PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question concerning limewire/itunes/ipod

oneguy21
01-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Ok,

I have songs ( 8 ) that I downloaded from limewire and put into itunes a long time ago. Does my chances of getting caught by the authorities increase if was to put these songs from itunes onto my ipod now?

Sorry for the naivity of the question.

Also, do songs from limewire corrupt your ipod?

TokyopunK
01-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Nope and Nope

tennisguy49
01-10-2009, 03:25 PM
YO dawg. ur chanes of geting caught on limewire are like your chances of getting in bed with two fine ***** chicks

oneguy21
01-10-2009, 03:42 PM
^^^Thanks for telling me the SWAT team is coming to my house.

ShcMad
01-10-2009, 03:57 PM
YO dawg. ur chanes of geting caught on limewire are like your chances of getting in bed with two fine ***** chicks

You might be my favorite new user from these boards.

ThugNasty
01-10-2009, 04:03 PM
^^^Thanks for telling me the SWAT team is coming to my house.
hahah you played it off beautifully oneguy21

Ballinbob
01-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I have 400 songs from limewire and I'm still alive lol.

J-man
01-10-2009, 04:44 PM
You should be fine man.

oneguy21
01-10-2009, 04:50 PM
I have 400 songs from limewire and I'm still alive lol.

Well my question was really if putting them on my ipod would increase my risk. Now that I think of it, what a stupid quesiton that is! But watch out. I did some research online and the way they catch people illegally downloading songs from limewire is very, very complex and equally as scary. It's not the popular "they trace your ip address crap." The truth is scary. :twisted:

Ballinbob
01-10-2009, 04:54 PM
I have my songs on my ipod if that makes you feel any better.

And is limewire illegal? I didn't know that, all my friends recommended it so I just did it and never even thought if it was legal or not. You gotta admit though, limewire is pretty good

oneguy21
01-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I have my songs on my ipod if that makes you feel any better.

And is limewire illegal? I didn't know that, all my friends recommended it so I just did it and never even thought if it was legal or not. You gotta admit though, limewire is pretty good

I have gotten mixed answers concerning the legality of limewire, but if you have songs on your ipod from limewire, yes. What you're doing is illegal. How authorities catch you is another story -very complex. There were 55 million limewire users last year and 1500 lawsuits suing the users who downloaded songs. Basically, the more you download, the more riskier it is. If you get caught we're talking fines and maybe even jail time.

Ballinbob
01-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Well that's just gay... Jail time for this type of thing is riddiculous. Maybe itunes should make all their songs free then, but until then I'm sticking with limewire. I'm going to laugh if I go to jail for this type of thing

oneguy21
01-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Well that's just gay... Jail time for this type of thing is riddiculous. Maybe itunes should make all their songs free then, but until then I'm sticking with limewire. I'm going to laugh if I go to jail for this type of thing

Most people just do it anyway.

Storm_Kyori
01-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Why would they create Limewire and then sue ppl for using it? Also I think LW is good for those hard to find songs.

Ballinbob
01-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Why would they create Limewire and then sue ppl for using it? Also I think LW is good for those hard to find songs.

Its good for everything. I've downloaded movies off of it too and they're good quality and all. Limewire is da *****

BetterTen
01-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Laughing in jail ... hum, Comedy behind bars ,,,, sounds like fun -- not!

adams_1
01-10-2009, 05:45 PM

It's legal to have Limewire or any of the other p2p programs (Shareaza is always good). It's downloading copyrighted material that is illegal.

They? The people behind Limewire are not the people who want to sue you.

Be careful, most forums do not like you talking about illegal activities... so don't tell us you're downloading things you shouldn't be. Not that you are, cause this is all hypothetical... right? ;)

EPaps
01-10-2009, 07:21 PM

hahahahahaha

Storm_Kyori
01-10-2009, 07:50 PM
It's legal to have Limewire or any of the other p2p programs (Shareaza is always good). It's downloading copyrighted material that is illegal.

They? The people behind Limewire are not the people who want to sue you.

Be careful, most forums do not like you talking about illegal activities... so don't tell us you're downloading things you shouldn't be. Not that you are, cause this is all hypothetical... right? ;)

Yeah...of course. So I've heard from ppl who download that stuff. :wink:I meant to say if they know ppl download from that program, why not shut "it" down instead of coming after folks who just accidentally stumble upon it. :confused:

adams_1
01-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah...of course. So I've heard from ppl who download that stuff. :wink:I meant to say if they know ppl download from that program, why not shut "it" down instead of coming after folks who just accidentally stumble upon it. :confused:

Fairly hard to shut down - it's people sharing with other people. There's no server in a small island nation they can raid or anything. And you could use it for non copyrighted things, of course. They could only really sue the makers of Limewire, but then there are plenty of other p2p programs out there.

pfchang
01-10-2009, 09:35 PM
here's an idea. If you're that scared of Limewire, try torrenting.

not exactly any faster, but "technically" legal.

adams_1
01-10-2009, 10:32 PM
here's an idea. If you're that scared of Limewire, try torrenting.

not exactly any faster, but "technically" legal.

And far easier to find what you're looking for without sorting through the rubbish. I'd say safer too if you don't do anything silly.

Sentinel
01-10-2009, 11:19 PM
can someone tell me in a nutshell what limewire does. I looked at the website and wikipedia but am not clear.

can i browse songs which others are sharing and download them. Is it like bittorrent - will it use my system to share what i have downloaded ?

Is there a huge library of songs availabe on it ?

thx.

Ballinbob
01-11-2009, 08:30 AM
can someone tell me in a nutshell what limewire does. I looked at the website and wikipedia but am not clear.

can i browse songs which others are sharing and download them. Is it like bittorrent - will it use my system to share what i have downloaded ?

Is there a huge library of songs availabe on it ?

thx.

It has every song that Itunes has and more, and all for free. The movies are free too and there are many high quality ones on there too. It does use your computer to share files with others. At least I think it does, because it tells you at the bottom how many files your sharing. Its basically the whole world sharing their songs with each other. You share your songs, they share their songs, everyone's happy. Its worth it though, get it if you don't have it. Limewire is known to have viruses though, so be smart about the stuff you download. Download the stuff with the most hits. The more hits the more reliable it is usually. If for some reason you don't like it just uninstall it, you have nothing to loose.

oneguy21
01-11-2009, 08:52 AM
It has every song that Itunes has and more, and all for free. The movies are free too and there are many high quality ones on there too. It does use your computer to share files with others. At least I think it does, because it tells you at the bottom how many files your sharing. Its basically the whole world sharing their songs with each other. You share your songs, they share their songs, everyone's happy. Its worth it though, get it if you don't have it. Limewire is known to have viruses though, so be smart about the stuff you download. Download the stuff with the most hits. The more hits the more reliable it is usually. If for some reason you don't like it just uninstall it, you have nothing to loose.

It's a file sharing program, just have firewall a to protect against malware.
You just have to know that your never 100% safe from getting caught by the authorities.

Your only safe 99.99 % percent of the time.

mhstennis100
01-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Is limewire safer than using bittorrents? I use torrents, but my friends all use limewire, and none of us know the answer to the question.

Sentinel
01-11-2009, 07:58 PM
It's a file sharing program, just have firewall a to protect against malware.
You just have to know that your never 100% safe from getting caught by the authorities.
Considering I live in Nigeria, the authorities should be no problemo.
Will try it out --- thanks a lot.

Noveson
01-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Is limewire safer than using bittorrents? I use torrents, but my friends all use limewire, and none of us know the answer to the question.

Both are relatively safe if you use them correctly. Don't download movies, good way to get caught. Don't download anything that doesn't have .mp3 at the end, could have a virus.

Bittorrents work like the more you share the more you get. Limewire is p2p and doesnt do that. You can choose not to share. Thats why a lot of old songs it says 'need more sources'. Not enough people sharing it.