PDA

View Full Version : Let's Hear It for the Sleeveless

Love Game
01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2airfja.jpg

I spy with my little eye: Two players wearing sleeveless in this picture portraying the start of the season. (I know they do these things in advance, but I can still hope it means there's a chance Rafa will wear sleeveless for the AO and beyond.)

Bottom line: There was a time that sleeveless was banned, and I initially hated sleeveless ... until I saw rafa in wimby 2008. After that I was like the scene in the movie "10" where the man and woman are running toward each other in slow motion, iow, blinded by the light.

In Doha yesterday monfils was wearing the red sleeveless (the nike that rafa had been wearing in USO) and rafa was wearing his new bold stripe polo, but monfils won soooooo ........

Nadal_Freak
01-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Sleeveless rules. Nadal should go back to sleeveless imo. It is intimidating as well if you got the guns.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Sleeveless shirts are good if you have the guns to match. Rafa looks terrible in that polo, his style is brute topspinner. You can't really do that in a polo with a shirt pocket.

Love Game
01-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I agree w/both of you.

button-down rafa?
just doesnt make sense.

SempreSami
01-09-2009, 03:48 PM
You guys are strangely fixated with Nadal's arms, why don't you lot just get out of the closet and start campaigning for him to play topless. :roll:

veroniquem
01-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Long live the sleeveless! Nadal should go back to it, he looks too restrained in polo shirts. The guy exudes raw energy...

NickC
01-09-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't mind the sleeveless. I hate the capris.

babbette
01-09-2009, 03:51 PM
I like him in anything but I do miss his old look. I think he does too. At times he looks uncomfortable with his shirt. It's one thing to wear those for practise for one hour but when you're in a physically demanding match, since he sweats a lot, it's a different thing.:(

Hopefully this whole look will go away before RG and we can pretend this fashion faux pas never happened. :mrgreen:

kungfusmkim
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I like him wearing the sleeves better than the sleeveless. It look like you guys never seen people wear a muscle shirt... or been to abercrombie. On top of that he looks more formal. Tennis is a formal sport. Rafa isnt a raging teen anymore his actually over 20 so i think it suits his age

babbette
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
You guys are strangely fixated with Nadal's arms, why don't you lot just get out of the closet and start campaigning for him to play topless. :roll:

mmmmmm...thinks

babbette
01-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I like him wearing the sleeves better than the sleeveless. It look like you guys never seen people wear a muscle shirt... or been to abercrombie. On top of that he looks more formal. Tennis is a formal sport. Rafa isnt a raging teen anymore his actually over 20 so i think it suits his age

they messed with an international brand by covering up those guns!:evil: lol.:) but let's face it, Rafa's look, fitting with his attitude on court, was one thing that attracted many non-tennis people to the game. Lil wayne likes him too for gods sakes. :mrgreen: Now he loks like any other player. If I came into tennis now, I would say what's the big deal? other than he's number 1 of course

kungfusmkim
01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
they messed with an international brand by covering up those guns!:evil: lol.:) but let's face it, Rafa's look, fitting with his attitude on court, was one thing that attracted many non-tennis people to the game. Lil wayne likes him too for gods sakes. :mrgreen: Now he loks like any other player. If I came into tennis now, I would say what's the big deal? other than he's number 1 of course

Then thats like asking would you like a your grandmother who is a wild granny to be in booty shorts and a sleeveless on a motorcycle? Im just trying to say... maybe his trying soo hard to grow up He might want to be appreciated and look professional infront all those rich people!

Oui, c'est moi.
01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I can't do it.
I consider underarm hair to be unsightly.
If the sleeveless men were to shave just like a lot of sleeveless women do i would be ok to look at it.

babbette
01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Then thats like asking would you like a your grandmother who is a wild granny to be in booty shorts and a sleeveless on a motorcycle? Im just trying to say... maybe his trying soo hard to grow up He might want to be appreciated and look professional infront all those rich people!

but he's only a baby...22.:( why can't he do him and not have to fit into the mould of what a number 1 tennis player should be?:( Moya's old arse is still sporting the look...why should Rafa have to deprive us of some viewing pleasure?:cry:

Nadal_Freak
01-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah seriously he needs to go back. That intimidating bicep fist pump just brings him out more. I guess he feels he needs to change for some reason.

veroniquem
01-09-2009, 04:07 PM
You're likening Nadal to a grandmother :shock:. You know he's 22 right? Even in the context of a tennis career, that's young.

babbette
01-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah seriously he needs to go back. That intimidating bicep fist pump just brings him out more. I guess he feels he needs to change for some reason.

I blame uncle toni and pr..because I can. :mrgreen:
next thing you know they'll tell him to rub the hottest pepper all over his hands so that if he attempts to pick his arse again, it will burn.:cry:

babbette
01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
You're likening Nadal to a grandmother :shock:. You know he's 22 right? Even in the context of a tennis career, that's young.
people forget he's only 22.:( when I tell my dad he's shocked.:(

kungfusmkim
01-09-2009, 04:10 PM
but he's only a baby...22.:( why can't he do him and not have to fit into the mould of what a number 1 tennis player should be?:( Moya's old arse is still sporting the look...why should Rafa have to deprive us of some viewing pleasure?:cry:

Its like the stage where big boys want to try new things such as taking off training wheels because everybody else did and also because he feels he is older. Or a person trying to look older by idk putting stuff in there hair and wearing Ralph Lauren. Nadal is the same. He wants to look older now. Remember when Agassi cut his hair got a new look no more wild child?

veroniquem
01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I can't do it.
If the sleeveless men were to shave just like a lot of sleeveless women do i would be ok to look at it.
Says the person with the guy brandishing his naked armpit at us in her/his avatar :-? (I do agree that a new avatar is needed :))

Oui, c'est moi.
01-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Says the person with the guy brandishing his naked armpit at us in her/his avatar :-? (I do agree that a new avatar is needed :))
I don't see any naked armpit.

I'll change mine if you change yours, you've had that one longer.

babbette
01-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Its like the stage where big boys want to try new things such as taking off training wheels because everybody else did and also because he feels he is older. Or a person trying to look older by idk putting stuff in there hair and wearing Ralph Lauren. Nadal is the same. He wants to look older now. Remember when Agassi cut his hair got a new look no more wild child?

let's not even go there. This is as drastic a change as si'm willing to take at the moment. :mrgreen:

kungfusmkim
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Nadal is the classic version of agassi but moderated level. Agassi was pulling commercial cannon, graham crackers everything! Then he decided to change cause he grew up:D! Everybody was wierded out then they got used to it and starting even liking it.

veroniquem
01-09-2009, 04:24 PM
I don't see any naked armpit.

I'll change mine if you change yours, you've had that one longer.
You can imagine it, it's worse. I don't have a topless picture of my guy for an avie, so I'm surprised to find out that you are the prudish one (repelled by the sight of hair- and sweat!) when your hero is parading on everyone of your messages naked for everyone around to see!

kungfusmkim
01-09-2009, 04:31 PM
You can imagine it, it's worse. I don't have a topless picture of my guy for an avie, so I'm surprised to find out that you are the prudish one (repelled by the sight of hair- and sweat!) when your hero is parading on everyone of your messages naked for everyone around to see!

I mean jeesh basketball players do it, Swimmers do it anywhere they see hair so i dont really see what the problem is..

veroniquem
01-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I mean jeesh basketball players do it, Swimmers do it anywhere they see hair so i dont really see what the problem is..
I don't either but "oui c'est moi" said she doesn't like to see guys' armpits. I pointed out it was funny since she's the only one to have a topless guy in her avie...

Oui, c'est moi.
01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
How does that make me prudish? :? I said i find underarm hair unsightly. In my culture it is considered unsightly, i hope you understand now what i meant.
And sweat? Where did i mention that?

He is topless, not naked. Your very idea of 'naked' is making you sound prudish...

I didn't ask you to pick a topless pic of YOUR guy (is you name Xisca by any chance?), i just suggested a change.

babbette
01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ic2mqh.jpg
:(

kungfusmkim
01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't either but "oui c'est moi" said she doesn't like to see guys' armpits. I pointed out it was funny since she's the only one to have a topless guy in her avie...

Shes french isnt she? shes probably surrounded by metrosexuals. alot of europeans are. If men started wearing man bags i think they already shaved everwhere they possibly can.

veroniquem
01-09-2009, 04:42 PM
How does that make me prudish? :? I said i find underarm hair unsightly. In my culture it is considered unsightly, i hope you understand now what i meant.
And sweat? Where did i mention that?

He is topless, not naked. Your very idea of 'naked' is making you sound prudish...

I didn't ask you to pick a topless pic of YOUR guy (is you name Xisca by any chance?), i just suggested a change.
What culture is that? You sure realize that Federer is showing his armpit on your avie, no? If it's Ok for Fed I don't understand why it would bother you for Nadal but no big deal, never mind...

kungfusmkim
01-09-2009, 04:42 PM
http://viatennis.smakdesign.com.au/vtp/images/card_rafa.jpg:)

Oui, c'est moi.
01-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Again, i don't see his (Federer's) hairy armpits.
Armpits are not a problem for me, man or woman. I just think if you're going to brandish them for hours on end, at least shave.

kungfusmkim
01-09-2009, 04:47 PM
What culture is that? You sure realize that Federer is showing his armpit on your avie, no? If it's Ok for Fed I don't understand why it would bother you for Nadal but no big deal, never mind...

Let me help before you get her blood pressure up to 4000. her culture is from france one of world's, top fashion cities. And men are mostly metrox which means... They act as a stereotypical homosexual in the eyes of americans you know, wearing brands, caring about getting things dirty, fussy when people touch their perfect hair and all. However, they still are hetero

Oui, c'est moi.
01-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Shes french isnt she? shes probably surrounded by metrosexuals. alot of europeans are. If men started wearing man bags i think they already shaved everwhere they possibly can.
Umm, veroniquem is French not me.

kungfusmkim
01-09-2009, 04:49 PM
LOL okay so veroniquem lives in france and he doesnt see whats soo wrong with shaving?

Oui, c'est moi.
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
You do realise his armpits can't be seen in the avie, yes?
And since when did i make comparisons between Roger and Nadal here? The thread mentions Moya and Delpo too. Maybe you read into things that were never there. :/
Like the thing about me being prudish. That came out of thin air too.

I am British but i was specifically talking about the foster culture i grew up in. Growing up I lived in largely Muslim area and even lived with a Muslim family for while (they are family friends). Anyone who is familiar with Islamic practices will know that even the men are expected to shave their underarms.

ilovecarlos
01-09-2009, 05:07 PM

***coughs***....Moya's old arse?????
He's got a great body...still!!!!!

veroniquem
01-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Actually I am French and I don't mind hair (or metrosexuals for that matter!)

veroniquem
01-09-2009, 05:24 PM
You do realise his armpits can't be seen in the avie, yes?
And since when did i make comparisons between Roger and Nadal here? The thread mentions Moya and Delpo too. Maybe you read into things that were never there. :/
Like the thing about me being prudish. That came out of thin air too.

I am British but i was specifically talking about the foster culture i grew up in. Growing up I lived in largely Muslim area and even lived with a Muslim family for while (they are family friends). Anyone who is familiar with Islamic practices will know that even the men are expected to shave their underarms.
Thank you for answering my question about culture, it's very interesting, I didn't know about that islamic custom (even though I had Algerian and Moroccan friends in France). I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the avie but as I said before, it's no big deal.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Are they using US Open balls? If they do, I learned something today then.

EDIT: 600th post! :D

klementine79
01-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Damn those sleeve-less international players with cute english accents. Moya and Nadal are the reason that nike denied my Wimbledon Wetsuit Tennis Line. PAT#-34789001-32-098.

Love Game
01-09-2009, 11:49 PM

Here's what I don't understand about the whole age/maturity issue regarding the wearing of the sleeveless:

gael monfils.

i've never seen anyone write that monfils needs to dress according to his age, needs to mature, he's too old for the sleeveless. why?

he and rafa are the same age.
both born 1986. rafa june. gael september.
and yet i've been seeing people writing about how rafa needs to wear the more "mature" polo for at least 6 months. not a word about gael.

http://i39.tinypic.com/s61y1c.jpg
(9 january 2009)

given rafa's losses in qatar and ?the one before that? wearing the polo, i say he needs to go back to sleeveless, because that's the way he's comfortable.

p.s. once gael beats federer ?3? times in one year, the calls will become loud for him to wear a polo, too, I suspect.

Love Game
01-09-2009, 11:51 PM
mmmmmm...thinks

good one! :lol:

Love Game
01-09-2009, 11:56 PM
I can't do it.

that's the objection I had, too.
and it's probably the reason it was previously banned.

although, i have seen 1 or 2 women with it, and that was just as disconcerting.

zagor
01-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Of course they shouldn't be banned,why uniform the sport in such way? I'm all for variety in playing styles,personalities and clothing.I agree with those who say Nadal should go back to sleeveless,it suits his personality and game like a glove IMO,also showing off his defined guns helps promote tennis as more of a "macho" sport so it may appeal or attract larger audience(those who are not hardcore tennis fans).Nadal just doesn't look like himself in polo IMO.

As for Nadal needing to dress more mature or that he needs to dress more according to his age,just look at Moya and Blake,both of them are some of the nicest and mature guys on tour and they're still wearing the sleeveless even at their respective ages(29 and 32).There's nothing wrong in that IMO.

Love Game
01-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Of course they shouldn't be banned,why uniform the sport in such way? I'm all for variety in playing styles,personalities and clothing.I agree with those who say Nadal should go back to sleeveless,it suits his personality and game like a glove IMO,also showing off his defined guns helps promote tennis as more of a "macho" sport so it may appeal or attract larger audience(those who are not hardcore tennis fans).Nadal just doesn't look like himself in polo IMO.

i particularly agree about the "macho" aspect. i've sometimes heard that some men dont believe tennis is a macho sport to begin with, and that attitude affects both their viewing habits as well as which sports they choose for themselves to play.

on the other hand, those same "macho men" might not have the guns to wear the sleeveless! :lol:

youre right about the personality match. and i have a hard time believing rafa's gonna stick with the polo. i really hope he doesn't.

babbette
01-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Look at him....he just couldn't wait to wear sleeveless again! :p
http://i43.tinypic.com/vpgbqq.jpg

Love Game
01-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Look at him....he just couldn't wait to wear sleeveless again!

ahhhhhh!!!!! music to my eyes! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_7.gif

I simply cant imagine those arms with tan lines across the biceps! :mad:

norbac
01-13-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm not a huge Rafa fan, but he looks so much better in sleveless. It's just his trademark, plus it also set the tone for his rivalry with Fed, the sleveless vs. the polo.

adlis
01-13-2009, 05:07 PM
i particularly agree about the "macho" aspect. i've sometimes heard that some men dont believe tennis is a macho sport to begin with, and that attitude affects both their viewing habits as well as which sports they choose for themselves to play.

on the other hand, those same "macho men" might not have the guns to wear the sleeveless! :lol:

youre right about the personality match. and i have a hard time believing rafa's gonna stick with the polo. i really hope he doesn't.

Macho?

http://www.rafael-nadal.net/images/110108.jpg

veroniquem
01-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Here's what I don't understand about the whole age/maturity issue regarding the wearing of the sleeveless:

gael monfils.

i've never seen anyone write that monfils needs to dress according to his age, needs to mature, he's too old for the sleeveless. why?

and yet i've been seeing people writing about how rafa needs to wear the more "mature" polo for at least 6 months. not a word about gael.

(9 january 2009)

given rafa's losses in qatar and ?the one before that? wearing the polo, i say he needs to go back to sleeveless, because that's the way he's comfortable.

p.s. once gael beats federer ?3? times in one year, the calls will become loud for him to wear a polo, too, I suspect.
It's 4, Nadal beat Federer 4 times this year :) (Monte-Carlo, Hamburg, RG and Wimbledon)

cknobman
01-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Sleeveless shirts are fine I just dont think they should be the only thing in a persons wardrobe.

Now capris on the other hand, I wouldnt mind seeing them go.

veroniquem
01-14-2009, 06:06 AM

As for Nadal needing to dress more mature or that he needs to dress more according to his age,just look at Moya and Blake,both of them are some of the nicest and mature guys on tour and they're still wearing the sleeveless even at their respective ages(29 and 32).There's nothing wrong in that IMO.
Exactly, it's more a matter of body type than age. McEnroe is hilarious in them, you have to appreciate that guy's sense of humor!

veroniquem
01-14-2009, 06:08 AM
Sleeveless shirts are fine I just dont think they should be the only thing in a persons wardrobe.

Now capris on the other hand, I wouldnt mind seeing them go.
I couldn't disagree more about the capris. I miss them tremendously, they were the best innovation ever in tennis outfits especially since a lot of guys have so-so legs.

adlis
01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
arms fail the musclesuit test

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8830/0eac2bea7663591a5083aa8tj6.jpg

veroniquem
01-14-2009, 05:26 PM
ahhhhhh!!!!! music to my eyes! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_7.gif

I simply cant imagine those arms with tan lines across the biceps! :mad:
It would be a shame :(

itisgregory
01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
I love playing sleeveless! I thought is was a bit "gay" when I saw others go sleeveless then I tried it and never looked back. I live in an extremely humid city 6 months of the year so it makes sense. I am much more comfortable which means I play slightly better.

Love Game
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
I love playing sleeveless! I thought is was a bit "gay" when I saw others go sleeveless then I tried it and never looked back. I live in an extremely humid city 6 months of the year so it makes sense. I am much more comfortable which means I play slightly better.

that's what i think. the comfort level.
how hideously uncomfortable does this look?
http://i42.tinypic.com/xm4ye8.jpg
practicing at AO ... be afraid. be very afraid! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_100.gif

TheTruth
01-17-2009, 05:19 PM

Total perfection! What an avie!

kungfusmkim
01-17-2009, 05:21 PM

gael monfils.

(9 january 2009)

The last time i checked monfils wasnt the new face of tennis is he?

TheTruth
01-17-2009, 05:23 PM
He's got a great body...still!!!!!

ROFL @ you! Funny post!

TheTruth
01-17-2009, 05:27 PM

gael monfils.

(9 january 2009)

Could it be...gulp...nitpicking for no reason, lol! Nothing is said about Moya (as a rule either), or Del Potro...hmmm...You've got a point there, Love Game. Would love to see someone answer the why. It has me stumped too!

TheTruth
01-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Look at him....he just couldn't wait to wear sleeveless again! :p

Stop with the pictures, Babbette! It's sooo distracting. I'm trying to post here. Gosh he looks good in vivid colors!

TheTruth
01-17-2009, 05:31 PM
arms fail the musclesuit test

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8830/0eac2bea7663591a5083aa8tj6.jpg

Hilarious!

TheTruth
01-17-2009, 05:34 PM
I like the contrast in styles, but then I love originality and detest cookie cutter ideas, views, and expectations.

TheMusicLover
01-17-2009, 10:07 PM
This thread is utterly HILARIOUS.

Anyone who ever saw Rafa off-court, knows that he more often than not wears polo-shirts in private. And he feels pretty much comfortable wearing those. Let the guy BE, for godsakes.

Love Game
01-19-2009, 02:06 PM
This thread is utterly HILARIOUS.

Anyone who ever saw Rafa off-court, knows that he more often than not wears polo-shirts in private. And he feels pretty much comfortable wearing those. Let the guy BE, for godsakes.

That isn't really the point, is it?
The point is that the sleeveless used to be banned, could not be worn on a tennis court during a tournament, according to the rules. Some people have expressed a desire to go back to those "bad old days." Are you one of those? (It's okay if you are -- don't be afraid to admit it :razz:)

Whatever Rafa does in private I have no idea, and it's none of our business.

But what he does on the tennis court. Now that's public and on display. And some of us want to see those gorgeous genetics from the tops of those delicious delts to the tops of those color-coordinated wrist bands.

Got a problem with that?

C-XIII
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I really hope they dont ban it. There goes that nonformal look that was attracting people to the sport.it should be each persons choice of how they want to look.

adlis
05-03-2009, 05:16 PM
federers fall 09 outfit

http://i1.tinypic.com/48cq4ns.jpg

icedevil0289
05-03-2009, 05:18 PM
federers fall 09 outfit

lol. I think that was during an exhibition match with andre during IW.

adlis
05-03-2009, 05:42 PM
lol. I think that was during an exhibition match with andre during IW.

fed when he was invincible with his ncode, happy days

clayman2000
05-03-2009, 06:27 PM
federers fall 09 outfit

Wow, Fed's hair is long in that pic. His hair has been getting shorter so slowly that when you go back to like 04 you forget how long it was

JoshDragon
05-03-2009, 06:46 PM

That's because Andre went bald.

vtmike
05-03-2009, 07:13 PM

Wow! You've got a serious crush on Nadal and his biceps haven't you?

Cyan
05-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Stop with the pictures, Babbette! It's sooo distracting. I'm trying to post here. Gosh he looks good in vivid colors!

He looks good in anything. He is that hot!

ttwarrior1
05-04-2009, 10:31 AM
someone send this poll to whoever runs the usta or the officials or whoever

Leublu tennis
05-04-2009, 12:24 PM
He's got a great body...still!!!!!I am an old arse. And I don't have a great body. But I have a tatoo like Moya. Even wear sleaveless in the summer to shock people.

Leublu tennis
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM
federers fall 09 outfit

http://i1.tinypic.com/48cq4ns.jpgThats a fantastic picture. He looks terrible!