PDA

View Full Version : Serve and volley

Noaler
01-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Any strategies to face on?

My opponent serves his hard serve on the line and then I run and barely get to the ball...he then comes in and hits a volley and I run and barely get it again but he then volleys again and I lose. This always happens when he gets his first serve in, second serve I have no problem since I always try to attack it.

LeeD
01-10-2009, 09:17 AM
One thing to remember, if your opponent hit the line with his first, hard serve, you can always say "nice shot"......
But remember also, a first serve that you don't have time to swing at can be blocked back with a volley grip and stroke. Just be sure to move forwards on ball contact, keep the ball low, and you can sometimes turn the table on his volleying strategy.
If he doesn't show a consistent wide serve, move inside the baseline to take away his time on your slower return. If he hits into your body, you gotta move back. If he's great at wide serves, hits into your body when you move forwards, and still gets most of his serves in, you might consider a lesser practice partner.....or just plain bomb your serves into his hitting side hip.

[d]ragon
01-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Work on your returns. Split step, short back swing, try to keep it low.

TennezSport
01-10-2009, 09:51 AM
ragon;2994329']Work on your returns. Split step, short back swing, try to keep it low.

On the first serve, take a step or two further back to give yourself a little more time and be prepared to cover a little more in angle. Practice hitting targets from further back and decide where you are going to hit the return if the ball comes to either forehand or backhand. Good luck and have fun.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Noaler
01-10-2009, 03:11 PM
No, he serves and volleys. My returns are good enough that he just comes in to the net to finish me off quicker and a more guaranteed win. And I'd say he gets it in 60% of the time.

Yeah, he's like what ranked in the top ten in our region. And I'm only between 100-200. We live the same neighborhood so thats why.

larry10s
01-16-2009, 10:01 AM
the goal of the returner against a serve /volleyer is to get the return low so he has to volley up. that type of return its difficult for him to be very offensive. usually he will volley deep probably to your backhand side noww its up to you to pas and/or lob him. if you can dip the ball to his feet so his second volley is also difficult you do not have to outright pass him. if you can barely get your racquet on his serve like if it skids off the line and you float the return high you are toast. the s&v job is to get you to hit returns he can volley aggressively. your job is to give him a difficult ball to handle.

Gemini
01-16-2009, 11:01 AM
The key is in your return of serve as a number of people have pointed out. You'll have to get more offensive with the return and force him to hit a defensive first volley. Once he hits a defensive (weak) volley back, you can setup the pass. A hard low return using a short, blocked-type swing is generally good at getting serve-and-volley type players in a defensive position.

Nellie
01-16-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't know what to say since poeple have given you good advise, that you dismiss because you think the opponent is too tough for you.

As already mentioned, against a serve and volleyer, you really want to aim returns at his feet, even if the return has less pace. You can also hit lower percentage shots, such as lob/ down the line (essentially passing shots) off of the serve. I find that good lobs can really slow down the serve and volley player's movement toward the net, but you will likely eat some overheads too.

If I was you, against a superior serve and volley opponent, I would probe for shots to see what weeknesses, if any, he has with his volley. Try to hit high/low, slower/faster, backhand/forehand, and see what happens.

Also, be prepared to for the second shot. Most serve and volley players hit the first volley (off the return) to set up a second volley winner. For you, this means you need to hit a decent return, but a good second shot to point the person in a defensive position. Again, that second shot needs to be either lower or a passing/lob shot. If you hit low, you need to be ready to come up fast so that you can a hit an agressive shot when the volleyer pops the ball up.

Gemini
01-16-2009, 11:40 AM
To OP, it also sounds like even though you recognize his patterns (big/hard first serve on the line as you say), you're not actively doing anything to disrupt these patterns. If you attempt to predict/anticipate his serve, you'll have a better chance of hitting a more solid return than what you've been. Also, don't be afraid to rip a few back on the return. Make him think twice about serving there again.

Julieta
01-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Very good advice in previous posts. As the other said - practice your returns! Do you practice your returns? Most players don't practice this enough. If you take lessons, get your coach to hit you some serves from the service line. You need to hit a ton of returns on a rushed/pressured basis so you can get confident with this shot. If you dont have a coach, find a friend and practice the same thing. You can trade off working on your serve and then your return.

Noaler
01-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I suppose my returns are getting better since I practice with him, I can lob him now. Plus none of the players I play usually have such a good serve so not that much of a deal.