PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic vs. Murray

380pistol
01-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I don't know if this has been asked before, but when it's allsaid and done who will end up the better player or be regarded higher when their respective careers are done.

Murray is getting all the hype, the talk is about him, and people seem to dislike Djokovic, but really who is better??? Who will be regarded higher??? Now and the future.

Novak has slam, a slam F, a YEC and 4 masters to Murray's slam F and 2 masters. Though Murray leads Roger 5-2, he's never beaten Roger in 3/5 sets like Novak has, and Djokovic did it at slam. So Djokovic has gotten out of the gates faster.

So who... Novak or Andy??? And why.

GasquetGOAT
01-10-2009, 10:36 AM
I had similar topic from a while ago. :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=223298&highlight=murray+djokovic

oneleggedcardinal
01-10-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't know if this has been asked before, but when it's allsaid and done who will end up the better player or be regarded higher when their respective careers are done.

Murray is getting all the hype, the talk is about him, and people seem to dislike Djokovic, but really who is better??? Who will be regarded higher??? Now and the future.

Novak has slam, a slam F, a YEC and 4 masters to Murray's slam F and 2 masters. Though Murray leads Roger 5-2, he's never beaten Roger in 3/5 sets like Novak has, and Djokovic did it at slam. So Djokovic has gotten out of the gates faster.

I'm not trying to be facetious here, but, concerning the statement I bolded in your quote, this question would be a lot easier to answer when their careers are actually over.

Right now, however, I definitely consider Djokovic having a better career by far. He's accomplished way more, both qualitatively and quantitatively.

miyagi
01-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm not trying to be facetious here, but, concerning the statement I bolded in your quote, this question would be a lot easier to answer when their careers are actually over.

Right now, however, I definitely consider Djokovic having a better career by far. He's accomplished way more, both qualitatively and quantitatively.

Then there would be virtually no point in discussing it as it would be obvious who had the best career. Forum is designed to discuss things past, present and future!

I think Djoko will have the better career don't know why?

SempreSami
01-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Murray's wrist injury in 2007 set him back quite a bit. Didn't Djokovic pwn Murray in the h2h until Toronto this year?

Feņa14
01-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Murray's wrist injury in 2007 set him back quite a bit. Didn't Djokovic pwn Murray in the h2h until Toronto this year?

I think that's a good point, Murray and Djokovic were matching each other in the early part of 2007. Murray had that brilliant match with Nadal at the Australian Open and they posted very similar results in the early Masters Series events, then Murray got that wrist injury and didn't really get his fitness and confidence in the wrist back fully untill 2008. If he hadn't of had that nasty injury then who knows, there is a good case that could be made for Murray being the one to of kicked on.

As it stands at the moment it's Djokovic who's had the better career, no doubts about it. Who will have the best results come the end of their careers? Who knows! lol, toss a coin for it really.

JeMar
01-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Their games are very similar, but I really like the grit that Murray's found lately. It seems that the bigger the challenge, the more he steps up. Djokovic, as of late, appears to wither away when things don't go his way.

If this trend continues as their careers develop, I expect Murray to finish ahead of Djokovic.

dr325i
01-10-2009, 02:56 PM
SO FAR in their careers, Novak is ahead...
WHat happens this year or next year, we'll have to wait and see.
I believe Murray has a great chance to end this year ahead of Novak, unless he gets injured...

veroniquem
01-10-2009, 03:15 PM

It's just a matter of time. I'm sure Murray is gonna do it in a slam too.

Rorschach
01-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Interesting topic...
Novak serves bigger and hits harder than Murray.
Murray has more variation, moves better and I believe is fitter than Djoko. Overall I think he's a better strategist too...so I'll go with Murray.

swedechris
01-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Interesting topic...
Murray has more variation, moves better and I believe is fitter than Djoko. Overall I think he's a better strategist too...so I'll go with Murray.

i agree except i think murrays power has increased quite a great deal off the ground the last 3 months and is equal or above noles.

Feņa14
01-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Interesting topic...

Murray serves alot bigger that Djokovic, he has no problems cranking it up towards 140mph. He also won something like 23 out of 25 points when he got the first serve in against Federer on friday. Murray's problem on serve is that his second serve lets him down a bit, he's improving though.

DoubleDeuce
01-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Murray is a very capable tennis player, no doubt. He has a very intelligent game and van come up with smart strategies and implement them effectively. But there is a certain amount of hype surrounding him right now. I think his team is responsible for a big part of that also. Look at Djokovic as a comparison. He has been on top for way longer and has had more achievements over all. Now do a google search for these two players. Murray will bring almost one million more results. co.uk extensions have done a very good job. There are pictures of him body building and Olympic style exercises wherever you look.

Back on topic, Murray's defensive style requires lots of court coverage in long rallies. This is not exactly what you need to win slams. Historically, this has been shown to hurt him. Over all, I believe Djok will have more success in years ahead.

Talking about history, who was the last defensive player winning a HC slam event?

JeMar
01-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Would you consider Lleyton Hewitt a defensive player? If so, 2001 U.S. Open.

JeMar
01-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Also, Mats Wilander won the Australian Open and the U.S. Open in 1988.

DoubleDeuce
01-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Would you consider Lleyton Hewitt a defensive player? If so, 2001 U.S. Open.

No I don't find Hewitt defensive player.

Also what's similar between Djoker and Murray's game?

JeMar
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Neither really blows you off the court the way a vintage Safin would, both volley well, both anticipate well, both have excellent two-handed backhands, both have a good serve (yet not unbreakable), both have a fondness for using the drop shot, and both are good on-court tacticians, as well as excellent movers.

Is that enough?

stormholloway
01-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Another thread asking people what will happen in the future. What's the point? Nobody here knows the future. Why? Because soothsayers don't bother with internet forums. They're busy making money in the stock market.

There are more interesting questions to be pondering, even within the realm of tennis.

oneleggedcardinal
01-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Then there would be virtually no point in discussing it as it would be obvious who had the best career. Forum is designed to discuss things past, present and future!

I think Djoko will have the better career don't know why?

Yes, but I can still say that the question is difficult to answer, eh? And, actually, people sometimes discuss who the best players ever are, which definitely include past players whose careers have long been over. I think those discussions are easier (and don't require as much speculation) than a discussion concerning two players who have basically started on the upswing of their careers because at least you have stats and accomplishments.

Morrissey
01-10-2009, 05:20 PM

You don't watch tennis do you?

Morrissey
01-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Another thread asking people what will happen in the future. What's the point? Nobody here knows the future. Why? Because soothsayers don't bother with internet forums. They're busy making money in the stock market.

There are more interesting questions to be pondering, even within the realm of tennis.

While we're in the topic of predicting careers, can anyone tell me who will win the Super Bowl a couple of weeks?

DoubleDeuce
01-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Neither really blows you off the court the way a vintage Safin would, both volley well, both anticipate well, both have excellent two-handed backhands, both have a good serve (yet not unbreakable), both have a fondness for using the drop shot, and both are good on-court tacticians, as well as excellent movers.

Is that enough?

Not at all. Anticipate well, excellent two handed backhand? Don't blow off like safin? There are many players today you can say the same thing about. we are talking about defensive vs non defensive players here.

DoubleDeuce
01-10-2009, 05:33 PM
You don't watch tennis do you?

If you have a point to make just give it a shot rather than asking stupid questions.

Morrissey
01-10-2009, 05:39 PM
If you have a point to make just give it a shot rather than asking stupid questions.

My point is you must not watch tennis if you don't think Hewitt is a defensive player. Please enlighten us all in why you believe this. The question isn't nearly as dumb as your statement on Hewitt not being a defensive player and Joker/Murray not being similar baseline players.

DoubleDeuce
01-10-2009, 06:36 PM
My point is you must not watch tennis if you don't think Hewitt is a defensive player. Please enlighten us all in why you believe this. The question isn't nearly as dumb as your statement on Hewitt not being a defensive player and Joker/Murray not being similar baseline players.

I don't find them similar baseline players. Djokovic has more variety in his shots plus he responds with harder and speedier shots to the corners. Murray on the other hand takes the speed off the ball and throws it back at you. "Pusher" is a word that fits him real well for that very reason even though his fans hate that but it's true. Even Nadal who's considered by many as a defensive player never "push" and slow down the ball. For me it is a big difference in style even though he is also a baseline player.

SempreSami
01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Murray is a very capable tennis player, no doubt. He has a very intelligent game and van come up with smart strategies and implement them effectively. But there is a certain amount of hype surrounding him right now. I think his team is responsible for a big part of that also. Look at Djokovic as a comparison. He has been on top for way longer and has had more achievements over all. Now do a google search for these two players. Murray will bring almost one million more results. co.uk extensions have done a very good job. There are pictures of him body building and Olympic style exercises wherever you look.

Back on topic, Murray's defensive style requires lots of court coverage in long rallies. This is not exactly what you need to win slams. Historically, this has been shown to hurt him. Over all, I believe Djok will have more success in years ahead.

Talking about history, who was the last defensive player winning a HC slam event?

Errr court coverage hurts Nadal and he still wins Grand Slams.

JeMar
01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I think that you're thinking of a defensive player as a the stereotypical "pusher" at your club/courts that everyone hates to play if you don't see Hewitt as a defensive player by professional standards.

As for Djokovic and Murray not being similar players, please go watch some of their matches and look at their point construction and movement around the court. Yes, you can say a few of those qualities about a lot of players on the pro circuit, but not to the extent that you can say that about these two in particular.

Nadal_Freak
01-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I definitely think Murray will have the better career but Djokovic will have a very good career as well. Top 2 players on hardcourts imo but struggles on clay and grass.

Morrissey
01-10-2009, 06:48 PM
I don't find them similar baseline players. Djokovic has more variety in his shots plus he responds with harder and speedier shots to the corners. Murray on the other hand takes the speed off the ball and throws it back at you. "Pusher" is a word that fits him real well for that very reason even though his fans hate that but it's true. Even Nadal who's considered by many as a defensive player never "push" and slow down the ball. For me it is a big difference in style even though he is also a baseline player.

OK, you gave me your explanation. Personally, I think Murray uses more of the court, more angle and different speeds than Joker does. Joker likes to drive the ball straight and through the court more than Murray. Murray likes to move the ball around more. They are similar in which they are both baseiners that have strong, consistent backhands, they like to employ dropshots and use the lob. I consider Nadal to be an aggressive, counterpunching baseliner in which he can create his own pace and angles and can control rallies on his terms. Hewitt is mainly a counterpunching, baseliner who keeps the ball in enough to outlast his opponent and thrives on errors because he can't create his own pace and control rallies on his terms. When he was younger and faster he could run all day into winning matches. I do say that he used to make alot of passing shots, he loved having a target. But when he slowed down he no longer could catch up to every shot anymore and he had nothing else in his game to compensate for it, like a big forehand, backhand or even a big serve.

DoubleDeuce
01-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Errr court coverage hurts Nadal and he still wins Grand Slams.

I consider Nadal to be a stronger athlete than Murray. Murray cannot grind, he relies more on his game plan and strategy where Nadal is more on grinding and muscular side. Murray is not built for 5 setter matches physically, no matter how much body building he does and that's why he has been practicing serves more than anything else to gain cheap points and save energy.
Too bad Davydenko is out. He could oust him again in a semifinal.

edmondsm
01-11-2009, 04:10 AM

I don't agree that Nadal "never pushes". It is a strategy that he goes too now and then with good results.

batz
01-11-2009, 04:20 AM
That was a hell of a lot of winners Murray pushed against A-Rod yesterday DoubleDuece.

I've been lurking on here for a while. DD your constant berating of Murray's game is a daily event.

Methinks thou doth protesteth too much.

Morrissey
01-11-2009, 07:31 AM
For the record, Murray ain't no pusher, neither is Nadal. Both guys can crank winners on a regular basis. They're just too smart to go for them all the time, otherwise they would be like Blake and Gulbis and look where they're ranked. Tennis isn't just about killing the ball all the time. Nadal and Murray have point construction and gameplans. Those other guys have no patience and think tennis is a home run derby.

Leublu tennis
01-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Didn't Djokovic pwn Murray in the h2h until Toronto this year?

Pawn? Hand to hand? I'm sorry I am not a kid and can't understand these abbreviations. Could you explain, please.

380pistol
01-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Well I see Djokovic more like Lendl and Murray like Wilander. Djokovic has a more effective serve and power, which I think will help him play at his best easier that it will take Murray to play at his.

Ovbiously Djokovic started faster, but he's only one slam ahead and they are both just 21. Murray has been the best player the 4 months or so, but so was Djokovic January to April last year.
For some reason I like Novak.

SempreSami
01-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Pawn? Hand to hand? I'm sorry I am not a kid and can't understand these abbreviations. Could you explain, please.

I'm not a kid and this is the internet, if you can't roll, get off.

JeMar
01-11-2009, 09:50 AM
This being the internet is not an excuse for the poor use of language.

SempreSami
01-11-2009, 10:08 AM
He couldn't even establish that h2h is head to head, I'm not the first person to use that term on here, ffs.

Telepatic
01-11-2009, 10:15 AM

Oh come on, its not poor use of language, those are internet ****s and there are some shortcuts..

DoubleDeuce
01-11-2009, 10:22 AM
That was a hell of a lot of winners Murray pushed against A-Rod yesterday DoubleDuece.

I've been lurking on here for a while. DD your constant berating of Murray's game is a daily event.

Methinks thou doth protesteth too much.

If you've been lurking enough then must've seen the overrating also. I find him to be a lazy sod and some people share that opinion also.
There are many silly threads started about him after his Ex. win and Doha win and I choose to respond to them. Just responding:)

SempreSami
01-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Don't make out like you've only recently been at it, you've been on his case since before the US Open.

HydroYang
01-11-2009, 10:36 AM
He couldn't even establish that h2h is head to head, I'm not the first person to use that term on here, ffs.

He's from Moldova,so maybe he is just having trouble coming to terms with these abbreviations?

batz
01-11-2009, 10:40 AM
If you've been lurking enough then must've seen the overrating also. I find him to be a lazy sod and some people share that opinion also.
There are many silly threads started about him after his Ex. win and Doha win and I choose to respond to them. Just responding:)

In what way is he 'a lazy sod'. Can you get to number four in the world in your chosen field by being 'a lazy sod'? Lazy in comparison to whom and based on what criteria?

Like I say, you protest way too much. You clearly view him as a real threat -hence the brickbats, and the more you throw, the smellier your fear becomes.

DoubleDeuce
01-11-2009, 10:41 AM
For the record, Murray ain't no pusher, neither is Nadal. Both guys can crank winners on a regular basis. They're just too smart to go for them all the time, otherwise they would be like Blake and Gulbis and look where they're ranked. Tennis isn't just about killing the ball all the time. Nadal and Murray have point construction and gameplans. Those other guys have no patience and think tennis is a home run derby.

Murray is probably the most successful pusher of all time. And don't even try to attach him to Nadal because he's not even close. A winner is one shot only but before that there are several pushing shots preceding it. He sits there like an old fox and wait, either for an error or an opportunity for a winner or a strong shot. There is nothing wrong with the strategy, if it works great, good for him. But don't try to present him as anything else.

Like I said his fans hate the word "pusher" and try to whitewash that with this "winner" shots. Note that what we are talking about here is the main game strategy not the type of shots or strong two handed backhand etc...

JeMar
01-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Murray is probably the most successful pusher of all time. And don't even try to attach him to Nadal because he's not even close. A winner is one shot only but before that there are several pushing shots preceding it. He sits there like an old fox and wait, either for an error or an opportunity for a winner or a strong shot. There is nothing wrong with the strategy, if it works great, good for him. But don't try to present him as anything else.

Like I said his fans hate the word "pusher" and try to whitewash that with this "winner" shots. Note that what we are talking about here is the main game strategy not the type of shots or strong two handed backhand etc...

lmao. You must not play tennis in the least. And if you do, you must be a terrible player. I normally don't say stuff like this, but... geez.

DoubleDeuce
01-11-2009, 10:54 AM
In what way is he 'a lazy sod'. Can you get to number four in the world in your chosen field by being 'a lazy sod'? Lazy in comparison to whom and based on what criteria?

Like I say, you protest way too much. You clearly view him as a real threat -hence the brickbats, and the more you throw, the smellier your fear becomes.

Haha...my fears? Thanks man you made me laugh, first time today after yesterday's funny threads.

I was referring to his game style, which I find very boring to watch. If you have other views, you can share with others or just enjoy reading " Murray next goat" threats. Not me buddy.
Right now you're the one who's protesting too much. These are my opinions, come up with your own or stfu.

DoubleDeuce
01-11-2009, 10:59 AM
lmao. You must not play tennis in the least. And if you do, you must be a terrible player. I normally don't say stuff like this, but... geez.

Is that all you have to say Mr. Pro player? Just to ignore the facts? Isn't that what he does? Push and wait for opportunity?
This is typical of the posters who come short of reasoning and then start the personal attacks.

I see where it hurts though. It's just too bad your favorite has to be a pusher :)

JeMar
01-11-2009, 11:04 AM
It isn't called pushing, it's called working a point?

Moving the ball around and waiting for an opportunity to end it when the chance arises is what you SHOULD be doing. Just about any professional player does this to some extent. Those that don't are the ones that end up being career second-rounders.

Murray isn't my favorite player, as I don't find his game aesthetically pleasing. We all know what happens when you assume.

I'm not here to defend any one player in particular, I'm just here to point out ignorant logic like the one you've been spewing for the last two pages and a half.

JeMar
01-11-2009, 11:09 AM
There's a difference between counter-puncher and a "pusher," by the way. There are no pushers in the professional game.

DoubleDeuce
01-11-2009, 11:15 AM
It isn't called pushing, it's called working a point?

Moving the ball around and waiting for an opportunity to end it when the chance arises is what you SHOULD be doing. Just about any professional player does this to some extent. Those that don't are the ones that end up being career second-rounders.

Murray isn't my favorite player, as I don't find his game aesthetically pleasing. We all know what happens when you assume.

I'm not here to defend any one player in particular, I'm just here to point out ignorant logic like the one you've been spewing for the last two pages and a half.

Then we must have different understandings of what "pushing" means. If you read the previous pages then you must've seen that I wrote "He takes the speed off the ball" This is what makes him a pusher, he throws the ball back at you with no power and it has been likened to junior style playing. Yes, this is his shot making strategy and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, like I said before. It is working for him, and that's great. My whole point was that we are talking about his main strategy to reach to that winner or whatever final shot he makes and for people to say he has such and such number of winners doesnt change the fact how he's making them. Kapish?

AznHylite
01-11-2009, 11:19 AM

I find Hewitt to be more defensive than Murray... =_=. Hewitt has problems cranking up the power, which has led to his demise in tennis. However, Murray can crank it up at anytime. He just doesn't want to.

batz
01-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Haha...my fears? Thanks man you made me laugh, first time today after yesterday's funny threads.

I was referring to his game style, which I find very boring to watch. If you have other views, you can share with others or just enjoy reading " Murray next goat" threats. Not me buddy.
Right now you're the one who's protesting too much. These are my opinions, come up with your own or stfu.

OK.

My opinion is that deep down you think Murray is about to go stellar with that game of his and that this leads to you repeating the same mantras day in day out in an attempt to quell that dark fear of yours - it's like a comfort blanket I suppose.

I say you keep them coming DD - it only validates the view that Murray is an emerging threat to everyone on the tour (except Fat Dave of course - when he can be bothered:))

We can do a group thing if you like, on 3 - 1,2,3

Murray is pusher
He has no stamina
5 set matches are too much for him
He is a lazy sod

Repeat ad infinitum
:)

veroniquem
01-11-2009, 12:51 PM
OK.

My opinion is that deep down you think Murray is about to go stellar with that game of his and that this leads to you repeating the same mantras day in day out in an attempt to quell that dark fear of yours - it's like a comfort blanket I suppose.

I say you keep them coming DD - it only validates the view that Murray is an emerging threat to everyone on the tour (except Fat Dave of course - when he can be bothered:))

Murray is pusher
He has no stamina
He is a lazy sod

Repeat ad infinitum
Totally agree. The Murray he's describing in his posts just doesn't exist at this time other than in his feverish imagination!

DoubleDeuce
01-11-2009, 01:58 PM
OK.

Murray is pusher
He has no stamina
He is a lazy sod

Repeat ad infinitum

You think what you want but don't talk for me.
Lols@dark fear of yours. I meant what I said so there is no reason for fear.
I wrote the posts you are referring to as a response to those who already see him as candidate for the greatest of all time and the likes.
In any case, we will all know by the end of this year,
so... hang on:)

Gugafan
01-11-2009, 03:18 PM
I see where it hurts though. It's just too bad your favorite has to be a pusher :)

Did you not watch the final in Doha....Pushers dont post 3:1 ratio of winners to UE.

Leublu tennis
01-11-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm not a kid and this is the internet, if you can't roll, get off. Sorry. Can't roll but I can still rock.

Leublu tennis
01-11-2009, 03:44 PM

Thank you very much.

DoubleDeuce
01-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Did you not watch the final in Doha....Pushers dont post 3:1 ratio of winners to UE.

You don't get it do you. Go read again maybe you'll understand.
It is expected to have less UEs when a player pushes. Aggressiveness (for example taking the ball on the rise) has a certain level of risk taking and therefore UEs are expected.
You thought bringing up the 3:1 ratio is very impressive? smart-alecky comment.

sheq
01-11-2009, 04:32 PM
why dont you people accept murray is a pusher ı have been watching his all matches since last year and ı would definetetly count him as a great pusher..like it or not thats the truth..and his game differs from novak on this point..nole is an attacking style playe while murray is defensive one..

personally, ı like watching nole more than murray but murray is the current best player in the world and favorite for AO..

for a comparasion federer is the most attacking player while murray is the most defensive one..roger cant wait to end the point and in the long rallies he is definetely getting bored and nervous while murray can play the longest rallies ever like 10 20 or 30 !!! shots he doesnt lose his concentration and wait for a mistake or an opportunity to start atacking

and, the answer is nole has a a better career till now in future there is no strong indicate to say who..a 6 moths fire doesnt mislead you people :) from both murray or nole..they are still child in my eyes..firstly they should prove that can be on the top like 4 5 years like roger or at least 2 3 year like nadal :)

DoubleDeuce
01-11-2009, 04:43 PM
why dont you people accept murray is a pusher ı have been watching his all matches since last year and ı would definetetly count him as a great pusher..like it or not thats the truth..and his game differs from novak on this point..nole is an attacking style playe while murray is defensive one..

personally, ı like watching nole more than murray but murray is the current best player in the world and favorite for AO..

for a comparasion federer is the most attacking player while murray is the most defensive one..roger cant wait to end the point and in the long rallies he is definetely getting bored and nervous while murray can play the longest rallies ever like 10 20 or 30 !!! shots he doesnt lose his concentration and wait for a mistake or an opportunity to start atacking

and, the answer is nole has a a better career till now in future there is no strong indicate to say who..a 6 moths fire doesnt mislead you people :) from both murray or nole..they are still child in my eyes..firstly they should prove that can be on the top like 4 5 years like roger or at least 2 3 year like nadal :)

I agree with what you'r saying here except that Murr is not the best player in the world. For the moment Nadal is the best player in the world and over all and considering achievements Federer the best player.

GameSampras
01-11-2009, 04:46 PM
One of the biggest things Murray has seemed to improve on is hit mental toughness just these past few months. Look at how he turned the match around with the line call that went against him against Fed in the 1st set tiebreak. Then the next day how he disposes of Roddick with ease. The old Murray wouldnt have done that. Nor would 99 percent of other players have had that mental toughness to keep on pushing against Fed after losing that heartbreaker in the 1st set.

Djoker doesnt have the mental toughness. At least not yet.. He certainly has the game. But I expect bigger and better things out of murray for his career than I do Djoker. Djoker went down in the 1st round at brisbane didnt he? Winning the YEC should have been the necessary momentum to carry that over into this year. Dethroning Fed and overtaking him at #2 should have been adequate momentum as well. But Djoker failed.

DoubleDeuce
01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
One of the biggest things Murray has seemed to improve on is hit mental toughness just these past few months. Look at how he turned the match around with the line call that went against him against Fed in the 1st set tiebreak. Then the next day how he disposes of Roddick with ease. The old Murray wouldnt have done that. Nor would 99 percent of other players have had that mental toughness to keep on pushing against Fed after losing that heartbreaker in the 1st set.

Djoker doesnt have the mental toughness. At least not yet.. He certainly has the game. But I expect bigger and better things out of murray for his career than I do Djoker. Djoker went down in the 1st round at Doha didnt he? Winning the YEC should have been the necessary momentum to carry that over into this year. Dethroning Fed and overtaking him at #2 should have been adequate momentum as well. But Djoker failed.

Djoker went down in Brisbane... yeah Murray has improved for sure but also can Djoker. I am hoping so anyways because I enjoy watching him way more than Murray.

sheq
01-12-2009, 12:55 AM

Djoker doesnt have the mental toughness. At least not yet.. He certainly has the game. But I expect bigger and better things out of murray for his career than I do Djoker. Djoker went down in the 1st round at brisbane didnt he? Winning the YEC should have been the necessary momentum to carry that over into this year. Dethroning Fed and overtaking him at #2 should have been adequate momentum as well. But Djoker failed.

you cant blame him for one match..plus, nole has a storng mental game too its just he is not in fire like murray is in these days we should wait and see how murray react when he wont be on his top form

Thor
01-12-2009, 01:04 AM
When both are on i expect Djokovic to have the edge,his attacking style matches well with Murrays defensive game.

madmanfool
01-12-2009, 01:30 AM
The Murray I saw in Doha played more agressive than I'm used to see from him. He was not taking away the speed of the ball like you put it. He was cranking it up big time.
Compared to Djokovic, Murray serves better and is better defensively because of better movement and court positioning.

SempreSami
01-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Djoker went down in Brisbane... yeah Murray has improved for sure but also can Djoker. I am hoping so anyways because I enjoy watching him way more than Murray.

You'd say you enjoy watching the Williams sisters more than Murray, given the choice. :roll:

David L
01-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Carlos Moya's assessment.

AAMI CLASSIC

Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club

Wednesday, 14 January 2009

CARLOS MOYA

Q. As a matter of experience, Murray and Djokovic, which one

do you think will be the best at the end of their career?

I know it is very difficult, but do you think they are the

same level or do you think one is more?

A. It's two different style of games totally. Djokovic, when

he is playing well he is very complete. He serves well,

returns, hits very hard. Murray, I think he is playing

very smart. He has improved his serve and he makes the

opponent play, I wouldn't say bad but not play his best

tennis, you know. I'm talking very well about him. He is

very smart and he mixes the game very well, serves and

volleys, he slices, he puts high balls and hits hard. You

don't know what to expect from him and that's something

really annoying for the opponent, you know, but both are

great players and I cannot say because I don't really know

who is going to be the better player.

Q. In their head do you think they are tough the same way,

which is most important?

A. Maybe Murray is tougher, but Djokovic is tough. That shows

that his mentality is great. So they are both great

players and it's hard to say who is going to be better.

http://www.aamiclassic.com.au/Media

msc886
01-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Murray would be more annoying to the opponent simplay because he is more unpredictable. Djokovic at the moment is very good but I predict that players will start to figure his game out. Murray is harder to read.