PDA

View Full Version : Is the Federer/Nadal domination era..

babbette
01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
..really over?:( Or do you think there's still a chance that Federer will return to his best?

David L
01-09-2009, 09:42 AM
..really over?:( Or do you think there's still a chance that Federer will return to his best?
Everything is possible, but I'll let you know for sure at the end of the year.

sheq
01-09-2009, 09:44 AM

no its over..its not all about roger..its about we have a guy that is best on hardcourts and alsı we have nole close to him..and nadal is not as sharp as before

drakulie
01-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Not necessarily, however, other players on tour are definitely catching up, and making things very interesting. They've raised the bar so high, that the other younger players are adjusting, and improving as well. Federer/Nadal are still at their best, but when others catch up>> they aren't going to win, and win, and win, etc, etc, etc.

Should be a very entertaining year.

World Beater
01-09-2009, 09:52 AM
nadal still is the best clay player by far...so he is relatively safe...federer's reign on HC is falling down and his grass reign will be severly challenged now that murray has improved his game.

zagor
01-09-2009, 09:55 AM
On HC tour is definitely catching up,on clay I think that it will still be a one-man show in Nadal and on grass maybe it won't be just about Fed and Nadal this year,maybe guys like Tsonga or Murray could make thing more interesting even at Wimbledon,especially Murray who is improving rapidly as a player and has crowd support there.

TennezSport
01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Things may not be as easy for Rafa either anymore as the list of players that can trouble him is growing along with the challanges. Clay is still the safest surface for him as he is the master of that surface, but I think physically is where Rafa will pay the price. He finally admits in the latest issue of the USRSA Daily News (DailyTennisNews@racquettech.com) that the pressure of being #1 and the amount of play will be hard on him and his knees.

Rafael Nadal admits the grueling demands of being the world's no.1 ranked tennis player proved too hard a physical challenge to overcome last year and is fearful the same could again happen in 2009.

After a momentous season that saw him become the first player since Bjorn Borg 27 years earlier to lift both trophies of the French Open and Wimbledon, unseat Roger Federer at the top of the ATP world rankings after a stay of 237 weeks and then win an Olympic gold medal, Nadal finally pulled up lame before the climax at the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai.

Nadal was also unable to spearhead the Spanish team in their Davis Cup final triumph over Argentina and this current year promises to be no less relentless. "There is no solution to this," maintained the 22 year-old megastar. "I can't think of another formula to keep me in the top position. I just have to keep playing."

Tendonitis below both knees has long been a problem for Nadal and he never plays without the two supportive bandages. A specific injury to his right knee, suffered during the Paris Masters Series event in Bercy forced him to withdraw from Shanghai and then the Spanish final team event.

But he was playing under physical duress for most weeks after the Olympics. "You can't have everything your way so I am expecting the same things again in 2009,"he said.

After winning eight of the 18 events he entered in 2008, Nadal is the most in demand player on the men's circuit. Tournament directors are willing to festoon him with massive guarantees to appear in their events and only last week he added to his calendar by joining arch rival Roger Federer in the non-tour exhibition in Abu Dhabi. Doubtless the presence of his and Federer's agents IMG in the tournament hierarchy played its part.

Otherwise Nadal's itinerary seems similar to last year. He lost in the semi-finals this week in Doha and still intends to play the AEGON (formerly Artois) Championships at London's Queen's Club in the week immediately after the French Open.

"Tell me one that I don't have to play," he said as he went through his schedule. "Otherwise I don't play any tournaments outside the mandatory ones. These things happen if you win a lot of matches…and I won a lot of matches last year."

As I have said on many occasion, 2K9 will be a very interesting year.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Nuke
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Federer will never "return to his best." But he can still win a few titles here and there, and maybe a couple of Grand Slam events. He won't dominate like he did in the past few years. Age catches up with everyone.

FraNkcn
01-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Federer will never "return to his best." But he can still win a few titles here and there, and maybe a couple of Grand Slam events. He won't dominate like he did in the past few years. Age catches up with everyone.

This is the absolute truth, and yes 2009 will be a very good year.
But just like Sampras and Agassi proved, just cause you're older, doesn't mean you still can't whip those youngin's in to shape. ^^

drakulie
01-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Age catches up with everyone.

"AGE"' has not caught up with him>>> more like the rest of the field has drastically improved.

TennezSport
01-09-2009, 10:19 AM

While I agree with most of what you say, I do not think that age is a factor yet as according to research the ages of 25 to 30/32 are the strongest for men, so Fed should be perfect now. However, the ability to recover gets a little harder as you age. I believe the mental issue is the problem for Fed now as his confidence is shaken as the other players gain ground.

2K9 will be a very interesting year to see if Fed can get the confidence back and also to see if Rafa can physically make it.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

GameSampras
01-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Even if Fed was "at his best" Murray would give him one hell of a problem. Murray DID beat Fed during Fed's 04-06 Run. He beat him at Cincinatti. Murray is like a Cyborg version of how Hewitt used to be. Except with a bigger serve and more to his arsenal. If Djoker and Murray werent around and Nadal was still a young pup, Fed would still be getting his 3 slams a year and winning a buttload of tournaments like he did before

ksbh
01-09-2009, 10:22 AM
When it matters most, Nadal & Federer will step it up. These 2 are very very special. It's a mistake to write them off.

I don't know about the AO but the FO, Wimbledon & the US Open will be taken by one of Nadal or Federer!

JankovicFan
01-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Nadal and Federer are 5 years apart and different player generations. They should be considered separately, unless merely referring to the long running #1-2 pairing. It certainly looks like Federer will eventually fall back, increasingly inconsistent, but he will more likely be displaced by Murray, not Djokovic.

I just don't see Murray being a consistent threat going forward, because he can't do it without being in extreme training. That cannot be sustained indefinitely. For Federer, on the other hand, being physically capable is more natural. His issues are more in UEs and subpar first serve percentage. If he seriously tires, it certainly doesn't look like it.

fastdunn
01-09-2009, 10:51 AM
In general, clay is not the safest surface at all. It's the most neutralizing surface. It gives the most chance to new up and comers with ...... desire, burning desire.

Grass used to be the hardest to run. The bounce and footwork on them. Plus grass season is so short it's hard to get any experience on it. So once you dominate it, it is somewhat protected. Sampras' 8 year domination, for example.

But you know grass court tennis used to be very different from the rest of tour. Not any more. Nadal and Federer will not dominate there as much as last 3 year there any more. Federer was stopped at Wimbledon last year but he still pretty good chance to win there again. New up and comers still need more time to get to know the surface...

tennisgirl90
01-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Their authoritarian domination is over, but I'm sure they will win yet some Slams in the future. There are just a few good upcoming youngster, but it's not like Murray is gonna everything now.

vtmike
01-09-2009, 11:24 AM
When it matters most, Nadal & Federer will step it up. These 2 are very very special. It's a mistake to write them off.

I don't know about the AO but the FO, Wimbledon & the US Open will be taken by one of Nadal or Federer!

Yeah you are right.....Both players really perform at a different level alltogether in grand slams! lets see if Murray can match up their level of play then.....everyone is always very quick to jump on bandwagons.....Let him win a grandslam first!
all this hoopla just based on a Qatar Open '09 semi final... sheesh :rolleyes:

rubberduckies
01-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Nadal still has his clay court domination. Murray and Djokovic have all but erased the gap on hard court. Simon is very dangerous despite the unfair criticism he gets in these boards. Tsonga is deadly. The player I'm looking forward to is Gulbis. He can hit people off the court in a way that nobody else can. If he can muster a Tsonga/Simon/Del Potro-like breakthrough this year and then a Murray/Djokovic-like breakthrough the next, then watch out.

JankovicFan
01-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Nadal still has his clay court domination. Murray and Djokovic have all but erased the gap on hard court. Simon is very dangerous despite the unfair criticism he gets in these boards. Tsonga is deadly. The player I'm looking forward to is Gulbis. He can hit people off the court in a way that nobody else can. If he can muster a Tsonga/Simon/Del Potro-like breakthrough this year and then a Murray/Djokovic-like breakthrough the next, then watch out.

More Gulbis-Schmulbis. He needs to do something better than a QF or two. Being rich, reasonably good looking, and hitting UEs with power and pinnache is not good enough. People talk about him like he is a peer of the top 10, when he definitely has yet to prove himself and get even in the same league. He has fallen in ranking rather than risen. Good luck to him, but he ain't a star...not yet.

ksbh
01-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Exactly! But that's the way things are in this forum :)

Yeah you are right.....Both players really perform at a different level alltogether in grand slams! lets see if Murray can match up their level of play then.....everyone is always very quick to jump on bandwagons.....Let him win a grandslam first!
all this hoopla just based on a Qatar Open '09 semi final... sheesh :rolleyes:

tennis-hero
01-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Murray has always had one of the best minds in the game.... he "knows" how to play against Roger.

When Andy "learns" to go deep at hardcourt slams, then he's going to win, i think its his time

which kinda sucks, because even though i am a fan, and i do hope he wins Wimbledon.... i personally find his game to be boring.... there's no magic

Roger has magic whenever he plays well

Nadal's athleticism and his amazing defense have always been great to watch as well- Nadal finally winning at Wimbledon was 4 years in the making - 05- sucked on grass 06- surprise finalist got blown off court by Roger 07- went toe to toe with Roger in a great contest 08- went toe to toe with Roger and dethroned the king

Murray.... eh, i don't know- solid player, great backhand, great speed, amazing first serve- solid tactics.... but his game just screams "safe/boring"

aphex
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
as much as i hate to agree with the nadalites, i'm not blind...
yes, the best of federer is behind us--there is not that spark, that explosiveness anymore...he 's lost that half-step we talk about-that half step that makes all the difference...

yes he will win 2-3 more slams, but we will never again have those moments (i dont know if anyone else had them:)) that you sat there in front of your tv smiling, unable to believe what you were watching...

the notion that he's losing because of the new guys is ridiculous btw...'04-'06 federer would've demolished the murrays and djokovics like he did everyone else...