCizzle65
01-08-2009, 09:02 PM

He had a great forehand before, controlled aggression

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw9VTHEj5ao

AznHylite
01-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Well from the looks of things, he looks fine. His forehand and backhand definitely have a better look to them. Flatter and more aggressive. You can even see that on some returns, he's being more aggressive as well. This is definitely a good sign if you're a Roddick fan. Improvement is definitely a possibility though.

tacou
01-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Well from the looks of things, he looks fine. His forehand and backhand definitely have a better look to them. Flatter and more aggressive. You can even see that on some returns, he's being more aggressive as well. This is definitely a good sign if you're a Roddick fan. Improvement is definitely a possibility though.

if this is true that's great, I wasn't expecting too much in the first tournament of the year. if there are noticeable changes already, I'd expect a lot more as the year progresses.

MajinX
01-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Do you by any chance have a link for the streaming?

http://atdhe.net/live-tv-2024.html

this one is for doha i believe, dont know where ur from but it at around 10am my time i think?? and thats like around 8 hours away from now.

for a glimpse of how hes playing now these are very short highlights from his 1st and 2nd round.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9OpGpYv0O4
vs navarro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmGqDzbyYF4
vs clement

FD3S
01-08-2009, 10:01 PM

To be fair, while Roddick used his power to greater effect then, this was before Federer was... well, Federer. The 2007 US Open semifinal between them is also a good match to watch, as Roddick brought his power for that one too (but not quite the control; in the Wimby match, Roddick's forehand definitely seemed to have better placement.)

norbac
01-08-2009, 10:02 PM

this one is for doha i believe, dont know where ur from but it at around 10am my time i think?? and thats like around 8 hours away from now.

for a glimpse of how hes playing now these are very short highlights from his 1st and 2nd round.
vs navarro
vs clement

He looks like he's playing some good tennis, his match with Monfils should be his first test. Thanks for the clips.

tata
01-08-2009, 10:12 PM

I honestly think that clip shows roddick in his best days.He really needs to go back to that type of play.

Arbartrator
01-08-2009, 10:35 PM

vs navarro
vs clement

What time is he playing tommorow?

LanceStern
01-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I agree with you tata, but he's older now. That takes some energy to do that

MajinX
01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
What time is he playing tommorow?

4 pm doha time, so just google the timezones or something and figure out when it is on for you.

actually i just did it... its 11 am in doha right now, well 10:55.. but yea basicly 11. So in 5 hours he would be playing.

edmondsm
01-08-2009, 11:09 PM
We will see. It hasn't been long enough. The Aussie Open will be a good indicator, but also the Spring hardcourt season.

Arbartrator
01-08-2009, 11:20 PM
4 pm doha time, so just google the timezones or something and figure out when it is on for you.

actually i just did it... its 11 am in doha right now, well 10:55.. but yea basicly 11. So in 5 hours he would be playing.

Do you know which match is first?

MarrratSafin
01-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Roddick's match is first, starting 2am New Zealand time.

Arbartrator
01-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Roddick's match is first, starting 2am New Zealand time.

What time is it at New Zeland right now?

MarrratSafin
01-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Roddick in 03-04 was amazing. I never had any coaching but just picked up tennis & learned how to play from watching Roddick on tv. As a result I have a very above average serve compared to my actual ability.:) Seriously using Roddick's serve motion results in absolutely cracking first serves.

swedechris
01-09-2009, 01:32 AM
i have seen 2 of his matches form doha. looks good. moves better now. hits the groundies with purpose and good form at the net. his serve is still good but guys nowadays get some more returns back so good to see him pick up on movement and intent. so far , so good. today is a big test though monfils is on fire..

MarrratSafin
01-09-2009, 01:35 AM
What time is it at New Zeland right now?

Erm, 11.40pm. Roddick's match starts in 2 1/2 hours.

A-Rod6600
01-09-2009, 01:50 AM

That really was Andy in his prime, he was great!!

MarrratSafin
01-09-2009, 02:01 AM
That really was Andy in his prime, he was great!!

Yeah that's the best of Roddick, and what I want to see from him this year. Awesome points he played. Just look at the aggression. Com'on Andy!

Arbartrator
01-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Uh, are you seriously staying up to watch? haha. I guess you live in Hawaii.:)

California

MarrratSafin
01-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Do you use that link that is in the first page of this thread?

Oh haven't check what link I'm going to use. The link in this thread should be fine.. but there are often a few at least, on myp2p.eu.

MarrratSafin
01-09-2009, 03:51 AM
SAFIN is playing Hrbaty in Hopman Cup now! I'm switching to that first:)

Arbartrator
01-09-2009, 04:28 AM
No breaks yet in the match

MarrratSafin
01-09-2009, 04:39 AM
Arrrgh. Monfils breaks! Roddick looks not much different from last year though, despite some ppl saying he's more aggressive? I can't really see him flattening out that forehand. Monfils is drilling the winners..

KerryJ
01-09-2009, 04:48 AM
Monfils just drilled a backhand out of nowhere. Roddick broke back though

morten
01-09-2009, 05:02 AM
Roddick is pretty good IMO..

SAFINATORZ
01-09-2009, 05:37 AM
too early to say, however he's coming to the net at the right time and is actually finishing of the point.

I haven't been watching his matches, did anything seem to change with Roddick, does he still have his loopy forehand?

GameSampras
01-09-2009, 05:42 AM
It Doesnt matter who he has. Though I think Gilbert was the best hes ever had bar far. Roddick's talents were utilized to their utmost under Gilbert. Problem is the top guys today are just too talented and good for Roddick. Outside of Roddick's serve its the same old story. You break through Roddick's serve and ROddick breaks down. Same old song and dance. When your only big weapon is your serve anymore, how do u expect to be a champion countless times over?

SAFINATORZ
01-09-2009, 05:47 AM
He was definitely better off with brad gilbert, he had more variety in this game, better placement on his serve, deep returns etc. Could've definitely benefited more from gilbert's knowledge.

It Doesnt matter who he has. Though I think Gilbert was the best hes ever had bar far. Roddick's talents were utilized to their utmost under Gilbert. Problem is the top guys today are just too talented and good for Roddick. Outside of Roddick's serve its the same old story. You break through Roddick's serve and ROddick breaks down. Same old song and dance. When your only big weapon is your serve anymore, how do u expect to be a champion countless times over?

thejoe
01-09-2009, 05:49 AM
I'm watching the Roddick-Monfils now, and Andy's serve isn't looking that big? Is it just me?

musicalmedic81
01-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Andy is definitely hitting the balls deeper than before, but still not a lot of pace. You know how most players have the ability once they open up the court and get a short ball to step in and crush a hard flat winner? Andy doesnt really do that. When he does get a short ball, where most players could smack a winner, Andy's ball looks like just another rally shot. Like theres no difference in his rallying forehand and when he goes for the kill.

I think it has a lot to do with his swing. Its different from other players, he's always swinging up on the ball instead of through it, and looks like he's standing flat footed instead of moving his body through the shot.

He actually seems to be hitting his backhand harder and flatter than the forehand, but most of the time cross court and right back to his opponent. His BH pass has definitely improved.

Overall, even though its early in the season, the only real difference I see with Andy is his movement is better, he seems lighter on his feet and a little quicker chasing down drop shots. Hopefully Andy gains some confidence to start going after that FH kill shot a lot more, we've all seen him do it before. Id hate to see him get pummelled by Murray tomorrow. Ive been a Roddick fan since 2002 and I really want to see him do well this season.

stician
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM

what words would you offer to Nadal?

Alexio92
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm watching the Roddick-Monfils now, and Andy's serve isn't looking that big? Is it just me?

Thats what I was thinking?

LanceStern
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Someone else said the same thing about Roddicks serve slowing down in his other matches.

That's the LAST thing he wants to adjust!

tacou
01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Roddick was playing VERY good, but imo, not very different. I saw a few cracked forehands but most were still loopy (though not AS).

he played pretty well at net also, but still to many times he did that dumb high bouncing slice to the forehand.

overall Roddick looks very good but not too different, but as I and others have said, nothing should be too different til AO and even more spring hard court.

even kooyong would be a better indicator as he'll probably try out new stuff there.

iamke55
01-09-2009, 02:02 PM
He already slowed down his forehand considerably, so it was only a matter of time before he did the same to his serve.

TsongaEatingAPineappleLol
01-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Roddick sucks. All he wants to do is pound the @#$% out of the ball. He does not want to learn correct dynamics like serving and volleying and slicing. This is the reason Connors left him. Plus, his attitude sucks.

tacou
01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
roddick doesn't know how to serve?? 5 posts is enough from you sir

egn
01-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I think we will see at the AO he still has to prove he can beat the big guys in big events or is he going to get outsed in another qf.

NamRanger
01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
He actually rips FHs on the occasion.

NamRanger
01-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Someone else said the same thing about Roddicks serve slowing down in his other matches.

That's the LAST thing he wants to adjust!

He's slowing it down but placing it much better and getting high percentages in. It's not always about the power. He's still putting it in well over 120+ the majority of the time.

rubberduckies
01-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Roddick sucks. All he wants to do is pound the @#$% out of the ball. He does not want to learn correct dynamics like serving and volleying and slicing. This is the reason Connors left him. Plus, his attitude sucks.

His serve is awesome. He has a better holding percentage than Federer, even though his ground game is far inferior. There are a few things he just needs to stop doing entirely. For most players, approaching behind a cross court slice is a mental mistake that may happen once a match. Roddick seems to have incorporated this as an actual tactic despite the fact that it almost always ends poorly for him.

andyroddick1
01-09-2009, 06:54 PM
When Roddick is serving 120+ for 82%, I think a little less pace is acceptable.

DJG
01-09-2009, 08:44 PM
When Roddick is serving 120+ for 82%, I think a little less pace is acceptable.

Yes, it is about balance. 120 for 82% is better than 130 for 50%.

TsongaEatingAPineappleLol
01-10-2009, 09:12 AM
His serve is awesome. He has a better holding percentage than Federer, even though his ground game is far inferior. There are a few things he just needs to stop doing entirely. For most players, approaching behind a cross court slice is a mental mistake that may happen once a match. Roddick seems to have incorporated this as an actual tactic despite the fact that it almost always ends poorly for him.

That's another thing I would like to critique: His serve. It may be blasting fast, but there's barely any placement every point. Hey, don't get me wrong, his serve is the fastest of all time, but not the best. Sampras could place it.

He could do so much more with his game.

EndLy
01-10-2009, 09:23 AM
i must say, watching his matches at Doha, there are times where he could've gone for his forehand but didn't... that was pretty disappointing. Anticipation isn't something you can teach though... roddick's going to have to start guessing better when he's at the net

tacou
01-10-2009, 09:32 AM
I only saw him against Monfils and his anticipation was fine, it was his approaches that often let him down.