PDA

View Full Version : Does It matter?

Knightmace
01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Whe you are about to do your serve, do you guys stand in the same spot behind the baseline or do you change to depend on which shot you want to take? Does it really matter or is it all in the serve?

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
you can use the baseline as one of your weapons, if you continue serving to different spots on from different places, your opponent has to be on his toes. Wouldnt recommend this unless your serve is decent or gives you time to recouperate.

oneguy21
01-09-2009, 07:32 PM
You should stay in the same spot. I try to stand as close to the center line as possible, since then the ball would travel less distance. If you vary your spot based upon your serve placement your opponent would quickly pick this up.

wihamilton
01-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Whe you are about to do your serve, do you guys stand in the same spot behind the baseline or do you change to depend on which shot you want to take? Does it really matter or is it all in the serve?

Moving around definitely makes it easier to create angles. But a thinking opponent will pick up on your tendencies pretty quick if you don't vary them. Also, moving too far to the sideline opens up too much court for your opponent to return into.

Mike Cottrill
01-09-2009, 07:52 PM
I move around more in doubles, not so much in singles.
In doubles for example:
Ad court to righty, I stand out wide most of the time and go out wide if their backhand is much weaker than forehand.. Of course if you do this all the time they get it.. so give them some out wide then standing out wide, hit the tee to mix it up.. Then set up close to the tee and they think down the middle, and I give them a body shot or go out wide. Of course that is if I do not double fault. Maybe I think too much in doubles.

Singles, I pretty much stay set two to three feet from the tee.

LeeD
01-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Everyone is correct.
While moving around can help against an unawares lesser player, at some level, they can spot the big opening you are leaving and hit out harder to that side, possibly causing you to get on the defensive.
One good thing about doubles, you learn to serve and return from out wide, and playing singles, most players want to serve from the middle for the shortest court up the middle for their first serves.
Disguise appears to be 30% of the service effectiveness, so if you hit every serve from the same spot, they can't pick up tendencies.

TsongaEatingAPineappleLol
01-10-2009, 10:06 AM
You can certainly do more with your serve where you stand up to the service line when you serve. For example, rotating your body and/or pointing yourself somewhere at the service box creates angles for the returner. Plus, after getting back into position you need to adjust back to the middle.