PDA

View Full Version : how to control the 1hand backhand spin

crazypro
01-09-2009, 09:10 PM
I've been practicing 1hand backhand for couple months and i got somewhat consistent. However, sometimes i just get too much spin and the ball goes to the net... is there any way to get less spin and hit more flatter on the ball??

SirBlend12
01-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Swing in a straight line instead of low to high. Use correct grip. Practice.

jasoncho92
01-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Advice wont help you too much here. You need to keep on practicing so you know what does what. It takes time and during the couple of months youve been playing, you have probably just been trying to keep the ball in. Id work on form first though

zeratul90
01-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Well...the way i see it for my strokes is the more vertical you swing, the more topspin you get, so try swinging a bit more horizontal.

ronalditop
01-10-2009, 07:26 AM
I've been practicing 1hand backhand for couple months and i got somewhat consistent. However, sometimes i just get too much spin and the ball goes to the net... is there any way to get less spin and hit more flatter on the ball??

well, to me the size of the grip is the key factor that determinate whether my 1hbh is great or it sucks. i been experimenting with different gripsizes for a long time to find out what's the best for me. if i use a gripsize smaller to what the one i normally use, my wrist pronates too fast and i end up hitting to the net, and if it is bigger, i cant pronate my wrist fast enough and i hit long. but when i use the perfect gripsize for me the swing feels really smooth and its so easy to get spin and control, feels like the racquet does all the work for me and i can concentrate more on strategy.

i would advice you to experiment with gripzises and found out what suites you the best.

LeeD
01-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Just for me....
When I hit onehanders short, it's from too much applied spin or too low over the net. Flatten out your strokes or hit higher gives you back the depth.
Grip size alway 5/8th, I'm old, hit with guys who crush forehands and serve well into the 5.5 level, so bigger grip allows my slower than you's reactions to block the ball back sometimes mishit, and not twist in my hand too much.
Something the Wilson team back in the late '70's told me when I was stringing a few of their rackets.

caweran
01-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Make sure your footwork is correct... you should arrive at the correct place and time to hit your backhand... so you do not reach for it.... the result then your right/left hand elbow will follow the same arc/path every time.

caweran
01-11-2009, 06:11 AM
And change your grip little bit...

zacinnc78
01-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Just for me....
When I hit onehanders short, it's from too much applied spin or too low over the net. Flatten out your strokes or hit higher gives you back the depth.
Grip size alway 5/8th, I'm old, hit with guys who crush forehands and serve well into the 5.5 level, so bigger grip allows my slower than you's reactions to block the ball back sometimes mishit, and not twist in my hand too much.
Something the Wilson team back in the late '70's told me when I was stringing a few of their rackets.

yea the bigger grip does make a 1hbh feel sweeter dont it?

LeeD
01-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Waitaminute...
You are using the same 3 rackets I use! :twisted::twisted::twisted:
Yeah, all the kids where I play say to go smaller on grip size. I actually tape one layer on each of the 6 sides and then wrap the grip back on, to get slightly bigger than 5/8ths.
My stringer looks at this and says ..."whatever, I won't recommend it"..
Most players who try my racket look at me and laugh with wonder.
But it sure feels nice when I hit clean and center.
Still experimenting with string gauges and tension, right now at cheapest poly 15 and 62 lbs. I know good stuff has "playability", but it just shifts around and kills my hard swing shots.

Sublime
01-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Get low and stay low.

Fight the urge to start straightening your right leg (if you're right handed) before or during contact.