PDA

View Full Version : Need Good Lasting Hybrid/How to convince dad

zeratul90
01-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Ok well...I just broke my strings today and my dad won't let me buy new strings (he says he had a bunch of old strings somewhere up on the attic - like over 20years old). Well he won't let me buy new strings because he says that the durability is crap and that it'll only affect 1/10 of my game right now (he's saying this because he played with the same racquet/strings for over 10years - strings haven't broken yet). Yeah I know technically that's untrue but he won't listen to me.

SO...can someone give me some suggestions on a hybrid that'll last long? (Over 4months hopefully, I don't restring till they break). The current strings I'm using is in my sig, I hit fairly flat on my fh though I'm starting to hit more topspin, and my bh is usually hit with a good amount of topspin. I play at the very least 10hours a week. Oh and suggestions how to convince my dad would help too! Thanks!

TheSubdude
01-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Tell him in an effort to save money you found these free strings on the internet - http://www.protennis.us/m2request.asp - and have ordered a set sent to your home, your buddies home and your other buddies home so that you'll have three sets of free, durable, awesome string for your racket. But your thriftiness takes 4 - 6 weeks to arrive so PLEASE help me out until then.

chang10is
01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
If you're playing with PHT (or any other poly/co-poly), using it for 160+ hours of play time at 10+ hours/week for 4 months until it breaks is not a good idea. Polyester and co-poly strings will go dead well before that, and playing with dead polyester strings is bad for the arm and joints. Did you have to straighten your PHT strings all the time? If so, your strings were dead. Check out this string guide: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=184942

Tell your dad that playing with dead strings is bad for the arm and joints and could end up costing more money if you end up having to go to see a doctor. When a string goes dead, it's unable to absorb shock, and that shock is then transferred to your arm instead.

You might not want to hear this, but the old strings in your attic are probably still fine to use. What kind of strings are they?

Thinking more long-term, if you don't already have a stringing machine, it would be very cost-effective to get one if you continue playing tennis this much. You should be changing out your strings about once a month if you play that much every week. Stringing costs would definitely add up over time.

If you have access to a stringing machine, a hybrid of Topspin Cyberflash 17 and Gosen OG Sheep 16 is a solid value, especially if you buy them in reels.

NickC
01-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Your dad must be a pusher. Don't break one set of strings in 10 years? That's as bad as it comes, my friend.

tennisfreak15347
01-12-2009, 05:54 PM
you've used your strings for over 160 hours? that is very bad on your arm and your game. and your dad hasn't broken strings in 10 years? he must be playing once a year.

Kevo
01-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Just use the old strings and work like mad on your topspin for the next few days. Then when they pop really quick maybe you can just explain that they must have gone past their use by date.

sk8ing
01-12-2009, 08:09 PM
who cares the strings dont make you better, you do
but u can just buy a hybrid id reccoment hybrids liek nxt and alu power
but honestly who cares how long it takes him to break his strings all they do is lose a bit of tension that you wont notice