PDA

View Full Version : Has French tennis ever been this healthy?

the Artist
01-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Monfils
Tsonga
Simon
Gasquet

Can you say talent?

I'm very curious as to which hights Tsonga and Monfils will be able to rise.

slice bh compliment
01-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Yeah, they're looking great right now...very talanted lot. I mean, this is up there with the Leconte, Forget, Noah, Tulasne years.

It's going to take a lot to top Noah. And I don't just mean tennis.

LanceStern
01-08-2009, 11:56 PM
And you know what, each one has their own kind of playstyle. And about the only one that doesn't show that "flashy showmanship" that characterizes french players is Simon.

I would be proud to be a frenchman, their tennis program chairs must be proud.

Now we just need a very-nice looking couple of french woman that bring a unique and powerful game to the WTA.

cork_screw
01-09-2009, 12:18 AM
How many of these guys are consistently ranked in the top 10? Consistency is the key. Davydenko and Nalbandian both should get awards for that.

LanceStern
01-09-2009, 12:28 AM
That's very true.

How long has Davydenko been there? Since Federer or before that?

And Nalbandian has ups and downs. He just los the Top 10 spot but I don't think that was the first time eh?

Zaragoza
01-09-2009, 03:20 AM
They are great in depth but they still lack a big name, a Slam winner.

mrmo1115
01-09-2009, 04:06 AM
I admit, they are very very strong right now. I like alot of them too. Tsonga, Simon, Monfils, Gasquet, 4 of my favs.

jetlee2k
01-09-2009, 06:13 AM
how about US Tennis?? it's SAD.. watching Blake played at the Hopman cup.. man.. he even got out hit by that Aussie girl.. he was serving second set 5-4, I told my wife he will lost that game and yes.. Blake threw in a double fault and 3 unforce errors to lose the game.. then went on the lose the set.. 7-5....

At least French Tennis produce some nice, consistence young guns compare to US at the moment

GameSampras
01-09-2009, 06:20 AM
When one of them win a slam I will consider it healthy. They are still just consistent top guys.

tennisgirl90
01-09-2009, 06:26 AM
France is one of the strongest tennis countries all over the world, but they just lack that bit extra to win a Slam. Tsonga is injured most of the time, Gasquet is mentally weak and Monfils has so much talent but he's just very inconsistent. They're all still young, so who knows? But you can't buy GS winners. You just need a bit luck for that, look at Serbia or Belgium.

Pete Semper
01-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Im french and pretty proud of our tennis history (even if the last CG winner is Yannick Noah). Tennis is the second most important sport in my country...it explains why so many frenchies reach the Top 100.

scotus
01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Why no mention of Mathieu? Is he still working with Wilander?

Tempest344
01-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Its looking pretty good
so does Spain as well

phoenicks
01-10-2009, 04:03 AM
how about US Tennis?? it's SAD.. watching Blake played at the Hopman cup.. man.. he even got out hit by that Aussie girl.. he was serving second set 5-4, I told my wife he will lost that game and yes.. Blake threw in a double fault and 3 unforce errors to lose the game.. then went on the lose the set.. 7-5....

At least French Tennis produce some nice, consistence young guns compare to US at the moment

Blake got outpowered by a girl, are you serious??? Blake is certainly not the most powerful hitter in ATP, but he's well known hitting the ball hard and flat, Even Williams sister is no match for that, and now what, an Aussie girl outta no where hits harder??? That's just unbelievable.

phoenicks
01-10-2009, 04:05 AM
How many of these guys are consistently ranked in the top 10? Consistency is the key. Davydenko and Nalbandian both should get awards for that.

Davydenko ( even though he's a choker under pressure ), Yes!!!
Nalbandian, Nooo way in hell he can get it, he's 1 of the biggest talent waster, he could have won slam.

NGRSupaEaglez92
01-10-2009, 04:19 PM
It will be a dissapointment if they do not go far in davis cup

Kirko
01-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Monfils
Tsonga
Simon
Gasquet

Can you say talent?

directly very deep in talent! Gasquet is my favorite player. like monfils also.

SempreSami
01-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Monfils
Tsonga
Simon
Gasquet

Can you say talent?

Healthy in what way? Monfils and Tsonga have had their fair share of injuries between them and Gasquet is mentally frail.

rubberduckies
01-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Gasquet has a flashy backhand and not much else. Too much hype has been built around his supposed 'talent'. He rallied from from 2 sets down to beat Roddick in Wimbledon. His mental weakness has been exaggerated. His game isn't that impressive and never has been.

bsd987
01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Well, the 1920s for sure.

The thing is there's still room for improvement among all those people you mentioned. Monfils and Simon have shown flashes of brilliance but have been erratic. Gasquet is lacking in confidence, which is a shame since he has one of the most beautiful serves on tour.

Also, you can't forget Mathieu, even if he has underperformed for so long.

Tennis360
01-10-2009, 06:03 PM
For me, these 4 frenchies are very talented, especially Gasquet - he's my fav too. i like watching his style of play and especially his exquisite backhand. he lacks confidence though, but i think this will improve as he matures...i see a future grandslam champ out of this lot.

Morrissey
01-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Well if any of you were around in the 1920's (like myself :-D) you would have heard of Henri Cochet, Jean Borotra and Rene Lacoste. So to answer the question, French tennis has seen healthier days.

egn
01-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Well if any of you were around in the 1920's (like myself :-D) you would have heard of Henri Cochet, Jean Borotra and Rene Lacoste. So to answer the question, French tennis has seen healthier days.

I would agree and not even to be disrespectful but how old are you sir? It is nice to see that there are still old time fans around that haven't abandoned tennis since the open era.

Morrissey
01-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I would agree and not even to be disrespectful but how old are you sir? It is nice to see that there are still old time fans around that haven't abandoned tennis since the open era.

Let's just say I'm old enough to know that tennis existed before Sampras & Agassi. Given the way people are in here.

egn
01-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Let's just say I'm old enough to know that tennis existed before Sampras & Agassi. Given the way people are in here.

lol okay =]

JeMar
01-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I like Gasquet's strokes, but his mental game gives me fits.

tacou
01-10-2009, 07:09 PM
can someone give me an example of Gasquet's mental weakness? I know he doesn't seem like "a fighter" or a guy who can grind out a victory, but I can't recall ever seeing him choke a big match or anything.

I hope Simon and Tsonga remain constant fixtures in the top10, I love both of their games and they are so contrasting.

Monfils kind of annoys me but it was nice to see a frenchmen actually perform at the French Open.

tacou
01-10-2009, 07:10 PM
aha right after I posted that I recalled the Murray match at Wimby, but after choking while serving for match he was simply outplayed... but I guess I'll consider that.

still, that's not enough for a reputation, and that rep. certainly existed before that match.

JeMar
01-10-2009, 07:16 PM
He also refused to play against Roddick in DC because he didn't think he could win. Even his own country slammed him pretty hard for acting like a chump.

He totally went away against Nadal this year in Canada after winning an excellent first set.

I'll see if I can think of a couple more.

tacou
01-10-2009, 07:20 PM
hm I think the Nadal thing is more a physical thing, he's taken the first set before but he's just too fragile to hang with him.

and yeah the DC thing, I forgot about that, it was bad.

I'm thinking more like 05/06 or even 07, because all I've ever heard about him is his mental weakness.

TennisLover17
01-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Can you say Davis Cup? :D

But seriously, yeah it's looking great for them. I mean Gasquet might have a good year this time around, after slumping in 08.

shell
01-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Well, we could pick apart each individual player, but I think the point of the OP statement was how well the country of France is doing currently in bringing up good players. Whatever their system is, it seems to be working. Even on the women's side they have a few that are breaking into the top 100 level and seem to have some future.

veroniquem
01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Well, we could pick apart each individual player, but I think the point of the OP statement was how well the country of France is doing currently in bringing up good players. Whatever their system is, it seems to be working. Even on the women's side they have a few that are breaking into the top 100 level and seem to have some future.
The French are just crazy about tennis :wink:. They take sick days just to go to Roland-Garros. Such a tennis obsessed country is bound to produce some good players along the road...

World Beater
01-11-2009, 06:12 PM
the french have always had talent..the problem is that they never always had results...

the results are starting to improve. hopefully its not a flash in the pan

J-man
01-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Monfils
Tsonga
Simon
Gasquet

Can you say talent?

I'm very curious as to which hights Tsonga and Monfils will be able to rise.They have tons of talent but they don't have consistency.

veroniquem
01-11-2009, 06:29 PM
They have tons of talent but they don't have consistency.
They have creativity instead.

tacou
01-11-2009, 06:30 PM
omg such cliches as I was trying to prove. they are all so young, but since making AO final Tsonga ascended to his highest ranking of 6 and Monfils is up to 13 ( I believe ) and made the semis of his first tournament.

seems consistent to me.

jessey
01-12-2009, 06:12 AM
I loved watching Alize Cornet played during the Hopman Cup. Great hope for her to break into the top 10.