PDA

View Full Version : Serve weight transferring?

wishsong
01-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I can serve, that's not what this topic is about. I want to know how to put more power into my serves, and I already know about using your legs and rotation. But what about my weight? As I throw the ball up do I have to shift all my weight onto my back foot, and then shift it forward as I swing? Or does it not matter?

phoenicks
01-10-2009, 04:11 PM
rocking your weight backward and forward as you prepare to get into trophy pose is actually not a determinant of a powerful serve, look at Andy Roddick and Gael Monfils. And as or shifting your weight forward for a powerful serve, 2 things are important,

1) does your upper body lean back enough?? is it pronounced? Do you lead with you hip??
for more info, Will from FYB have have talk about it here: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HgeYmEScfgQ

2)Did you have a deep knee bend???

Actually, up until the trophy pose, everything is just for pose only, if you really want to simplify your serve and still have a powerful 1.

Of course, the above 2 I mentioned is just the weight transfer essentials of a good serve, there's still other variables involved in the making of a good serve, i.e fast racquet head speed, Pronation, how fast you rotates your body, and most importantly, precise timing & feel.

SystemicAnomaly
01-10-2009, 06:33 PM
... As I throw the ball up do I have to shift all my weight onto my back foot, and then shift it forward as I swing? Or does it not matter?

Nope. Normally the weight is on the back foot prior to commencing the ball toss -- it does not stay there while you are tossing. The weight is typically shifted as your tossing arm moves upward to release the ball. The weight distribution when the ball is released may vary from one server to the next. Some players may have 60% on the front foot or even nearly equal distribution. Others may have something closer to 80% on the front foot. In the absence of pressure plate studies, these are mere guesses on my part.

Note, however, that both legs are responsible for leg drive during the serve. The leg extension precede the arm extension -- the legs drive upward as the racket is dropped behind the back. Therefore the legs extend just prior to the upward swing of the racket head in order to achieve an optimal kinetic/power transfer.

Since the rear leg/foot extends and the leave the ground first, this tends to push the body both upward and forward. The front leg can also contribute to the forward drive, but it appears to primarily drive upward. Take a look at the FYB video on leg drive:

au.youtube.com/watch?v=HfFwnqZAf7I&feature=channel (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HfFwnqZAf7I&feature=channel)

wishsong
01-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks. After seeing that video my serve needs a lot of work since my racket doesn't drop that far down and I don't use my legs at that level. Yeah, so basically my serve could improve like 50% >_>