PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions for string tension for a Wilson classic Pro Staff 6.0 85?

Doulers
01-09-2009, 07:30 AM
I have a classic Wilson PS 6.0 85 that I am going to get re-strung soon. Will likely be using full natural gut (17g) or a good multi like Tecnifibre's NRG2 or X-1 Bi-Phase both also 17g. Does anyone have any good suggestions for string tension in order to increase the power and sweetspot?

The PS 85 is obviously a very low power racquet. I presently have it strung at 63 pounds with NRG2 16g. It takes a big swing to get the ball moving. I am looking to try and increase the power and sweetspot by lowering the tension, but I don't want to go too crazy so that it loses control.

Any suggestions on a good tension to string it at with either 17g natural gut or multifilament?

Thanks.

dozu
01-09-2009, 08:06 AM
63 is way too high imo..... i know sampras used to strung it tight, but he has a ton of lead tape on the racket.

I'd guess gut at high 50's is probably the best, for a 4.5 level player, who generates own power.

The racket will feel like a trampoline if you used to have it at 63, but you should be able to adjust and be able to swing more smoothly.

You must have been taking big cuts at 63, and I bet the ball won't have much juice on it, afer getting hit with basically a stiff board.

Doulers
01-09-2009, 08:20 AM
63 is way too high imo..... i know sampras used to strung it tight, but he has a ton of lead tape on the racket.

I'd guess gut at high 50's is probably the best, for a 4.5 level player, who generates own power.

The racket will feel like a trampoline if you used to have it at 63, but you should be able to adjust and be able to swing more smoothly.

You must have been taking big cuts at 63, and I bet the ball won't have much juice on it, afer getting hit with basically a stiff board.

I am a 4.0 to 4.5 level player. and yes, i did find it hard to generate power at 63. but 61 to 63 is what i string my wilson ncode 6.1 95 at and that is my main stick. i don't have too much trouble generating power with that set up but of course the head size is 10 inches larger. i just stuck to the same tension when i first got the PS strung. but i use the PS 85 mainly for fun sometime. i definitely need to lower the tension to increase the power though. just need to figure out a a good tension to use.

morten
01-09-2009, 09:23 AM
55lbs, prince sg multifilament...

stician
01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I am a 4.0 to 4.5 level player. and yes, i did find it hard to generate power at 63. but 61 to 63 is what i string my wilson ncode 6.1 95 at and that is my main stick. i don't have too much trouble generating power with that set up but of course the head size is 10 inches larger. i just stuck to the same tension when i first got the PS strung. but i use the PS 85 mainly for fun sometime. i definitely need to lower the tension to increase the power though. just need to figure out a a good tension to use.

you know the answer. 85/95 is .8947. Multiply it by 61 lbs gets you to 55 lbs. Legend 17 at 55 lbs is phenomenal with this stick, if your timing and footwork is on. At 4.0-4.5 player rating power isn't an issue if you get to the ball on time, no?

Doulers
01-09-2009, 11:05 AM
you know the answer. 85/95 is .8947. Multiply it by 61 lbs gets you to 55 lbs. Legend 17 at 55 lbs is phenomenal with this stick, if your timing and footwork is on. At 4.0-4.5 player rating power isn't an issue if you get to the ball on time, no?

That is correct. if i get to the ball in time and set up, power is generally not much of an issue for me. that is in fact why i prefer tensions as high as 63 pounds which i use on my wilson ncode 6.1 95 with natural gut or multifilament. my swing speed is moderately fast. so if i used tension as low as 55 with gut or a multi, i think i might be hitting the fence on a lot of shots. but with the PS 85, i found that 63 is too high for me. so i'll plan on bringing it down.

Valjean
01-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I have a classic Wilson PS 6.0 85 that I am going to get re-strung soon. Will likely be using full natural gut (17g) or a good multi like Tecnifibre's NRG2 or X-1 Bi-Phase both also 17g. Does anyone have any good suggestions for string tension in order to increase the power and sweetspot?

The PS 85 is obviously a very low power racquet. I presently have it strung at 63 pounds with NRG2 16g. It takes a big swing to get the ball moving. I am looking to try and increase the power and sweetspot by lowering the tension, but I don't want to go too crazy so that it loses control.

Any suggestions on a good tension to string it at with either 17g natural gut or multifilament?

Thanks.
Standard recommendation is to change tension no more than five lbs. at a time when restringing with the same string. As to tensioning "natural gut" when switching over from NRG2--there exists the same playability-durability continuum with natural gut, related to its stiffness in play, as there is with any other string material, so it has to matter with us which one you've picked out, too.