PDA

View Full Version : New Golden Age Of Tennis.

War, Safin!
01-10-2009, 03:39 AM
Starts this year, IMO.
As much as I enjoyed seeing Federer mow everyone down over the years, it was getting a little dull.
But now, I feel we could be entering a 'golden age' of tennis: Nadal, Federer, Murray, Djokovic - all crammed in at the top, all capable of taking each other out in any tournament and we have Simon, Tsonga, Del Porto and Gulbis making in-roads.

I feel guys like Blake, Ferrer, Monfils, Gasquet are going to be considered 'also-rans'.

Good time to be watching tennis, whoever you're rooting for.

Thoughts, opinions?

DJG
01-10-2009, 04:12 AM

I agree with that statement. It is nice watching competition out there on the court.

phoenicks
01-10-2009, 04:16 AM
as long as they dont threaten nadal's no.1 and slam, I'm fine with it.:p

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-10-2009, 06:40 AM
The fedboys will be attacking you, but you're right. It'll be hell in the Slams, even in the French (maybe.) Also add Davydenko to the also-rans.

TennezSport
01-10-2009, 09:20 AM
as long as they dont threaten nadal's no.1 and slam, I'm fine with it.:p

The threat is already there and growing daily. Even Rafa admitted that this willl be a very tough year for him. Not in just fighting off Fed and the new Youngbloods, but also fighting off damaging his knees further. As he said himself "All I can do is fight harder and run more" (DailyTennisNews@racquettech.com)

2K9 will be a great year of Tennis for all; War Safin has a good point :grin:

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

yemenmocha
01-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I'll agree that it will be more interesting, but it can't be the golden age (IMO) because we don't have enough variety in playstyle. If a significant percentage of those players were S&V then I would agree fully.

I liked it when we had great baseliners like Agassi & Lendl alongside great S&V's like Becker & Edberg. It was just more complete then.

TokyopunK
01-10-2009, 02:11 PM
DEL Potro!!!!!

TheTruth
01-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Starts this year, IMO.
As much as I enjoyed seeing Federer mow everyone down over the years, it was getting a little dull.
But now, I feel we could be entering a 'golden age' of tennis: Nadal, Federer, Murray, Djokovic - all crammed in at the top, all capable of taking each other out in any tournament and we have Simon, Tsonga, Del Porto and Gulbis making in-roads.

I feel guys like Blake, Ferrer, Monfils, Gasquet are going to be considered 'also-rans'.

Thoughts, opinions?

Great post. This is the best the competition has been in years. Time for some great tennis, and may the best man win!

JeMar
01-10-2009, 02:36 PM
I'll agree that it will be more interesting, but it can't be the golden age (IMO) because we don't have enough variety in playstyle. If a significant percentage of those players were S&V then I would agree fully.

I liked it when we had great baseliners like Agassi & Lendl alongside great S&V's like Becker & Edberg. It was just more complete then.

I personally think there's plenty of variety in the game today, but it's not as obvious as there was back then.

You have players that rely on a more tactical game, moving their opponents around while slowly opening up the court by using their large array of shots with superb technique. Players like Murray, Djokovic, and Davydenko fall into this category.

You also have players that base their attack on large forehands and a huge serve. Players like Roddick and Verdasco come to mind here.

We also can't forget about our current world number one. Nadal plays a game built on speed, endurance, power, and intimidation (during and between points).

And no one can deny that raw power is still prevalent in some players' games. Gulbis, Berdych, Tursonov go into the court and are determined to hit the ball hard, and if that fails, hit it harder.

Then there's someone like Federer who can more-or-less do a combination of these at any given time.

There's lots of variety in today's game, it's just more nuanced.