PDA

View Full Version : Global Natural Gut

Hankenstein
01-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Anyone here tried this made in India string??

Itīs pretty strange that itīs made in India actually. I wonder what kind of animal they use to make this gut-string as cows are holy in India!?!?!?!

On the "big E auction site" they sell 1 set for 17,99 free shipping and 10 sets for 120 free shipped. 12 $ for a set of natural gut is extremely cheap!

Look for example on item nr: 120348386190

100 sets for 1000 $, thatīs 10$/set, but itīs the first time ever i have seen a black natural gut.

I did buy 1 set and it will be very exciting to try it out when it arrives.

flash9
01-09-2009, 06:03 AM
A few years ago there was a guy selling Natural Gut that he called Grand Slam Natural Gut. I believe I remember him offering the string in Black.

The guy selling the string was very nice, but the gut was very brittle and of the six sets he sent me half snapped as I tried to string them, and one popped in my racquet before I even got to hit with it. The other two sets actually lasted a couple months. The sets came in two ~20ft lengths, and he said they were made in India.

If you are not going to string this for yourself, please warn your stringer. Even better, I recommend you be present when your stringer is doing the string job, and if it snaps you can see that it was not your stringers fault.

Hankenstein
01-09-2009, 06:22 AM
A few years ago there was a guy selling Natural Gut that he called Grand Slam Natural Gut. I believe I remember him offering the string in Black.

The guy selling the string was very nice, but the gut was very brittle and of the six sets he sent me half snapped as I tried to string them, and one popped in my racquet before I even got to hit with it. The other two sets actually lasted a couple months. The sets came in two ~20ft lengths, and he said they were made in India.

If you are not going to string this for yourself, please warn your stringer. Even better, I recommend you be present when your stringer is doing the string job, and if it snaps you can see that it was not your stringers fault.

I string myself. I have the Wise tension-head with an additional "diablo"
http://www.watdon.co.uk/wd-strings/A099.gif

I have strung gut many times in the past when i used to work in a tennis-shop but then we used a Neos 1000 manual machine. I guess I have to set the speed to the slowest level on the tension head when stringing this gut.
It will be interesting to try though... I donīt expect a VS gut and it will be interesting to see how it turns out. I will post a review here with pics :)

Rabbit
01-09-2009, 07:27 AM
I too got a set of this as a demo. I strung it up in a PS 85. It played great, reminded me of old school gut from the days of wood. Unfortunately, it snapped that night in my bag. GG's representative was persistant. He kept a hard sale on for 6 months or so. I found it to be an inferior product and would warn you off it.

hoodjem
01-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Grand Slam gut is listed in various incarnations on the RSI string chart.

Grand Slam Gut Black Knight Gut 16 (Coated) Natural Gut 1.32 103 11.91
Grand Slam Gut Grand Slam Gut 15L (coated) Natural Gut 1.36 100 8.58
Grand Slam Gut Grand Slam Gut 15L (uncoated) Natural Gut 1.48 129 11.22
Grand Slam Gut Grand Slam Gut 16 (coated) Natural Gut 1.41 113 9.28
Grand Slam Gut Grand Slam Gut 17 (uncoated) Natural Gut 1.28 105 7.87
Grand Slam Gut Ti. Power 16 (coated) Natural Gut 1.36 112 9.31
Grand Slam Gut Ti. Power 16 (uncoated) Natural Gut 1.30 97 10.92

Does that make it a trustworthy, legit company?

davidahenry
01-09-2009, 08:06 AM
A few years ago there was a guy selling Natural Gut that he called Grand Slam Natural Gut.

I believe Global Gut and Grand Slam Gut are the same string - just different brand names. I believe they are made by a company called Emerson - out of India.

Like this thread, I have read other threads stating this is less-than-optimal gut.

I recommend using one the major gut brands (Babolat, Pacific, Klip). Even though these top brands may cost more per set, I have a feeling you will still wind up saving money in the long run.

Take care.

DH

scotus
01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Grand Slam gut is listed in various incarnations on the RSI string chart.

Grand Slam Gut Black Knight Gut 16 (Coated) Natural Gut 1.32 103 11.91
Grand Slam Gut Grand Slam Gut 15L (coated) Natural Gut 1.36 100 8.58
Grand Slam Gut Grand Slam Gut 15L (uncoated) Natural Gut 1.48 129 11.22
Grand Slam Gut Grand Slam Gut 16 (coated) Natural Gut 1.41 113 9.28
Grand Slam Gut Grand Slam Gut 17 (uncoated) Natural Gut 1.28 105 7.87
Grand Slam Gut Ti. Power 16 (coated) Natural Gut 1.36 112 9.31
Grand Slam Gut Ti. Power 16 (uncoated) Natural Gut 1.30 97 10.92

Does that make it a trustworthy, legit company?

No, not at all.

I think all it means is that Grand Slam Gut made their strings available for the RSi to test.

When I was in contact with Grand Slam Gut, they never had the 17 gauge available (I think because no one could possibly string that up without it snapping).

The one set I bought (16 gauge) for $14 (I think) was indeed very soft and gut-like. I actually preferred its feel to Klip Legend, which does not feel at all like gut when prestretched. But I was only successful at having a half set strung up as a cross in a hybrid. The other half snapped multiple times, and my stringer told me he doesn't want to string GSG again.

So $14 for a half set is equivalent to $28 for a full set. I think my money would be better spent on Babolat, BDE, Pacific, and other established brand names.

tennisdad65
01-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I considered buying it because I string at low tensions.. 45-50 for mids and 50-55 for oversize. I once read that their recommended tension limit is 58-60, so I would only consider this gut, if was stringing it at 45-50 lbs.

tennisdad65
01-09-2009, 10:10 AM
btw.. there is another gut selling for $14.25 at the big site. item number is 360091803025. It is listed as unifibre and sold from california, but their description is very similar to the india listing I saw last year.

from their site:
* It is not recommended to go over 60 lbs of tension

i.e. if 60 lbs is the limit, I definitely would only buy it to string at 45-50 lbs..

stician
01-09-2009, 10:23 AM

I have strung gut many times in the past when i used to work in a tennis-shop but then we used a Neos 1000 manual machine. I guess I have to set the speed to the slowest level on the tension head when stringing this gut.
It will be interesting to try though... I donīt expect a VS gut and it will be interesting to see how it turns out. I will post a review here with pics :)

sorry to take this off topic a bit... what's the diablo? I've been thinking about the Wise tension head to compliment my Eagnas 300 machine. It looks like a well put together unit.

Hankenstein
01-09-2009, 10:52 AM
sorry to take this off topic a bit... what's the diablo? I've been thinking about the Wise tension head to compliment my Eagnas 300 machine. It looks like a well put together unit.

The Diablo is the round tool before the gripper. I have no idea what the american term is for it. See it here: http://www.watdon.co.uk/wd-strings/

The Wise-unit is lovely! An advice is to get the foot-pedal also. Really good help!

I see a lot of posters says it snaps at around 60 lbs.. Luckely no problem as I string at around 52 lbs.

I will give it a try. Iīm entering the playtest with great enthusiasm (spl?)

scotus
01-09-2009, 11:05 AM

Itīs pretty strange that itīs made in India actually. I wonder what kind of animal they use to make this gut-string as cows are holy in India!?!?!?!

A couple of months ago I noticed a string advertised as "sheep gut". So maybe this is something along that line?

I have heard of gut made out of sheep intestines but it was the first time seeing the actual product.

Well, let us know how it plays.

DJG
01-09-2009, 11:12 AM
A couple of months ago I noticed a string advertised as "sheep gut". So maybe this is something along that line?

If I remember correctly, the GSG (not sure if this string from the bay is indeed that) was made from sheep's intestines. From what I recall in the TW "Natural Gut 101", this is not always a good option.

Then again, if it is cheap and it works for you, it is great. One size does not fit all.

scotus
01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
If I remember correctly, the GSG (not sure if this string from the bay is indeed that) was made from sheep's intestines. From what I recall in the TW "Natural Gut 101", this is not always a good option.

Then again, if it is cheap and it works for you, it is great. One size does not fit all.

No, the GSG that I got was made from good ol' cows. It was advertized as such, and I remember the string having the beefest smell I have ever sniffed off any natural gut. My nose can tell the difference between beef and lamb meats. :)

davidahenry
01-09-2009, 01:53 PM
The Diablo is the round tool before the gripper. I have no idea what the american term is for it.

Diablo
10 char

Bud
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM

On the "big E auction site" they sell 1 set for 17,99 free shipping and 10 sets for 120 free shipped. 12 $ for a set of natural gut is extremely cheap!

Look for example on item nr: 120348386190

100 sets for 1000 $, thatīs 10$/set, but itīs the first time ever i have seen a black natural gut.

I did buy 1 set and it will be very exciting to try it out when it arrives.

I considered buying it because I string at low tensions.. 45-50 for mids and 50-55 for oversize. I once read that their recommended tension limit is 58-60, so I would only consider this gut, if was stringing it at 45-50 lbs.

btw.. there is another gut selling for $14.25 at the big site. item number is 360091803025. It is listed as unifibre and sold from california, but their description is very similar to the india listing I saw last year.

from their site:
* It is not recommended to go over 60 lbs of tension

i.e. if 60 lbs is the limit, I definitely would only buy it to string at 45-50 lbs..

I agree with TD65 - I bought some off fleabay (about 12-14 months ago) and found that if strung over 58 lbs on a CP (dropweight)... it snapped (I snapped 2 sets... and magically it worked when I dropped it down to 55#).

However, if you string at 50# or below, it's definitely a good option as it's very comfortable when hitting.

When you pull it from the package.. don't expect high quality NG like Babolat or Klip. It's a dirty light brown color and is slightly greasy to the touch. It feels nothing like the top quality guts.

DJG
01-09-2009, 08:35 PM
No, the GSG that I got was made from good ol' cows. It was advertized as such, and I remember the string having the beefest smell I have ever sniffed off any natural gut. My nose can tell the difference between beef and lamb meats. :)

Thank you, I stand corrected :)

Il Mostro
01-10-2009, 08:17 AM
We all know that products made in India are renowned for QC. ;-)

SoCal10s
01-10-2009, 12:54 PM
yes I've tried Global and Unifibre gut and they are both OK , you get what you pay for.. the Unifibre I got had an oily coating to it, no big deal... the snapping of the gut that everyone talks about may be due to the over clamping and/or the pulling of the string by the string pull mechanism setting it too tight ... if the string pull mech. is set too tight and the clamps are set too tight then it will squeeze the string and get put an indentation and weaken the string load,thus sometimes snapping the strings... also if the gut strings have no coating,it may be a good idea to coat them with maybe cheap hair spray or a mix of denature alcohol(3/4) and lacquer(1/4) to protect the strings for longer life...
both are gut and play like gut so it's not a bad buy,maybe use it for practice play and/or a 2nd or third racket,saving some $$$ but still using gut strings..

Gennady Mamzhi
01-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Great playability. Lasted around 3 weeks on the crosses in BB11 Mid. I got 10 sets for $75.00 shipped from eB@y.

Another cheap gut option on eB@ay is Unifibre - that one is total cr@p. If I tried to string it over 55lbs, it snapped. Global is much better!

Another good choice for cheaper gut is German gut. Got 2 sets for around $15.00 each and it played great.

Hankenstein
01-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Great playability. Lasted around 3 weeks on the crosses in BB11 Mid. I got 10 sets for $75.00 shipped from eB@y.

Another cheap gut option on eB@ay is Unifibre - that one is total cr@p. If I tried to string it over 55lbs, it snapped. Global is much better!

Another good choice for cheaper gut is German gut. Got 2 sets for around $15.00 each and it played great.

Cr(a)p! I also got 3 sets from the bay of the Unifibre-gut. Wanna try both and see which one i like the most.. Good thing is that if Globalgut is the best itīs possible to get a lot of sets really cheap!

Droofin
01-11-2009, 07:35 AM
I use Global gut in my wood rackets. It's perfect.

You must take your time and be careful while stringing.

tennisdad65
01-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I noticed that they have natural gut in black color and brown color. is the black color a different (better) coating?
item # 120356930172

Droofin
01-12-2009, 08:13 AM
I've only used the natural.

Its far from one of the mainstream gut products you can by here at TW. But, for the money, it's pretty remarkable if you used dense pattern smallish head rackets and don't string too tight (over 62 lbs).

Again, string carefully. It'll unravel if not treated with serious care. String each cross one ahead before tensioning, etc.

Il Mostro
01-12-2009, 07:39 PM
How do you say "short bus" in Urhdu?

Bud
01-12-2009, 11:49 PM
How do you say "short bus" in Urhdu?

Ortshay Usbay :confused:

Il Mostro
01-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Ortshay Usbay :confused:

Your range never ceases to amaze :-)

racingdad23
01-13-2009, 04:15 PM
about 6 months ago I was asking about Global Gut also. They sent me a few samples. Wasnt too impressed by the looks of it. But after using it for several months I have to say it has been extremely durable and has performed very well. Not bad for a cheap gut.

lilxjohnyy
01-13-2009, 04:18 PM
how did u get a couple free samples... email me at godofgibbernese@gmail.com if u cant say how on boards. THanks

StevenLaurence
01-16-2009, 04:57 PM
I agree German Natural Gut is the best on ****. It's Autoclaved to last longer than anything else. I tried Global this week and it breaks after a couple of sets.

000KFACTOR90000
01-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Be aware that the German gut is sheep gut and the Global gut is regular cow gut.

Not saying that's a good/bad thing.

StevenLaurence
01-19-2009, 12:22 PM
True, but Global is not Autoclaved! Plus German Gut also has Angus Gut too!

SoCal10s
01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
I agree German Natural Gut is the best on ****. It's Autoclaved to last longer than anything else. I tried Global this week and it breaks after a couple of sets.

I tried that German gut and it didn't play like gut,it didn't look like gut,it didn't smell like gut.. I put a broken small piece in water for a long time(few days) to see if it would frail like gut and it stayed intact ... so my guess is that it ain't natural gut.. they can call it what ever they want,but if doesn't have the characteristics of natural gut,how could it be?

SOY78
01-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I've tried german gut before. It streched like crazy on my stringer. It played awesome until it broke, good power, control and great touch shots. It never unraveled like other cheap natural gut that did that. Up towards the end of it's life it notched and had a little unravel close to the notches.

Il Mostro
01-19-2009, 05:06 PM
True, but Global is not Autoclaved! Plus German Gut also has Angus Gut too!

LOL! If Angus gut is better, then Wagyu or real Kobe gut should be sublime.

Bud
01-19-2009, 10:17 PM

Is there any GSG or the German gut for sale currently on fleabay? I just see Unifibre.

Bud
01-19-2009, 10:18 PM

Do you have a link to this gut?

Gennady Mamzhi
01-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I have not seen German gut on eB@y in a long time... Global is good enough to string as crosses for me, however, I will never buy Unifibre again.

Bud
01-21-2009, 07:30 AM
I have not seen German gut on eB@y in a long time... Global is good enough to string as crosses for me, however, I will never buy Unifibre again.

I'm thinking of buying 10 sets for $150 in the black color... from the dude in India. I string at 50# or lower... so it should be fine for me.

Has anyone tried the darker color?

Does the coloring get all over your hands and the tennis balls? :neutral:

Thumbs up or down?

jim e
01-21-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm thinking of buying 10 sets for $150 in the black color... from the dude in India. I string at 50# or lower... so it should be fine for me.

Has anyone tried the darker color?

Does the coloring get all over your hands and the tennis balls? :neutral:

Thumbs up or down?

Hi Bud: Have you used this string before? As it would be ashame if you have not, and did not like it once you use it, and then have a lot of string that you really do not care for, and be out $150.It would be nice for you to try a set first to see if it meets your expectations.You may be best to see if you could purchase 1 set first to try out.

Bud
01-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Hi Bud: Have you used this string before? As it would be ashame if you have not, and did not like it once you use it, and then have a lot of string that you really do not care for, and be out $150.It would be nice for you to try a set first to see if it meets your expectations.You may be best to see if you could purchase 1 set first to try out.

Perhaps. The seller does have a 100% feedback rating on fleabay, however... and the comments on the string seem to be positive.

Hankenstein
01-21-2009, 09:40 AM
I recieved 3 sets yesterday.

2 natural colored in 16 gauge and 1 set black color 16 gauge.

I should have strung them yesterday but my wise tensionhead was just dead!?!?! No power what so ever. Very very strange (and sad...) and my crank (spl?) is not calibrated. I will get a new tension calibrator on friday. Will string then and playtest on the weekend. Then I can compare the natural and black colored string.

Bud
01-22-2009, 09:08 AM

I should have strung them yesterday but my wise tensionhead was just dead!?!?! No power what so ever. Very very strange (and sad...) and my crank (spl?) is not calibrated. I will get a new tension calibrator on friday. Will string then and playtest on the weekend. Then I can compare the natural and black colored string.

Cool... looking forward to your feedback on this string :)

Bud
01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
BTW, I dug up some of that natural gut I bought off Fleabay about a year ago... and strung up one of my 5G's at 50# (mains and crosses), last night. The stuff is actually sweeter than I recall!

I hit with it, this morning, for a few hours and like it better than the Babolat Tonic+ 16 that was in the 5G for a couple weeks... before snapping, after the crosses chewed through the mains :evil:

It was very easy to string... didn't unravel or kink and didn't snap (I learned after 2 broken half sets, not to string it over 58#).

I paid $8.00 per set (I had 8 sets, originally... and now down to 5) and it's a brand called "Ace Play - Premium Natural Gut".

I wish I could still find it on the bay! :mad:

SOY78
01-22-2009, 12:21 PM
I still have a bunch of that Ace Play string in my closet. One popped in my bag, two sets popped while I was stringing the mains :( I guess I should use them as crosses only from now on. Oh and the gage is so inconsistent. For example when I would pull the string through the grommet hole it would be fine at first and then start to get harder to go through and after it went through the grommets had a lot of dirty wax on them.

Bud
01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
I still have a bunch of that Ace Play string in my closet. One popped in my bag, two sets popped while I was stringing the mains :( I guess I should use them as crosses only from now on. Oh and the gage is so inconsistent. For example when I would pull the string through the grommet hole it would be fine at first and then start to get harder to go through and after it went through the grommets had a lot of dirty wax on them.

If you want to sell it, let me know. Did you buy the 15L or the 16 gauge?

I received 4 of each, I believe.

Bud
01-22-2009, 01:04 PM

I wonder how Global Gut compares to Ace Play.

SOY78
01-22-2009, 01:17 PM
I got the 15L but then all of a sudden after I got the 5-40 ft sets of that string I got another 10 of the 16ga for free and then the guy didn't sell the strings on the bay any more.

Bud
01-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I got the 15L but then all of a sudden after I got the 5-40 ft sets of that string I got another 10 of the 16ga and then the guy didn't sell the strings on the bay any more.

Yeah I recall his customer's feedback comments stating the string was junk and brittle... snapping during the stringing process, etc. I think that's when he added the suggestion about stringing under 60#.

Why did you order 10 more sets of 16g after having issues with the 15L?

SOY78
01-22-2009, 01:23 PM
I forgot to add that I actually got them for free from him

Bud
01-22-2009, 01:26 PM
I forgot to add that I actually got them for free from him

Lol! Oh, because the 15L's snapped?

He sent me more sets than I paid for, too. I believe the auction was for 5 sets and he ended up sending 8 sets, for some reason. Yes, I won 5 sets of 16g and he sent an additional 3 sets of 15L. So I ended up with 8 sets for about $70.

tenis
03-02-2009, 09:22 PM
IMO, you got what you pay for. Last year I used Titan nat. gut and first cracked while stringing, second a few days later (on cross). Wasting time and money.

Bud
03-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Hey whatever happened with this natural gut review, Hankenstein? I also ordered 6 sets of the Indian NG (3 natural and 3 black) but have yet to string it up.

Bud
03-03-2009, 12:59 PM
IMO, you got what you pay for. Last year I used Titan nat. gut and first cracked while stringing, second a few days later (on cross). Wasting time and money.

Bummer for you on that :cry:

jhp49
03-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I recently strung 3 sets of Global Gut 16 gauge natural color ( 1 for me 2 for friends). String carefully. It is more difficult to string with than syhthetic or poly. I played 7 hrs with the same racquet and only lost 1 DT of tension (ERT 300). The gut plays well and is much easier on my shoulder than anything else I've tried. I miss the poly synthetic hybrid but I don't miss the pain in the shoulder (bicep and rotor cuff tendonitis). I'm a 4.0 senior player using a Head LM Fire strung at 48lbs. I will string the next gut set at 54 lbs. I string on a Revo 4K.

JHP

Hankenstein
03-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Hey whatever happened with this natural gut review, Hankenstein? I also ordered 6 sets of the Indian NG (3 natural and 3 black) but have yet to string it up.

Hey Bud! Sorry for the "no show" of this review. I have been doing some heavy play-testing of a lot of different frames lately and i have gone through about 6-7 different frames the last two months. I have now found my weapon (Kfactor six one 95 18/20) and have now started to be used to the feeling and also stocked up 5 frames and will soon string one up with this gut. I didnīt want to "waste" a set and do a review before I knew the feeling of the racket itself so the review was based on the "honey-moon" feeling. A review will be posted within a couple of weeks.

Bud
03-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey Bud! Sorry for the "no show" of this review. I have been doing some heavy play-testing of a lot of different frames lately and i have gone through about 6-7 different frames the last two months. I have now found my weapon (Kfactor six one 95 18/20) and have now started to be used to the feeling and also stocked up 5 frames and will soon string one up with this gut. I didnīt want to "waste" a set and do a review before I knew the feeling of the racket itself so the review was based on the "honey-moon" feeling. A review will be posted within a couple of weeks.

Okie dokie :)

hellojeffo
03-17-2009, 09:13 PM
I got my set today. It's the natural color version. The gut's gauge was obviously uneven at places here and there, but generally the string seemed okay. But I must say, it's a pain in the butt to pull the crosses through, weaving is okay, but trying to pull in across.. whew.. There's too much friction (even though I move the strings up and down). Will be hitting with it tomorrow evening, and let you guys know...