PDA

View Full Version : In this thread, you'll please help me understand hybrid stringing.

TheSubdude
01-09-2009, 07:57 AM
I never got the memo on hybrid stringing. For 15 years I've used Prince Topsin on various rackets - currently a Speedport Red at 60lbs. Help me understand the benefits.

What strings do you use and on what racket? What is your rating?

What benefits does your string combination offer you?

Thanks.
1st post

ps - A search for hybrid stringing yields way to many results so if this has been covered please show me the way.

Racer41c
01-09-2009, 11:10 AM
In a nut shell:

* It's all about Poly. Until the softer ploys came out, the stiffness was killing arms but guys got hooked on taking big swings without snapping strings and the rediculous spin potential. So people tried combinations of stiff polys with other strings like syn guts and created a discovery that a whole lot of tuning can be accomplished with different combinations at different tensions. A form of having your cake and eating it too!

* What are you trying to accomplish? There are a lot of guys (like me) who just like to try new things. Man, there's an un-limited # of combinations you can try with hybriding. But what I was trying to do was increase spin and cut down on power. In other words take a bigger cut and keep the ball in. And it's a whole lot less expensive than buying racquets all the time.

At this point in my hybrid experiment I'm using Blue Gear mains (56), Titan crosss (60). This combo gives me a nice crisp feel, fairly good spin, but just a little too much power. So the next experiment will be a thin poly cross like Big Ace Micro.

And besides, It's just fun!

TheSubdude
01-09-2009, 06:05 PM
So this partially came from people who shouldn't be hitting polyester wanting to hit with big boy strings. And others like to have fun with string combinations?

Does anyone have a story that tells of tangible improvements to feel and/or performance due to this hybrid stringing?

raygo
01-09-2009, 06:48 PM
So this partially came from people who shouldn't be hitting polyester wanting to hit with big boy strings. And others like to have fun with string combinations?

Does anyone have a story that tells of tangible improvements to feel and/or performance due to this hybrid stringing?

This about sums it up for me. No matter what the combination, the poly feel and low power dominates the stringbed...which makes sense because polyester will only bend so much, adding a softer string can't change that.

I gave up on poly and hybrids because I can't stand the lack of feel, even though the big swings are addictive. It did help me realize swinging harder doesn't always mean bigger, faster (read: better) shots...it just feels like more because you're swinging so freakin' hard.

I would only consider hybrids as a way of making a set of gut last longer--basically, economic reasons.

hoodjem
01-10-2009, 08:31 AM
I think it's also about durability and lack of string movement. And then trying to add some feel to those.

The polys almost never break, (but have almost no feel), so that covers the durability. So you add a multi or gut cross trying to given the stringbed some feel and touch.

As for power, I try to regulate that by dialing in the tension. As for spin, I try to gain that with thin gauges or hex strings.

Sorry if this diasagrees with anyone else's experience, but after trying my first poly hybrid I have seldom gone back to full-beds of anything. And when I did, I was disappointed.

Lindsay
01-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm using TT Bloodrunner( a great poly if you can get your hands on it) in the mains at 53 and Babolat VS Gut 17 in the crosses at 55 in a Prince EXO Rebel Team. I don't know my rating, but I played in college.

I like the hybrid because like a lot of people have said, it gives me a little more spin because the stiff string grips the ball better. The gut in the crosses is because I'm not strong enough to handle a full set of poly. I string my racquets fairly low so there is a little more dwell time on my strings and the lower tension pockets the ball better. As long as you have a fairly wristy swing, that lower tension will also give you a little more spin.