PDA

View Full Version : Which lasts longer, Multi/Poly Hybrid or Full Multi?

GasquetGOAT
01-09-2009, 02:18 AM
I broke my full multi strings (yonex 850) in about 6 hours of play, right in the center mains. I like the feel of that string but want it to last longer, should I do a multi/poly hybrid? Would that make it last longer? Or would the multi main strings break just as quick as a full multi job?

MarrratSafin
01-09-2009, 02:51 AM
I broke my full multi strings (yonex 850) in about 6 hours of play, right in the center mains. I like the feel of that string but want it to last longer, should I do a multi/poly hybrid? Would that make it last longer? Or would the multi main strings break just as quick as a full multi job?

Pretty much the same for me, broke Dunlop Max Comfort 16g in app. 5 hours. Do not use multi-poly hybrid, it'll pop even quicker. When you hit with topspin the multi mains move and the poly crosses will saw through the mains much quicker than a multi cross. If you really like the multi mains, string the crosses 3-4 lbs higher than mains to minimize string movement = slight increase of durability IMO. Are you using a thin gauge? If so a thicker gauge would help.

GasquetGOAT
01-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Pretty much the same for me, broke Dunlop Max Comfort 16g in app. 5 hours. Do not use multi-poly hybrid, it'll pop even quicker. When you hit with topspin the multi mains move and the poly crosses will saw through the mains much quicker than a multi cross. If you really like the multi mains, string the crosses 3-4 lbs higher than mains to minimize string movement = slight increase of durability IMO. Are you using a thin gauge? If so a thicker gauge would help.

The Yonex 850 I'm using only availables in 16 gauge. Are you saying by string the crosses higher would minimize string movement of the mains or crosses? What about an 16 gauge poly in the crosses? Its thick so won't saw through the mains as quick and being a poly it doesn't move much anyway?

MarrratSafin
01-10-2009, 01:36 AM
The Yonex 850 I'm using only availables in 16 gauge. Are you saying by string the crosses higher would minimize string movement of the mains or crosses? What about an 16 gauge poly in the crosses? Its thick so won't saw through the mains as quick and being a poly it doesn't move much anyway?

16g favors durability. The crosses almost don't move, it's the mains that move. Stringing the crosses higher will minimize the mains' movement.

When the mains move, the crosses are 'sawing' it. Yeah right, a 16g poly cross won't 'saw' through your mains as fast as a 18g poly cross would. But it will still 'saw' your mains faster than a soft multi, synthetic or gut cross would. So if you like this multi and wants durability it's better to do a full multi job than hybrid with poly crosses. Poly crosses are for ppl who are looking to tame the power of a multi or gut mains IMO.:)

GasquetGOAT
01-10-2009, 03:16 AM
16g favors durability. The crosses almost don't move, it's the mains that move. Stringing the crosses higher will minimize the mains' movement.

When the mains move, the crosses are 'sawing' it. Yeah right, a 16g poly cross won't 'saw' through your mains as fast as a 18g poly cross would. But it will still 'saw' your mains faster than a soft multi, synthetic or gut cross would. So if you like this multi and wants durability it's better to do a full multi job than hybrid with poly crosses. Poly crosses are for ppl who are looking to tame the power of a multi or gut mains IMO.:)

Ok thanks I got what you mean about the poly crosses.. But I still don't understand why stringing the crosses higher would minimize the mains' movement?

fps
01-10-2009, 03:59 AM
i just went through yonex tour super 850 pro in a little more time than that. i'm gonna experiment with string savers.

MarrratSafin
01-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Ok thanks I got what you mean about the poly crosses.. But I still don't understand why stringing the crosses higher would minimize the mains' movement?

Erm.. not sure how to explain. You string the crosses higher and they apply more force on the mains, and the friction drag that the main string encounters increases therefore it's harder for it to move on the cross string... oh well I don't really excel in physics at all...

Yeah string savers will help increase durability. Another 2 ways I know for durability is use a smaller head size racquet, or use a denser string pattern (18x20) rather than 16x19. Hope that helps.

GasquetGOAT
01-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Erm.. not sure how to explain. You string the crosses higher and they apply more force on the mains, and the friction drag that the main string encounters increases therefore it's harder for it to move on the cross string... oh well I don't really excel in physics at all...

Yeah string savers will help increase durability. Another 2 ways I know for durability is use a smaller head size racquet, or use a denser string pattern (18x20) rather than 16x19. Hope that helps.

That kind of makes sense.:) But what about string the mains higher? Would that make them move less as well?

Regarding string savers, have you used them yourself? If so how many do you use and where?

MarrratSafin
01-10-2009, 01:38 PM
That kind of makes sense.:) But what about string the mains higher? Would that make them move less as well?

Regarding string savers, have you used them yourself? If so how many do you use and where?

No stringing the mains higher than the crosses will result in quite a lot of movement of the mains, for a multi. Ca'nt figure out why, but I learned all these from a very knowledgeable stringer called Jaycee on stringforum.

I don't use string savers myself, simply because I don't like the look of additional items in my stringbed.:) But I've read positive feedbacks from most ppl using it. They apply the string savers where the sweetspot is, in the centre area of the stringbed where your strings make contact with the ball most & fray the most.

hoodjem
01-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I would bet that a hybrid of Weisscannon Silverstring mains and Yonex Yonex 850 crosses would be very nice indeed.

Don't forget to string the poly 5-10% lower.

GasquetGOAT
01-12-2009, 08:21 AM
No stringing the mains higher than the crosses will result in quite a lot of movement of the mains, for a multi. Ca'nt figure out why, but I learned all these from a very knowledgeable stringer called Jaycee on stringforum.

I don't use string savers myself, simply because I don't like the look of additional items in my stringbed.:) But I've read positive feedbacks from most ppl using it. They apply the string savers where the sweetspot is, in the centre area of the stringbed where your strings make contact with the ball most & fray the most.

Thanks again.

I wonder if the string savers would make string less powerful or muted? Also how many to apply, in what order and etc? Guess I better do a search :D

MarrratSafin
01-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks again.

I wonder if the string savers would make string less powerful or muted? Also how many to apply, in what order and etc? Guess I better do a search :D

Yeah, better try do a search:) I don't use string savers and don't know too much about them so can't really help here..