PDA

View Full Version : Please analyze my friends serve

Failed
01-10-2009, 11:08 AM
This is the first ever video of my hitting partners serve. He likes to browse the forums and read articles online and when I told him about putting my videos online he wanted to try the same.

Here is his flat serve:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3TsjiFuLs4

Here is his slice serve:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-KoAPvW98

All comments highly appericated as always.

Headshotterer
01-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Slice serve looks very wide and effective

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-10-2009, 11:44 AM
His flat serve is really good. I think he could bend his back just a bit more, but otherwise his flat serve is good.

LeeD
01-10-2009, 11:46 AM
He can have an effective serve with the right technique.
Gotta face back to the opponent. Gotta try continental with a hair towards backhand. Gotta take more time, make the setup exactly the same. Gotta tightnen up the swing motion and make the toss much more consistent.

Ballinbob
01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Slice serve looks great

Advice: Don't wear cargo shorts when playing tennis

MarrratSafin
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Both are very good IMO. Flat serve is quite powerful. The sideway bounce of the slice serve looks awesome.:)

Mada
01-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Slice serve looks quite strong, I bet the first time someone plays him they have trouble with it for a while.

Failed
01-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Could someone look closely at his technique. Some things he'd need to work on and so on, the toss needs to be fixed quickly.

albino smurf
01-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Looks nice. Higher toss might let him load more and make it even better. Or it could mess it all up.

unprotennis
01-11-2009, 01:42 PM
your pal really rocks those nadal capris.

BullDogTennis
01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
dont wear cargo pants, belt, and tucked in shirts!

unprotennis
01-12-2009, 02:45 PM
^^ how about no shirt at all?

Jonny S&V
01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Could someone look closely at his technique. Some things he'd need to work on and so on, the toss needs to be fixed quickly.

Jeez, 13 posts in and someone finally decides to comment on technique. The main thing I would tell your friend is to loosen up. He's muscling the ball some much it's making my arm hurt looking at it. It has good pace, but boy I'm surprised he doesn't have any arm or shoulder problems...

Another thing is he's facing the net for the most part during the entire motion. If he were to turn his shoulders and then snap them (as in the kinetic chain) then he would get some more pace on it.

Note, this applies to both serves.

Hope this helps!

LeeD
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Thought post #4 addresses some service setup and grip issues.
Didn't want to give too many changes, it's hard enough to balance speed with consistency.

Jonny S&V
01-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Thought post #4 addresses some service setup and grip issues.
Didn't want to give too many changes, it's hard enough to balance speed with consistency.

Yeah, you're right, sorry...

Failed
01-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Jeez, 13 posts in and someone finally decides to comment on technique. The main thing I would tell your friend is to loosen up. He's muscling the ball some much it's making my arm hurt looking at it. It has good pace, but boy I'm surprised he doesn't have any arm or shoulder problems...

Another thing is he's facing the net for the most part during the entire motion. If he were to turn his shoulders and then snap them (as in the kinetic chain) then he would get some more pace on it.

Note, this applies to both serves.

Hope this helps!

He has a mild tennis elbow :) and LeeD. Yeah, you addressed few things, which we of course noted. My friend is unsure about the change of grips but I think I can make him change it to more continental for better pronation and pace.

Jonny S&V
01-13-2009, 10:32 AM
He has a mild tennis elbow :) and LeeD. Yeah, you addressed few things, which we of course noted. My friend is unsure about the change of grips but I think I can make him change it to more continental for better pronation and pace.

The grip is ok IMO, but he just has to loosen up...

Blade0324
01-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Here is what I see initially. He needs better hip, shoulder rotation away from the net on the setup to load properly. For a flat or slice serve his toss looks to be too far to the left and not really in the same place on any of the serves. I would suggest it be more to the right of him. I also see that while it appears that he is loading up with the legs he is actually not getting much force on the ground with the leg drive. This may be because the whole motion is slightly too fast so he doesn't have time to properly load. A higher toss can allow more time as can a platform stance instead of the pinpoint one he is using. Just some food for thought. He has a pretty good start but with some small changes can have a very strong serve.

Nellie
01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Your friend is slicing that first serve. If that is what he wants, that's fine. Mostly, he is tossing too close to the baseline and not getting good weight into the ball because he is not pushing up and into the serve. Instead, he is mostly arming the shot, with the legs and torso not moving/helping at contact.

GeorgeLucas
01-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Ah, the serve. Your trophy position is abit off. I can tell you're making solid contact but your trophy position is neutralizing some of the elements that contribute to a bigger serve. Look at any video of a pro player: as they toss the ball in the air, the tip of the racquet points roughly to the apex of the ball's flight. Tossing the ball and waiting with your racquet pressed to your back cancels the explosive fast twitch muscles in your arm.

This demonstrates my point more clearly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWC1h...eature=related
0:05-0:06... This should be your trophy position. Feel free to replace Federer with any pro of your choosing and the trend remains the same.