PDA

View Full Version : Lost Control With Natural Gut

BONZO13
01-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I just put Wilson Natural in the Mains @ 60 pounds and BB Rough in crosses @ 58 pounds. I only had a chance to hit with it once before I played a tourney and I got SLAUGHTERED. I got beat 6-1 6-0 buy a simple pusher and then got beat 6-1 6-1 buy an inconsistent guy. I simply could not keep the ball down. I tried putting alot more spin and it still I could not drop the ball in the court. I'm not trying to blame my performance on the string, but I dont usually do this....at least not two matches in a row. Does anybody else have this problem? Thanks, John

Zhou
01-10-2009, 06:57 PM
What is your usual set up?

BONZO13
01-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I used to use Wilson NXT, then I switched to Technifibre Pro Redcode in the mains and wilson Synthetic in the crosses. I will also add that I play with a Wilson K Factor 95 16/18 if that makes a difference.

The_Question
01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
I would lower the cross to 55lb instead...

Zhou
01-10-2009, 07:30 PM
All I can say is, don't blame the string, blame the form.

I would say it is your form that is causing the balls to fly and not the string. You should be making adjustments as you play, not be stupid and continue to do the same thing over and over again.

Nanshiki
01-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Probably should have gone higher.

JavierLW
01-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I just put Wilson Natural in the Mains @ 60 pounds and BB Rough in crosses @ 58 pounds. I only had a chance to hit with it once before I played a tourney and I got SLAUGHTERED. I got beat 6-1 6-0 buy a simple pusher and then got beat 6-1 6-1 buy an inconsistent guy. I simply could not keep the ball down. I tried putting alot more spin and it still I could not drop the ball in the court. I'm not trying to blame my performance on the string, but I dont usually do this....at least not two matches in a row. Does anybody else have this problem? Thanks, John

I dont know if this helps, but I had this experience.

Most of the time I used 100% Natural Gut.

But for about 3 months last year I exclusively only used NXT or X1 Biphase.

Then one day I got one of my racquets strung with Gut again. In the first match I couldnt even use it. But after about a week I got used to it again and now I use it all the time.

My feeling is that it takes me awhile to get used to it because I dont feel the impact of the ball hitting it as much, and because of how quiet it is.

And I also feel that because of that it somewhat screws up my technique, I dont believe that it necessarily hits the ball all that much faster or that I lose any control because of it.

In any event I wouldnt make such a major change right before a tourney.

Think about it, you just made a huge change to your string bed. You wouldnt go out and buy a completely new racquet that close to a tournament would you? Changing the string dynamics that drastically (from poly mains to gut mains) is probably just as bad, the ball touches the strings.....

As far as evaluating whether you can use it or not, some people just have trouble with the notion that it may take awhile to get used to something different (because feel is important) before they can find out if it works for them or not.

Kevo
01-10-2009, 09:01 PM
When I was testing the various natural guts a couple of years ago I came to the conclusion that gut just wasn't for me. It was too soft I think. I kept hitting the ball too hard. I strung my last set up at 65lbs., and at the time I was playing with some strings as low as 50lbs. in that same frame. Even at 65lbs. I was still launching some balls into the back fence. I'm sure I could have gotten used to it after a while, but I figured why waste the money when I was doing fine with cheaper strings.

The gut that I was able to use the best happened to be Klip Legend. It seemed to have more control. Maybe it was stiffer than the others. I think it still would have needed to go up a few lbs. or be prestretched even then, but I liked it the best.

The_Question
01-10-2009, 09:56 PM
When I was testing the various natural guts a couple of years ago I came to the conclusion that gut just wasn't for me. It was too soft I think. I kept hitting the ball too hard. I strung my last set up at 65lbs., and at the time I was playing with some strings as low as 50lbs. in that same frame. Even at 65lbs. I was still launching some balls into the back fence. I'm sure I could have gotten used to it after a while, but I figured why waste the money when I was doing fine with cheaper strings.

Exactly, those are the reasons why I'm still using syn gut and kevlar. I'm sure natural gut have good feel and playability, but no need to waste more money and have to re-adjust my game play...

falc
01-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I experienced the exact same frustration in my last fray into NG. In the end cut short and went back to my old string setup. I don't exactly know what's wrong, i think it's a combination of lousy form which got accentuated by the feel and power of NG.

Now i won't change my setup unless i have another same racquet with the same string to fall back on.