PDA

View Full Version : Tips on installing grommets?

wmoore
01-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I have always struggled with installing replacement grommets in my racquets. They always seem just a little bit too small to reach all the holes - so one side does not line up quite right.

Do any of you guys (generic) have a tip for installing them and getting them to line up right? I've even resorted to cutting them into three pieces which actually works pretty well, but I'd like to keep them in one piece if I can figure out how.

thanks

Vermillion
01-10-2009, 11:41 AM
push harder, or if u have a pen or an awl, you can use those to "guide" specific holes

lawlitssoo1n
01-10-2009, 12:25 PM
i just put mine in for my kblade tour. OMG the head gaurd(the top) is the hardest part to put in. i started from one end and tried to finish at the other. but it wouldn't go in. so i just started out in the middle and it works fine.

Lindsay
01-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I start on one end, use finishing tape to hold it down, then use an awl to pop grommets in working towards the other side. Works like a charm...

tennisfreak15347
01-10-2009, 01:55 PM
use an awl to guide the grommets into the frame.

SteveI
01-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I have always struggled with installing replacement grommets in my racquets. They always seem just a little bit too small to reach all the holes - so one side does not line up quite right.

Do any of you guys (generic) have a tip for installing them and getting them to line up right? I've even resorted to cutting them into three pieces which actually works pretty well, but I'd like to keep them in one piece if I can figure out how.

thanks

Warm the bumperguard/grommets with a hair dryer. It will make it easier to work with.. and all other tips listed above are great ideas also. Good luck.

TokyopunK
01-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Always remain calm, do not get angry if they do not fit at first. Do not slam the racquet on the ground in anger. Do not stab the strings with the awl and then cause them to snap and then get emotionally unstable and break your racquet on the ground.

This is from personal experience.

dancraig
01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Twist ties can also be used to hold things in place while you work on another side, and until you get some string in there.

Booyah
01-10-2009, 03:20 PM
yeah. definitely use hair dryer and awl. hair dryer helps alot and use the awl to finish it up.

migjam
01-10-2009, 03:30 PM
On the head guard, I always start in the middle and work my way out. I also ALWAYS use an awl.

wmoore
01-10-2009, 04:03 PM
so you're saying I should NOT slam the racquet into the ground. I just KNEW there was something wrong with my technique. It was somehow satisfying though. :)

SoCal10s
01-10-2009, 05:14 PM
soak in hot water for a while so the plastic get a bit pliable then use an awl from the inside of the frame and go through the plastic grommets,then push the grommet in through the hole fit....

jim e
01-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Always remain calm, do not get angry if they do not fit at first. Do not slam the racquet on the ground in anger. Do not stab the strings with the awl and then cause them to snap and then get emotionally unstable and break your racquet on the ground.

Punk:
From your personel experiences how could you stab the strings with awl,would they not already be removed, as it would be impossible to install grommets with strings in place, no?

tennisfreak15347
01-10-2009, 06:05 PM

well from MY personal experience. I tried to stab the strings with an awl in an attempt to break them. it didn't work, even with a clean shot.

Vermillion
01-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Punk:
From your personel experiences how could you stab the strings with awl,would they not already be removed, as it would be impossible to install grommets with strings in place, no?

good deduction