PDA

View Full Version : Devvarman's chance to prove himself has come

oneguy21
01-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Devvarman will play Cilic in the Chennai Open final on Sunday. Devvarman advanced to his first ATP tour final when Rainer Schuetter withdrew due to a wrist injury.

I hope Somdev will win the title. This is a chance for him to prove that he's got game. Plus he's a fellow Virginian. :)

Mansewerz
01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
What is his new ranking regardless of the final result?

J-man
01-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Rainer could have been a tricky opponent for him even at his advanced age. All the best to Somdev but Cilic should go through him somewhat easily.

sureshs
01-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Didn't happen

edmondsm
01-11-2009, 11:33 AM

He should end up around the 150's.

hoosierbr
01-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Poor Rainer. Finally makes a comeback last year, starts off with a SF in his first tournament of 2009 and then gets injured. He's out of Sydney and possibly the AO. Some guys just can't win. The Germans are cursed - Schuettler, Haas, Kiefer.

Mansewerz
01-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Poor Rainer. Finally makes a comeback last year, starts off with a SF in his first tournament of 2009 and then gets injured. He's out of Sydney and possibly the AO. Some guys just can't win. The Germans are cursed - Schuettler, Haas, Kiefer.

Becker wasn't :D

hoosierbr
01-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Becker wasn't :D

I'm talking of today's generation. Becker did have his share of injuries, mental and physical.:)

NickC
01-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm talking of today's generation. Becker did have his share of injuries, mental and physical.:)

I think he's talking about Ben Becker, not Boris Becker.

hoosierbr
01-11-2009, 03:57 PM

Oh, that's true. My bad. Ben Becker just hasn't developed the way people expected. Neither has Isner. Unfortunately these guys coming out of college have trouble adjusting to the tour although there have been exceptions.

drop volley
01-11-2009, 04:03 PM

Chenai Open Final just getting underway; coverage listed him as # 202.

Mansewerz
01-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Nope, he was right, i'm talking about Boris :D

drop volley
01-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Devvarman will play Cilic in the Chennai Open final on Sunday. Devvarman advanced to his first ATP tour final when Rainer Schuetter withdrew due to a wrist injury.

I hope Somdev will win the title. This is a chance for him to prove that he's got game. Plus he's a fellow Virginian. :)

through the first five games, the play-by-play commentator (perhaps a fanboy of SD) opines that SD is making an unusually high number of unforced errors.

one note about SD and posters not impressed with his game to date: The visually apparent strengths of his game which are so impressive when one watches him play in person don't translate nearly so well to TV screen as do some of the very top players (Sampras, Borg, others) did and do now (Fed, others). much easier to quantify objectively the quality of certain strengths (aces, passing shots, ball control) than others (extreme speed, in point determination, and laser focus).