PDA

View Full Version : Forten synthetic guts: Ridiculously stretchy?

Nanshiki
01-10-2009, 05:52 AM
I noticed that I can actually stretch short lengths of Forten string (comp. nylon and Sweet) by hand. I have never been able to do this with any other kind of string that I've used...

It also makes them very hard to string.

Does anyone else find this kind of weird?

Max Winther
01-10-2009, 07:12 AM
I've got a reel of comp. nylon, but I haven't had that much of a problem with stretching. Do you have 17g or 16? The problem I have is when I go up over 55 or so, the string breaks in the racquet within 24 hours, even if its just sitting there. I've tried this like 4 times, each time trying different clamping force, but I get the same result. What strings are you used to stringing?

PBODY99
01-10-2009, 07:43 AM
The breakage is strange, as I have used 40 to 50 set in the past couple of years with no problem. I have a number of players who use nothing but nylon & this seems to last as well as similar basic nylons from other companies. Granted this is an older crowd who don't use Western grips , nor hit with a lot of topspin.

Nanshiki
01-10-2009, 07:50 AM
The problem isn't that it stretches in the machine, just that it seems easily twice as stretchy as any other string I've tried to stretch by hand.

I only have problems stringing Forten Sweet because I have a drop weight and have to pull it three or more times to get it to flatten out before the puller is touching the string on the other side.

OTOH, I've only used it in crosses so far. I'm going to try it as a full job sometime soon.