PDA

View Full Version : Tsonga compared to Djokovic and Murray

Leublu tennis
01-09-2009, 07:09 PM
They all started at 16, but Tsonga languished outside of top 100 for the first five years. I seem to recall that he had some kind of physical problems but I gather that they have been cured.

So at 21 Tsonga takes off and ends the year 2007 in #43. By end of 2008, he is in top 10.

Tsonga and Murray are 1 – 1 but, since the last AO, Tsonga has beaten Djokovic three times. Just for comparison, Djokovic is 4 – 2 against Murray.

So where is Tsonga going to go? Davydenko has a record of 4 – 3 against Murray, 2- 0 with Tsonga, and 1 – 2 against Djokovic. But he is now 27 and I think he will likely begin to fade by the end of the year.

Tsonga has certainly looked good recently; so has Murray. With Djokovic, we just don’t know.

Quo vadis, Tsonga?

slicefox
01-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I like how he plays, if he can improve his consistency he'll be a good player. He makes too many unforced errors, that's whats bringing him down. Otherwise, he has good drop volley and good tactics.

DarthFed
01-09-2009, 09:43 PM
umm 27? Tsonga is 23

Leublu tennis
01-10-2009, 02:05 AM
No, no. What I am saying is that Davydenko is 27. Just poorly structured sentence.

tacou
01-10-2009, 09:35 AM
it's very hard to say, worst case (if his injuries are done) I see him hanging around top 25 the rest of his career. if he can clean up his game a little bit, and he seems to be working very hard to improve it, I don't see why Tsonga couldn't be a world #1, albeit a brief one.

He's got all the tools to win all the slams outside the french and he's proven to be mentally pretty strong unlike his compatriots. do I think Tsonga will be a multiple slam winner? probably not, with a guy like him it's really impossible to tell.

EPaps
01-10-2009, 10:02 AM
I like Tsonga's game. I also like that he looks like Muhammad Ali :)

TennezSport
01-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Tsonga is a really talented player, very natural but his problems are physical and probably always will be. He needs to get in the greatest shape of his life, not only to avoid injury but to stay with the top players out there. Can he do it??? I think that he can, but like Rafa injury will always have a say in his history.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

miyagi
01-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Tsonga strikes me as the type of player that when he is on, he is unbeatable....I doubt he can be consistant though.....he may win one slam.

If he doesnt do it this year I dont see him doing it ever!

Think Djoko is his own worst enemy and when he is slightly off he has destroyed any chances of winning by beating himself up.

Murray I think shares some of the issues that Djoko has....basically his temperament is a big issue for me, everyone can win when they are playing great and are ahead of their opponent. Then we will see what his body is like performing at the top of game week in week out and consistantly going deep in tourneys.

TheTruth
01-10-2009, 02:47 PM
^^^
Very nice post!